Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
Questions for the masses grant/clay/duane/jim/GP
I have wired up my addiction about five different ways without giving all my ideas away before I get some of yours has anyone run these at 2ohms instead of 4ohms and if so what kinda wattage did you test them at.
also will it smoke a Memphis 3004 if I run it as a 4ch an also bridge it at the same time?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
Not to many people run these showing amps a 2ohm load, b/c they take alot of power. not to many amps are stable @ 2ohm pushing 300-500 watts per module. There's also arguments that you should run all mid/highs as close to 4ohm as possible. In addition, if you think abotu it running a pair of addction in parallel (2ohm) would produce the same output as the same amp seeing 4ohms. drop the resistance, you'll increase wattage output , but will have to split it b/c yoru running them in parallel. The best way to run that 3004 is two bridge ch 1&2, and ch 3&4. yes you may get sound out of the speaker running the amp as 4ch and bridging it, but not for long.....
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
dropping impedence trades voltage for current, if the amp is voltage limited it will produce more current but the increase in current may cause it to overheat and fail. Nothing is free it's best to run it as Adam describes, even then you will be pushing the amp twice as hard as it was designed to be pushed. Two channels bridged into 4 ohms = one channel into 2 ohms from a loading standpoint. Some of the more expensive amps are current regulated and can be run into very low impedence loads but they do not produce more power.

Pushing a boat amp into a low impedence load is a double whammy on the amp, lower voltage than design (<14.4v) plus the higher current... do you smell smoke yet?
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-27-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
no i don't smell smoke (yet) i'll have to read adams post again but I'm not as concerned with burning up a 350$ amp as I am with smoking voice coils in the set of speakers I would really rather not burn the amp tho if I have to I'll smoke the amp to find out but I choose not to chance the speakers. I also have 2
memphis 300's running one each bridged to 1 addiction cough's out 480watts to each but it seems as if they are more then willing to give up some more sound and with the 3004 running as a 4ch with a pair of polk 6500's or 1 pair @ 4ohms and then bridge 1 addiction across both channel this sounds the best and produces the most volume and is still clear I know the addiction is @ 2.0 thats gonna produce 115watts to each momo and more then 230 watts to the addiction because the amp is 230 bridged @ 4 ohms so @ 2 ohms it will be more but not double this.
this is the best sounding configuration at any sound lvl.with the amps I have at my disposal what is thought of this or did you guys understand that I had it wired that way from the beginning and still have the same response.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
One more thing...

I find mine sounds a little stronger if I wire the RCA's L+R mono. You won't hear mono out of the tower anyway.

Lin - 1,3
Rin - 2,4

1+2 out to L
3+4 out to R

You should be able to do it with a pair of RCA Ys.