Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Supreme V220 and what is up with the cheap a** backing plates that the screws on the dash screw into?? They are like $.02 light weight aluminum.

Every time I take my boat out at least one screw comes out and the cheap backing plate piece falls on floor and it is then a really pain in the butt to put it back on and then usually the backing plate is stripped and useless? Anyone have a real fix? The dealership mechanic said he did not see how there could be a fix and that Fineline and Supreme were aware of the problem and do not have a resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Steve, buddy! We've been over this. I have a smoking deal on a slightly used X-Star for ya http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/477043.html?1184864913
Seriously I hope you've gotten settled in to your new place and can make it out with us some time soon! Hit me up buddy.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
steve, what about silicone glue?
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Yeah Matt I saw that deal, think I'll pass but your points in that thread had a lot of validity.

I look for you around the party island on the weekends and at the usual party spots on the lake but never see you?? I have a brand new 1.75L of crown ready to deploy if only it would stop raining!!

I've been getting settled into the new house for the last month but I love living on the lake however I haven't been able to take to much advantage of it as of yet.

You got my digits, call me or email and we can get tore done in the new pad this weekend.

Now back to the backing plates on my boat, I know I'm not the only Supreme owner with this problem what's the real deal fix??
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Adam,

I need to post a picture of the cheap piece of aluminum they use, it takes two people to screw the P.O.S. in...one under the dash holding the plate in place and one to screw in the screw...I guess I could try some type of glue or adhesive.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-19-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I dont know know how supreme's are set up, but can you get a bigger screw and use a bolt?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Ya Try some thread lock.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam87004.htm
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Steve, where on Conroe do you live? My inlaws live on the water in Seven coves and have some other friends who live on the water out there. I'm on lake houston.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Adam I'm in Walden, at the very end of walden road.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Steve... hahaha... I have a V220.. and yes.. the way the dash is constructed is purely cosmetic... I had to replace my combination gauge... and upgraded my Perfect Pass Gauge... pain the but... the flimsy black overlay is pinched to the fake carbon fiber cover... using screws the have random pieces of plastic which you need to somehow pinch the black overlay into... I end up scraping up my arm and wedging in under the dash just to try and hold the pieces in place...

I still have gaps... looks horrible... but oh well... when I have more time.. I will try and find a better solution... let me know how you make out with it!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-19-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
How bout lose the screws and repalce with a stainless steel contersunk phillips headed machine threaded bolt with a washer and nylon lock nut on the back? Two people, one time and they ain't coming lose any more.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-19-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
I had a supreme last year and I could'nt have counted how many screws were stripped out. Every where on the boat. It was unreal. I gave up and sold it. I think they are made very cheap all around
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-20-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Sparky,
Sounds like a good idea but theses cheap backing clips actually are used to "clip" into the back of the dash and used to hold the Instrument cluster in place so not sure that will work but I will look into it. Thanks for the idea.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-20-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
If you post some pics I might have some other ideas...
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-21-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Steve, weren't you in the shop looking at Tige's about the time you bought that Supreme? Hmmmmmm??? I don't think we use those backing plates.J/J....
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Yeah Brandon that was me. Why don't you take this Supreme off my hands and make me a deal on a comparable Tige that I just can't walk away from???
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Steve, definately go check out Brandon's RZ2. Best wake I have ever been on.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-25-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Finally found a fix! Automotive U clamps! A cheap solid fix. They come in a variety of sizes and I needed to by a variey(small, medium, large) I'm hoping this will be a permanent fix. They are much stronger and actually clamp to the inside of the dash rather than just pushing against the inside!
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Steve, are you familiar with the term "Aggie Engineering", your gonna want to let me take a look at this before you proceed.....
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-25-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Matt,

Since most of my friends are "Aggies" I'm very familiar with your type of "engineering" and as soon as I get the stereo fixed I plan on completing the dash so I'll have you over for some technical assistance sessions.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Steve... can you send me a pic of what you used and how you used them... thanks...
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
Brandon
I thought Ace was your favorite actor not rider? ha ha ha ha

(Message edited by whitie on July 26, 2007)