Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-14-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
When I read posts about people purchsing a used boat hour count seems to be a huge concern. . Like for example people seem to think that over 200-300 hours is such a huge deal . I have seen a break down in hour count, as 2000 hours is about 100k miles on a car/truck. Now I know I have lots of hours on my boat from idle time which adds up fast . I have 534 hours on my 2008 supra and I'm in now way concerned . Just wondering what others think .
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-14-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think if it works well it's just a number. Plenty of 200 hour boats poorly maintained that are worse off then a well taken care of 750 hour boat. But, there is a point where you are going to need to start spending money. But that moment starts when you buy a boat anyway soo..
You don't really run your corvette at 3500-4000 rpm for 100k miles

The next time I shop I will most likely be more persuaded to Pay a little more for a low hour well maintained boat, but would still buy a higher hour well maintained boat
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-14-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
I get that, cars don't run that 3500-4000 rpm range, but also boats don't have hard winter starts ( in most climates ) and have a lot less emission controls on them..
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-14-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
To few hours can be an issue, have come across some boats that have only done as low as 10hrs a year on average that have issues with the oil gumming piston rings in their grooves leading to low compression in some cylinders amongst other issues as the owners don't service them annually but only every 50hrs (equates to every 5 years)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-14-2015, 7:01 PM Reply   
A friend of mine has more than 700,000 km on her Saturn. She traded in her last Saturn at 550,000 because they were quitting production of Saturn coupes and she liked them. Otherwise she would have kept the first one longer. Mileage, and hours are are relative to use and maintenance.
I would not be concerned about a 2008 boat with over 500 hours. If it's been maintained it will be fine. I had over 3000 hours on a Merc 470 but it was smoking some when I got rid of it. I think some of that damage happened when it was submerged for six hours. (the seal failed on the sterndrive at the transom, it was still attached to the buoy and bobbing with it's nose still out of the water)
I suspect I will keep my boat for a great many hours with it's current engine. However, like anything mechanical, I will pay attention to it.

There is not an easy conversion but if you want a best guess: my opinion is that the number of oil changes prescribed by the manufacturer is the best equivalent method. It is a disposable fluid that is affected by how hard the engine is used and reflects the normal use of the engine.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-15-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
I have 590 hours on my boat. When the shop pulled my hours they said more then half were idle time & shut the key off. Apparently idling is not good. My truck has 16k miles & the hour meter is around 400 (half to look again). I change my fluids every spring,oil every 30 & the boat runs like a champ. Wouldn't worried about those hours but I hear what you're saying. I listed my boat & I have two people already arguing the boat is near end of life at those hours. I simply told them to find another boat
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-15-2015, 7:47 AM Reply   
I am approaching 800 hours on my 2009 Axis A22. Now is that a lot of hours? Sure it is. But I can guarantee it has been maintained, used in the right way, and will be a work horse for anyone. The only issues I've really had are not related to the engine at all (upholstery, hinges in seats, other small issues). If someone maintains a boat in the proper way, they will last way more than 1k hours.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-15-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
I've got over 1000 hours on my 2004 X2 and I'm not concerned in the least bit.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-15-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
Just for the record the big block GM powerplant has a service life of about 5000 hours when used as a generator (possibly more similar to a boat situation than comparing a boat to a car)...and the small block was like 4000 hours IIRC.

The way I see it is even if you cut those numbers in half that is still probably more than everyone on this site has...and even if you do have that many then what? Throw a new block in or rebuild the old one? That is likely under 5 grand to start your hours over...and could be near 3k depending on your motor.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
1697 hours on my PCM gt40. Runs as good as the day she was new!
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       06-15-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
Heck I bought a used motor with 1300 hours. Starts, Runs, and operates better than the 10 year old motor with 100 hours did in our last boat.

Compression was near perfect and doesn't burn any measurable oil.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-15-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
I just rolled 900 on my 2007 Supra........These engines will last forever as long as they are maintained.

Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-15-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
This was my feeling, if you take care of the motor it will take care of you in a matter of speaking. I'm not overly concerned about hours myself but I read people making a big deal out of hour count..
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-15-2015, 6:32 PM Reply   
I got my boat in October of last year, and it has almost 700 hours on it. That being said, it gets the oil changed every 50, impeller every 100, engine alignment between 100-200 hours. It is overly maintained. I would take my boat any day over a boat 5 year old boat with 70 hours on it. It's all about the maintenance. And, these Ilmors will run forever.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-16-2015, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving View Post
I got my boat in October of last year, and it has almost 700 hours on it. That being said, it gets the oil changed every 50, impeller every 100, engine alignment between 100-200 hours. It is overly maintained. I would take my boat any day over a boat 5 year old boat with 70 hours on it. It's all about the maintenance. And, these Ilmors will run forever.

How often are you supposed to have an alignment? Are there any signs of when its time to get one?
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-16-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
Have over 900 on my 03 SANTE. It is stout as a bull and still going strong. My last 03 SANTE had close to 900 on it when I sold it and any problems were never engine related. A rich guy was the previous owner of our current boat and he did every bit of maintenance the dealer suggested so I know it was well maintained previously. Seems like the wake schools get a couple thousand hours on their boats most of the time. I wouldn't just value of boat on the hours.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-16-2015, 8:19 AM Reply   
I've ridden in a sport with 4,000hrs (no engine rebuild). My 88 Malibu Skiier had 1,800 hrs when I sold it. I had to rebuild the engine at 1,000, but that is only because a bone-head friend let it overheat sitting by the dock filling up sacs while I parked the trailer.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-16-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
I don't have much faith in hour meters. I ran my boat for about 20 hours this season without any gauges at all (the MDC was fried and it took a few weeks to get the new one) and when I got the new MDC and plugged it in the hour meter on the tach read the exact same as it did the day the gauges died. So . . . at least on older model boats, the hour meter can be circumvented by simply unplugging the tach/hour meter. Maybe there's a way to get the "true" hours from the ECM, but I don't think that type of inquiry is common among used boat purchasers, and even that might not work if the ECM has been replaced.