Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    brian1000            03-14-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Has anyone out there had any experience in towing heavy boats with a V6 4Runner (2003)? I'm looking at buying a 2005 X-Star (4250 pounds dry) with tandem trailer (1250 pounds). The towing capacity of the 4Runner is 5300 without the towing package and 6700 with (we're not sure if my girlfriend's truck has it or not). Regardless, if it does, the only change is a new top end gear and an AT cooler.

I currently tow a 1996 Tige 2150 (~2850 dry) with single axle trailer (~750). I haven't had any problems towing that boat or pulling it out of the water with 4 or 5 people in it.

I normally keep my boat at the lake in dry storage and tow it less than a mile total for gas and launching - the launch ramp is shallow with very little slope and no moss - highly textured concrete.

BTW, the truck has factory tires and has somewhere around 260 hp and 283 ft/torque.

What do you think? Would it work? My biggest concern is having her truck get dragged into the lake. :-) She would be seriously pissed.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
i can't imagine a 4 runner towing 6700 with a v6, our 05 tundra has a v8 and tows 6500.

i think youd be pushing it towing something that big if it can tow 5300

Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I say no problem considering the short distance you're towing. Maybe on the first time on the ramp, you might want to have somebody at the helm with their hand on the ignition key just in case.

If you were towing any distance beyond that, I'd say you're gonna rip up your drivetrain. The chassis itself should be fine, although it will sag for sure.

To keep things in perspective:

Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
is that pic for real? is that an acura rl?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-14-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
i definitely think you're at the top end of your capacity. I looked at some 4-runners before I bought my car (03 sequoia) and I think your hitch is rated at 5000. Since your only towing a mile or so, you're probably ok. but I would be real careful. She would probably be seriously pissed if you burn the tranny up too. And i don't think adding a trans cooler should add to your towing capacity. I guess you're within 500 lbs of where it should be. just make sure you run the bilge pump before you pull it out the water
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Toyota is pretty good about setting their towing capacities to sane levels unlike some auto makers (looking at you, Dodge). Assuming you have a gentle slope, I wouldn't be too worried about dragging the truck into the lake.

Engine is no real indicator of towing capacity though it may make a difference in towing power. The only thing an engine will indicate is which rear end/tranny a lot of automakers put on your vehicle now. A lot of automakers like to force you into the V-8 so they put a weak rear end on their lesser engines so you can't tow with them. My 1991 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V-6 (all they had on it back then) is rated to tow up to 6500 and has comfortably towed 5000 for me in the past on some long and curvy but relatively flat trips. Now that's based on a lot of factors that are listed in the owner's manual. That year model can be as low as 3500lbs towing.

I'd call a Toyota service department and see if they can give you your specific vehicle's towing capacity based on the VIN (sales will typically lie and give you the max towing capacity assuming the most beneficial options package). You can probably even ask them if there's anything you can do to up that capacity.

Then you still need to take nacho's advice and make sure your hitch and receiver can handle the load even if Toyota gives you the ok.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-14-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
It is not about whether or not you can tow it, it is CAN YOU STOP IT? I am sure I could pull my X2 down the freeway with my Honda accord, but I know I could not stop it. I use a Ford Expedition for towing, load range D tires (stiffer sidewalls equal less bounce), I can not even tell its is back there.
Old    brian1000            03-14-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hmm... The trailer is a tandem axle with brakes, so I don't think stopping will be a big problem. The truck weighs around 5200 pounds too, so...
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-14-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
I tow to my ramp..1/4 mile.No hills great flat boat ramp.And Only in an emergency. The weight of my xstar will drag our 4runner down the ramp if it was wet or steep. Dont do it if at all possible. 99 v6
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-14-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Upload
Old    brian1000            03-14-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Yeah, I can see that for sure - the 99 4Runner is something like 3000 pounds isn't it? Her's is closer to 5000. It weights as much as most pickups, and I don't see those getting pulled in. I guess the only way to find out is going to be to give it a try.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-14-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
Brian the more important thing to consider than towing is Stoping!!! you may be rated to tow 5000 lbs but if the boat out weighs the car its going to push you around a whole bunch.
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-14-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
I towed an 05 X-Star with a V6 Touareg for a while including several trips of 200miles. You will have no problems over short distances but will def. lack power for longer trips as well have braking/tranny issues. If you are keeping it close to the water you will be ok but as the others say try it and see.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-14-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Listen I own a 2005 Moomba XLV and I tow it with a 98 4WD Toyota 4runner I will tell you it well do it but I caution you. I upgraded the front rotors and pads with higher heat cap. I only have to go short distances with it but it is pushing it's abilites.
When I need to go further than normal I use my fathers Navigater. The yo will pull it just be cautious and brake early.

Pease
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
i have a 2005 xlv as well the boat is 3600lb and the trailer is about 1100lb so just under 5000lb and that's a lot less than a x star
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
My boy B used to tow his Xstar with his 4runner it did the job but after 4 years it did take it's toll on the tranny. If that is all you have right now just remember to upgrade in a year or two.
ITCH
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
So it's settled then - the late model 4Runners are big enough to handle the stopping problems and traction on the launch ramp, but with the V-6 you wouldn't want to do Shasta, Powell, Havasu, Apache and Lewisville in the same year. Might take you all year to do it, and might put a new tranny in each year.

Remember, you're talking kind ramp and short distances. And 4x4.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I doubt a boat would pull the truck into the water. It might pull it down the ramp, but wouldn't the load be removed once the boat hits the water and starts to float? Still, it would scare the piss out of you either way.............
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
One of the guys in my ski club has a Landcruiser V8 to tow his X-star. He hates it, says it's waay underpowered, squats terribly when hooked up, etc. I can't imagine towing the X-star with the 4Runner, not for much distance anyway.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
You should rename the thread "pushing a 4 runner with a x star", lol. Hope everything works out. Definitely keep that thing in 4x4 on the ramp if you got it.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
We tow our Malibu response lx with a 96 explorer. It has 4 wheel drive and really helps pulling it out. I know our boat is 3000lbs lighter then the x-star, but 4 wheel drive makes a huge difference.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-14-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
I think you're going to hurt the truck ro have an accident. The boat loaded up is going to be pretty heavy. You can also hurt the tranny and drivetrain. I wouldn't do it, not worth the risk.
Old    brian1000            03-15-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Yeah, looks like I'm giving up on the 4Runner. I'm off to look at Range Rovers today - that will definitely pull the X-Star. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
My buddy used to tow his Maristar (23') up to Tahoe from Sacto with his Mitsubishi. It wasn't pretty, but it did it. Can you say full throttle?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-15-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
A friend tows a 2005 VLX with a 2001 Tacoma 2WD. It's funny looking but can get it done. The best part is, the thing is a manual. I've had that things back end all over the place trying to get out of a slippery ramp. Just give it the indian war holler and get er outta there!!
Old     (kaben)      Join Date: Apr 2001 Location: Sacramento, CA       03-15-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
I have a 06 Tacoma and can't feel a difference in towing from my 2001 Chevy Silverado. I do however get better gas mileage. I’m also not towing an X-star. My boat, lead and trailer are about 4200lbs
Old     (darty)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-15-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about it, especially since it is a late model 4Runner. The Landcruiser is no good for comparison as it is way underpowered. But you're only going a short way, so as long as you stay slow backing it in & pulling it out you shouldn't have any problems at all.