Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-24-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
I just started into my core classes for my B.S. in Enviromental Science, with a concentration in Water Quality. Any one here on the same path, or in the work force? If so what do you do, what do you want to do?
This stuff is intresting. I am currently loving telling my friends that I am Enviromental Sci major, then explaining how that DOES NOT mean I am a tree hugger. THe first day of class, thats what our teacher said. "I have worked for several major oil companies. I am no tree hugger".
First day of class we spent two hours taliing about Zebra mussels. And that is what I got into this major for.
NERD HEAVEN
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-24-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
I've been working in the environmental consulting field for six and a half years up here in the sometimes frigid world of Alberta, Canada. I went to school for a technical diploma in biological sciences; environmental sciences and then picked up an applied degree in environmental management majoring in reclamation and remediation. I now find myself doing a masters program for environment and management.

So yes I am with, and no I am not a tree hugger. Going through school my father always joked to his trades buddies that "I'm going to see my son hanging off the side of a green peace boat". Yeah... it hasn't happened and it won't. That's not for me. Progression through hands on work with industry. Don't tell them what they cannot do, work with them on what they can.

The majority of the work I do involves groundwater and soil quality testing and clean up. It's not the glamorous field I thought I was getting into. It's had ups and downs and I've spent many a day away from home galloping all over a rather large province and into neighbouring provinces. It's been an interesting career path and I've seen more small towns than I ever wanted and also some epic scenery.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-26-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
I work on a Brownsville/Superfund site, and we do steam remediation on what used to be a wood treatment facility.

There are 80 more sites just like it from the mouth of the Coumbia River to its first dam. Almost every one of them have engineering firms that are doing environmental impact, and Water/Soil quality studies in prep for remediation. All these firms hire are ES for thier BS.

The NW is thick with Environmental, Engineering, and consulting firms because there are rivers everywhere and because of the heavy industry in the past. Anytime there is any development on or near the water the state requires a healthy dose of "studies" done on the site.

= lots-O-work!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-06-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
any hydrologists?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-09-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
From my experience hydrogeologists are in greater demand than hydrologists