Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
I am thinking about dedicating my PPI PCX 4125 to my Wetsounds double Up's only.

How would you wire this up?

125 watts x 4 @ 2 ohm
100 watts x 4 @ 4 ohm
500 watts x 2 Bridged
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-12-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
There is only one way. In 4 ch mode 100x4.

As you have four 4 ohm speakers. You cannot get the 2 ohm load across all 4 chs unless you had eight 4 ohm speakers. And then you would be spliting the power anyway.

Only other option would be to use it as a 2 ch amp on one of the pairs. But would probably be overkill. 500x2 at 4 ohms.

So just hook it up with one speaker per channel and see how it sounds compared to how you have it now.

You are using half of it now. So you are at 125x2 to the Double UP. So you are getting 62.5 watts per speaker.

So you will be increasing your power by 40 watts or so.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
I made a typo on the amps specs...

It should read:

4x125 @ 4 ohm
4x250 @ 2 ohm

Does this change anything?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-12-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Nope, you are still only able to use that amp in 4 ch-4 ohm mode with 4 speakers. So only diff is 125x4.

Ignore the 2 ohm rating as it does not apply in this application.

But based on that spec. You had it hooked up on 2 chs and 2 ohm. So 250x2 split between the 4 speakers. So in theory, 125 per speaker.

Although now, running the amp at 4 ohms. Will give you some head room as you will not be running that amp at 2 ohms. So it will be able to play cleaner and cooler.

Plus you can gain the MB-8 on their own as well as the 60's on thier own. So you can cross over the MB-8 lower and gain it how it should be. And cross the 60's over a bit higher to get cleaner sound.

So just be being able to do this. You should notice a big difference. Even if the power is not much of a change.

Tim
Wet Sounds