Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    bross            02-19-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Yesterday I went to my local board shop to buy a new pair of bindings. I put the 2004 Parks binding on my right foot and the 2004 Temet bindings on my left foot. Both bindings felt great and my foot seemed secure in each of them. I did have some issues that I need all of your help on. The parks bindings put a lot of pressure on the upper end of the top of my foot if that makes sense. Is this because its a new binding? My other question is, how durable the BOA system is. The bindings only have a one year warranty. Anybody had any problems with the BOA system breaking?
Old    blindsiderider            02-19-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
I have used the BOA system for a year now. I ride alot (3 times a week in the winter and 5 to 7 times a week in the summer) I ride them pretty hard and I have no problems with them. In fact 3 of us in my Crew have the BOA system and none of us have had any problem. I love them I dont even tighten them until I get up, then with one hand I can reach down and tighten them up as I am riding. Now when you recieve them they come with an extra set of cables. That kind of worried me at first because I thought that might be a sign that they break often. But Like I said, no problems. Get them they are great.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            02-19-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
I ride the parks boots - love them. I have personally seen two sets of Byerly boots break with the BOA system. The plastic knob has broken in both cases. Recommend you talk to Sean Jackson here on WW - his Byerlys broke and he replaced with Parks. He would be best to ask b/c he has owned both types.

I will say this though - The Parks do stretch just a little but if they dont feel good - then dont buy them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-19-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
sick boots both ways. I rode the parks in '02 and start of '03 and loved them. The '02s broke a lot, but the newer ones seem to have the problems worked out. The byerlys are sick too, although mine broke within three rides. I think I may have just had back luck though.....one of the guys I ride with still has his original set (a year later). We also ride a lot 5-6 times a week. Get whichever are most comfortable. If you have a good boardshop they'll make sure you are take care of if you have a problem.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-19-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
A lot of the '03 Byerly bindings were breaking. They re-designed the boa system on them for '04 and it is more durable. If you are looking at '04s, you shouldn't have a problem with them.
Old    bross            02-19-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
I don't mean to be rude guys, but how durable is the BOA system on the TEMETS.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-19-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
I don't know if anyone has been riding them long enough to comment, but I would suspect that if the boa on the Byerly's is holding up, then the boa on the Temets will hold up too. Looking at the design I would say the Byerly's put more stress on the boa ratchet tightening down the whole front of the boot.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            02-19-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
Last weekend a friend, who was using Byerly's, didnt jump away from the swim step far enough (when getting in the water) and caught the plastic knob on the swim step breaking it off. On the Temets, the knob is in front so it is protected from things like this.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
as long as you lock the BOA before putting foot in/out your good...leave the BOA open and SNAP
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
ive had no problems with my temets. the best way to make a new set of bindings fit like they were designed for you is by heating them up so they are nice and hot with a hair dryer and then slippin your feet into them and lettin them mold to your feet.
Old    upupnaway            02-23-2004, 5:48 AM Reply   
What you said about the parks makes perfect sense Brian. Look at the lacing on the parks. The laces are on the side of the boot, and when you tighten them, it pulls the center peice downwards.
parks
The Tement's laces are top center. when you tighten them, the sides squeeze inwards.
tement
I went with the parks for the pressure on the top of my foot. the bindings that laced up the middle squished the sides of my feet too much.
Hope I helped.

(Message edited by upupnaway on February 23, 2004)
Old    upupnaway            02-23-2004, 5:53 AM Reply   
If you pulled too hard on the last lace on top of the foot, that could definately create extra pressure.
You got a tough choice. I love my parks, but the temets look awesome as well.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-23-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
I ride the temets and have had 0 issues with them- I rode the parks for the last 2 years and when my parks overlay ripped bill @ performance gave me a super upgrade to temets (thanks bill!). with the temet bindings you should tighten the laces BEFORE you put your foot in the binding and leave them set like that- it is so that your foot will not slide forward in the binding- That's straight from Shaun Murray- good luck.... both bindings are top notch
Old    veganx            02-23-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
I do all the warranty at our shop and I've only seen one BOA system come back broken. That's a better track record than most lace-up bindings have.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-23-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
I had the '04 Byerlys and I loved almost everything about them except the BOA. I rode once or twice a week with them until they broke which was only after about 20 days. The knob sheared off even though I was very careful with them (against the swim step, storing them, etc.). Also, the adjustment on them could stand to have had a higher ratio/ratchet.

I returned the bindings to the dealership and they were going to warrantee them, but it would have taken about 2 weeks and that was precious water time I did not want to lose. Instead, they allowed me to trade them in (plus pay the 20 sum odd dollars difference) on some '04 Parks.

I personally like the Parks more because of the lack of the BOA system, and the adjustability of both the rear and over the foot. The ride is much the same but I like the fit of the Parks. With the Byerlys the front of the boot was always too loose and it would sometimes allow the tongue to flap forward/down. The Parks actually wraps around my lower leg/ankle instead of just applying pressure to the back and only part of the front like the Byerlys would.

Brian,
My Parks had the same pressure on the top of my foot but after breaking them in it has gone away. Perhaps the Temet has the best of both worlds (the Byerlys and the Parks). I have never riden in them so I could not tell you. Bottom line, ride in each of the bindings you are considering (if possible) and judge for yourself.

P.S. sorry for the long wind.