Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Ryan3110)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-18-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
I know this going to make me look like a kook but has anyone used their wake surfer in real surf?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       11-18-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
super hard to paddle in unless your riding a giant wave!... You may be able to use a longboard to paddle in and jump onto your wakesurfer once you get speed...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-18-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
No, why would they? You can surf a regular surfboard behind your boat,but if anyone on the east coast around Cocoa Beach wants to try surfing their wakesurfer in a real wave I will bring my waverunner out to try it! But I will be surfing on a real surfboard.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-18-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Happens all the time. Depends on the board though. Alliance wake did an article/test of many available boards in the San Diego surf back in 2012.

This question comes up on pretty much every forum fairly regularly. If you know how to surf, then it is not a big deal, however, a wakesurf is probably one of the worst boards you could choose to try to learn to surf. Some wakesurf boards are very similar to the waveskate genera of surfboards, others are similar to simmons or soap boards. If your wakesurf has a very low to none existent tail rocker, you are better off using it as a skim board.

My team riders over the years would use their boards in the ocean. One of Johnny Stieg's favorite boards was a board we put together for behind the boat, but he rode it more in the ocean than anything, partly cause at the time he did not have a boat, but also because the board was equally at home in the ocean, as long as you know how to ride.

Nick
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-19-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Todd and Chris rode the Mendonesia Surf Half Moon in the ocean all the time ....... thing was a lil tube rider!!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-19-2014, 7:19 PM Reply   
Riding a wakesurf board in the ocean will obviously have some issues... but it really all depends on the size of the surf. 2-3 foot surf it could work but once there is some sizable surf where you actually have to do full bottom turns and cutbacks I don't believe a wakesurf board would work well. Not to say it can't be surfed but it would be sketchy surfing and not very smooth looking. Just my opinion...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-07-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
I haven't, nor would I try. But I did pick up a 5'8" ocean short board for dirt cheap. Going to clean it up and try it out behind the boat for kicks and gigs. But you know, actually taking it to the ocean isn't out of the question either.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-08-2014, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poon View Post
Riding a wakesurf board in the ocean will obviously have some issues... but it really all depends on the size of the surf. 2-3 foot surf it could work but once there is some sizable surf where you actually have to do full bottom turns and cutbacks I don't believe a wakesurf board would work well. Not to say it can't be surfed but it would be sketchy surfing and not very smooth looking. Just my opinion...
it's been years since I did much ocean surfing, but if I recall - short boards are terrible for small waves.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-08-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
Short answer is yes, but unless you are an expert in really good waves, you won't catch anything. If you are starting out, get a longboard and get your wave-count up. You'll know when it is time to upgrade to a smaller more high-performance board.

It would be a waste of time (even for a good surfer) to take a wake surfer into the ocean. Unless you are just trying to prove that it is possible.