Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    robertt            07-20-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
I posted this on a mastercraft site...but thought you guys would bring it to a different level.

If you had the chance to help design the ultimate boat, what features would you add or change. Who knows, maybe the manufacturers will even read this.

Old    robertt            07-20-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
I will start, just some ideas while I am watching the tour before work:

Here goes (yes I know a lot of this is available aftermarket or on a specific manufacturers boat):

1. Ballast systems that fill with flow in lieu of pumps for faster performance.
2. A rope storage/winder system that works well. We all deal with the ropes....getting newbies to keep from screwing it up is the hard part.
3. Cup holders that you can fit a large Gatorade bottle into yet a beer can will not tip.
4. Power flag option.
5. Storage at the far rear of the boat, look at the new Epic boat. Just a place to throw the shower, lube, trash while you are swimming, etc. This would be a huge advantage. The rear storage is no good for little stuff, especially if you are sitting on it with a ski or board on.

The shower is the same deal, If I am sitting on the cover how do you get to it...and no I don't want the shower sticking out all the time.

6. Fender storage on the smaller boats.
7. A V-drive that is USA waterski approved. I would kill to buy a X2 or X1, but my lake like many others out there only allows USA Waterski approved boats.....grrrrrr.
8. Speakers in the rear of the boat rather than on the tower make a lot of sense to me. Tower speakers are way too loud when in the back seat to be functional for a person behind the boat.
9. Ipod docks on the dash, or universal dock location for a similar product.
10. The option to have NO stereo equipment in the boat, but have it pre-wired with high quality wire. Many people want to buy and install their own speakers and head unit....but dont want to wire anything.
11. Two speed transmission. This one always baffled me, why dont they have it. You could get away with a smaller more efficient engine, and not have to decide between wakeboarding with friends and weight or barefooting when you change the prop. Is it really that hard to do, at least a 2 speed auto.

OK, now a few crazy ones:

12. A dryer system. If you already have a heater, how hard would it be to redirect that heater blower into a heatproof storage container that you could throw a damp towel or shirt into to get it nice and dry (and warm). Have you ever had a wet tshirt in the boat when you didn't want to? I know, I already said it these were the crazy ones...but the crazy ones sometimes separate the best from the rest.

13. Some type of light that does not blind you. I would buy tower lights as I drive at night several times per night, but the glare renders them worse than going by moonlight and looking for shadows. Would a different color or wavelength light help?

14. Why is the driver not in the middle of the boat. The walk through is an issue, but I did see a rendering of a Mastercraft prototype that seemed brilliant. The driver was in the middle (no more hanging over trying to balance the boat when you are alone), huge mirror, can see all the occupants, etc. Wouldn't work well on a smaller boat...but maybe.

15. OK, this is the big one,

This is what I want.....

A wakeboard wake that dissipates immediately.....no more restrictions on boat size or weight....ahhhhhh.

Oh, and a cooler that doesnt need ice. I really NEED to keep cold beer on the boat ALL the time:-)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
An auto beer getter. and a cooler on the swim deck so you don't have to keep getting in and out when your floating.
Old    pate            07-20-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Robert,
the cooler that doesnt need ice can be done. The mini fridge. Have the manufacturer install a refidgeration unit in place of the cooler like in a RV...
Old    sila            07-20-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
I think the only thing that this boat is missing are the Hot bikini girls that are installed in the back. Isn't is about time they come with the boat.....that way you could pick the dimensions
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
How about an "auto balance system". If they put some small tanks that hold about 150lbs each on both sides of the boat. These tanks would fill with water. They could use a little electronics that would fill/empty the tanks to help balance the boat. They could be placed around the mid point of the boat so that it does not effect the front/back weight distribution.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Hey Don I am with you...

I am actually working on something for my boat... basically is uses the same technology as RV's. A mercury level that acitivates a 12v reversing pump.

Here is how it would work...

* Midship tanks on each side with the reversing pump between them.

* The mercury level in the middle of the boat integrated into the tower belowe the tow point.. hidden of course.

* Wires that will connect all of the necessary items including sensing neutral in the boat and 0 mph.

* When everyone is seated... the driver presses the dash mounted button... mercury switch is level.. and if not... pumps water from the haevy side to the light side until level... beeps to confirm....

* Start driving... no need to ask people to keep moving around in the boat...

As for the dryer set up that was mentioned...

In my old boat... i ran one of my heater hoses to a storage compartment where i had some hooks tohang towers and shirts and stuff... it worked great.. kept everything warm and dry...

As for the stereo stuff.. I was so impressed when I heard all of these elaborate tower systems... NVS.. Evid.. Deafcon... ETC... but after hearing the EPIC transom audio... wow... excellent loud and clear sound to the rider... and excellent bass within the boat... since the rear of the boat acts at the enclosure for the speakers.

Storage at the back... I don't mind 2006 Tige VE.. they have some little compartments when you are at the very back...

EOS boats... never seen one.. but they have storage behind the rear deck too...

Display and audio from tower to alert rider of turn.. double up... chop... etc...

Electric telescopic NAV light... EPIC has it!

Hydraulic swim grid... so you can adjust the swim grid's height in relation to the water level...

As for riding at night... not suppose to... but i rigged up tower lights that follow the rope... works.. but night riding is still difficult!

Memory foam interior... I think someone may just do this!

Perfect pass control up and down arrows on the steering wheel.

Stereo controls on the steering wheel

I have a bunch of more ideas... and hopefully I will incorporate them into my next boat...

It will be crazy... but I like gadgets!

Old    robertt            07-20-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I know they are out there, but I would love to have an auto wind rope handler on the tower that is operated by a thumb wheel on the throttle control, you could put a person right where they need to be.

I like the idea of a blinker type system on the tower indicating chop or turns...great idea!

I love the idea about the auto ballast system to keep things even...but what about having 4 hydrofoils or similar devises...two nearer the front of the boat on each side and two at the back. Same principal as the wedge system, except you could adjust not only front to back tilt to change the steepness of the wake but also side to side changes could be made. Plus, since they would be electronically controlled you would have a great holeshot then be able to create the wake once you were on plane. You could even set it up like perfect pass....everyone could have their favorite setting as far as wake size and shape.

Ahhh...to dream
Old    robertt            07-20-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/boating/1277126.html
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Shag carpeting. Yeaaah, Baby!
Old    tigejohn21i            07-20-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I'd like a built-in ice chest that makes its own ice.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
It's summer so nobody is talking about heated floorboards.....I remember the winter.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-21-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
kyle and don...
last saturday I was on shaun murrays boat, and after constant moving about to shift weight and emptying and filling ballast, I was thinking the same thing... why not have an autobalancer for the ballast...

I have limited experience with it but m1a1 abram tank uses a gyro to balance the turret as the tank goes across unlevel and changing ground conditions...
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-21-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I'd really like to see a printing press that pops out twenty dollar bills to pay for the gas and things
Old    pate            07-21-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think Dave has the correct answer. With his all the other problems go away
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-21-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
1. Diesel engine
2. 2 speed tranny
3. A bigger pure vert ballast
4. Auto leveling (great idea Don)
5. Usefull storage
6. Trick release built into the tower
Old    tigejohn21i            07-21-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
Can someone explain the 2 speed tranny to me? It seems like that unless you could change the prop pitch when going into second gear that the boat would just slow down.

Old    robertt            07-21-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
I would think that variable pitch props would do the same thing and actually work better.

Screw diesel...if we are going to dream go with hydrogen power.

I could seriously see electric hybrid technology in the future. Think about it, an electric engine has a ton of torque for holeshot, and how nice would it be to have absolute silence as you idle back to pick up a rider or are parked for a while. The technology is already there, next year GM is going to offer a hybrid option for the large SUV's.

Another fringe benefit would be unlimited electric power, so you audio freaks could go berserk.
Old    robertt            07-21-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Oh, and forget ballast. Plain old weight I think will be a thing of the past. It is a huge hindrance at anything other than wakeboard speeds.

Picture hydrofoils, not unlike the wedge system that malibus have, except there is 4 of them. One on each side of the front, and one one each side of the back. They would be hydraulically operated, you could "sink" the boat at will. Having them in the front would also allow you to change the wake shape. If they were also hooked up to a perfect pass type computer, they could also automatically even the boat out side by side.

They would be withdrawn at low speeds for a monstrous holeshot, then extended at wakeboard speeds to get you the wake you want.

Perfect pass would have to make an add on module, so you could save your favorite wake size and shape along with your favorite speed. Low freeboard problems with alot of weight would be a thing of the past too, it could be set to automatically retract at low speeds which would raise the boat back up to a safe level.

Its friggin hot out.
Old    justsomeguy            07-21-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
2 speed tranny:

Low gear for holeshots when the boat is heavily loaded with people or ballast. Once you're on a plane you briefly ease the throttle a bit (to avoid a clunk) and then switch to high gear for the rest of the pull.

I also use low gear when wakesurfing with the left tank full (1,ooo lbs.) and 3 or four adults in the boat.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
A frickin place to put trash. Hate having a cooler full of empties at the end of the day...
Old    xwind            07-22-2005, 4:37 AM Reply   
What about a built-in binding lube distributor in the back ?