Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (eviltwin)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Me and my friend are 16 years old and love to wakeboard. We recently found a 1990 Correct Craft Sport Nautique. The boat has 280 original hours, has been in storage for the past years and is in immaculate shape. The bottom has been painted. We can pick it up for what seems to be a great price, $3000. The boat needs a tune-up along with some changes such as the battery and possibly the starter and also needs 2 new belts but the seller is willing to take care of all this. We saw the boat yesterday and it looks great. How well will this boat hold its value 6-10 years from now? Good investment? Please let me know your take as soon as possible and THANKS SO MUCH!
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Don't look at it as an investment. If the boat is in decent shape and the seller is willing to fix said issues, I say go for it. Look at it as a great way for 2 young guys to get out on the water and have some great times on. Do you live close to a lake or will you need your parents to take the boat for you?
Old     (eviltwin)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
We will be trailering it to a boat launch that is 1 town away. In several months we will be driving so this will not be a problem. I am just concerned that we will have issues in a few years that we cannot afford to fix. Are you familiar with this specific correct craft?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
With a pre-1993 Nautique, I would be more concerned about rotten stringers/floors than the items you listed. $3000 is well below market value on that boat, so who knows. If it has been bottom-painted though, its a good bet it sat in the water for extended periods of time, which would increase the chances of stringer/flooring issues. A price that low, it would lead me to believe the owner is trying to dump a boat with larger issues than just engine-related items.

Just my opinion. For 3k, you cant really go wrong if you get a few seasons out of it. Boats are never to be looked at as investments, they are money holes on the water. Many new boaters are able to afford the boat, but not the service and wear and tear cost that comes with it. After the 3k buy-in, how much money roughly are you going to have per year to keep this thing running?

Last edited by MattieK27; 09-14-2010 at 2:54 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-14-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Very low price for that boat. Run it, in teh water if possible, and check oil for signs of water (milky) which would be improper winterization and needing a new engine. Also check floors for soft spots as well as soft stringers. Bring a wrench and try tightening some motor mount/transmission mount bolts. They should be tight (don't crank on them real hard though) or tighten up quickly. If they spin easily the stringers are rotten. All depends on how much work you're willing to do or willing to learn how to do. If the boat is in overall decent condition even iif it has some issues you can probably get a few seasons out of it. Don't expect to get anywhere near what you put into it when time to sell/upgrade comes. It's hard to sell any boat in this market, much less an older boat that may be in rough condition.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Seems like a great price on a descent boat. You can bet it will have some dry rot issues though..... hoses, belts, gaskets, upholstery, stitching, tires, bunks, rollers, brake lines, etc. Most of this you can do yourself, and the rest you could get done in the winter to help save some money.

Rot in the stringers could be a stopper for me though. Easiest way to test it is to put a wrench on the bolts that hold the motor mounts in the stringer. Might be a good idea to have a mechanic look it over.
Old     (eviltwin)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I will certainly check out the bolts next time I see the boat. Matt, I have other fishing boats and so does my dad so I know how much a boat can cost. However, I have never dealt with a ski boat with an inboard engine before. I would spend up to $500 per year on maintenance if that is possible?
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Good luck John and let us know what you find out. I think everyone who's posted, myself included hopes you find a good boat for a great price.
Old     (eviltwin)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-14-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Thank you for all of your helpful information. But as far as the wake and how this boat handles? Has anyone ever had one? How is the wake for wakeboarding?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
Same hull as a super air nautique= steep and as big as u want it to be. Which motor does the boat have? If it's a 351 it's pretty much bulletproof
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Btw I have a 2001 super air which is the same hull and w 3400 lbs of ballast we run it is thigh to hip high
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
Sorry guys but not the same hull as the Super Air. That hull didn't start until 1993. I owned a 1990 Sport Nautique for many years and with 1500 pound it puts out a nice steep wake. It is an all around great boat that will take you a looong time to outgrow. Cant go wrong for that price imo
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-19-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
i have one and its about to be on craigslist for 12,500$ with fct and loud stereo so the price is good.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
You may want to wait and see if you can find a decent deal on a mastercraft from the same era. I had a 1989 prostar 190 and it didn't have wood stringers so you don't have to worry about rot. I don't know the exact year they went to all-fiberglass construction but it was sometime before 1989. I know up here in Seattle there are people selling really nice looking ones for ~5k. I sold mine for $6k a month ago and it had a sweet samson tower on it already.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-20-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
I just sold one for 8K that had about 700 hours. They are great boats I would check the stingers and floor. There is a piece of wood behind the motor box that is a great place to start if that piece of wood is not rotted or changed out. Also check to make sure the moter mount bolts don't spin free. Last I would check the wood under the seats they also rot out. That is a steal I already miss my sport nautique.