Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
I posted some teaser pictures of my garage in a previous post looking for ping pong table advice. I resonse to that, here is what I bought (forgive the dust, I really need to paint and do something with the floor up there!!):

Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
It is a detached (for now!) 36' x 32' footprint with poured footed foundation. 2x6 walls, downstairs ceiling is ~13.5' with 16" I-joists (12"OC) for the 32' continuous span. Upstairs has 6' kneewall and scissor truss (can't remember pitches right now), center of ceiling is ~10.5'. Garage doors are 16' x 9' and 11' x 12'. R19 insulation in walls (+R3-4 foam on exrterior) and first floor ceiling, R38 in attic. Here is the plan, and also before and after pics:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Site prep and foundation work:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
PEX for radiant and poured floor:

Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Next the framing (which happened too fast to get many pics!!):
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Framing from inside and siding:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Insulation:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Sheetrock (pretape/mud):
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
try again??

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
And finally, this is what it looks like now:

Upload
Upload
Upload

Still a bit of a mess as I kind of just threw stuff in there when the cold came. Still need to do cabinets in the lift corner, do a bit more trim work downstairs, and finish the upstairs (just paint and probably ¼" ply floor for now).

It has been holding a nice toasty 50-55° (measured by wall thermo, themostat is set at 50° and reads 50°). Nice to not winterize the boat this year!

Have only done a couple minor jobs on the lift, but man, how did I ever change the oil before . . . .

I obviously have a ton to do still, but overall I am very happy with the result!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-08-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have garage envy.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Nice work!
Did you sheet rock, tape, mud and texture the walls yourself? I just built a re-loading room that is about the size of a large bedroom and I hated that part of the job. I can't even imagine the overwhelming job of finishing that place.

Lifts are the only way to go!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-08-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
looks great!

I would do some kind of colored sealent on the concrete
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Nice man cave! Keep us posted as you perfect it!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-08-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Nothing better than when your garage is almost the size of your house. well done!!!! Very envious.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Nice: Looks like you have lot's of potential with your gagage I to have garage envy. IMO the best garage is one that looks clean and bare.
If you are a true PIMP Any Garage Nazi will tell you your Boat garage should look like you could pull your boat out at any min and go boating. You should NEVER have anything hanging in on or under your boat and not have to move anything to pull your boat out. Keep the force strong my young Jedi.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-08-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Yes, nothing on the floor and everything has it's place. Thats my dream garage.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-08-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Wow....very nice...very VERY jealous
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing. Gotta ask though, why no plumbing? (I'm thinking floor drains, john, and a huge sink)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
WOW nice
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-08-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
A "Garage Mahal!" AWESOME! Man, I'd love to have that. The most I can squeeze onto my lot is an oversized single-car garage, but after looking at your palace I'm wondering whether something that small is even worth it.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-08-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
I am so jealous! My 14x20 just ain't big 'nuff! Very, nice garage Tom!

But, I am surprised it passed inspection missing that railing on the lower steps.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
that looks great! i'd love to have a lift at my disposal. very well done.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-08-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
VERY VERY NICE!! I'm jealous as hell
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-08-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Re-Dunk-ulous.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Barry- I thought about doing the drywall myself, or at least just the hanging; but in the end paid to have it done as I have a few projects underway in the house that I am tackling alone. I also wanted to avoid the obvious learning curve I would end up with on mud (why are the joints so much better upstairs than downstairs??).

Benjamin- I just had them seal after pouring for a better cure. I almost did epoxy, but didn't want to worry about protecting it for the rest of the work. I actually have always liked bare concrete for some reason. Who knows, maybe I'm in for a grind and epoxy floor in the future though. I do plan on putting a vinyl mat down unser the lift area, probably coin-type pattern ~9-10' x 16-18'.

G/GD- Once the cabinets/shelving gets done, the boat will be readily removed at a moments notice; that's one of the reasons for the depth, so I don't have to remove the platform and swing the tongue. The intention is to end up with a clear floor (after storage is built). I needed to stop spending money, so the cabinets and shelves should be done some time in the spring.

Trace- There is plumbing. I have water from the house, DHW on demand from the boiler, next to the boat door I have a janitor's faucet (bucket hook type but no drian), and on opposite side of wall hot/cold outdoor faucet. Plumbed for hot/cold water and drain near the lift for wash-up sink, as well as roughed in bathroom (sink and crapper) upstairs. Also cold only outdoor faucet in the back. Really wanted floor drains for snowmelt, etc., but that's pretty hard to do these days.

ADBD- I was surprised too, and it it was living space they would have required it. I am building a removable railing for the "bridge" section.

Rayprisz- I was surprised how little some lifts cost. There not exactly cheap, but not as bad as I was expecting. I would not have even considered if a friend hadn't done one in his garage. We did a clutch/flywheel on the suby, and the time savings of using the lift combined with the decent priec made it a no-brainer for me. Although 12' minimum ceiling is somewhat limiting for existing structures.

It's been a fun project. I just wish I had some money left over to really do the upstairs (and a bunch of big projects in the actual house)!! That will have to wait a few years though.

(Message edited by tdeneka on January 08, 2010)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
Ah, cool. I thought I might have seen some pipes in one pic. I have heard permitting floor drains is not easy now.

Drywall sucks, and Barry's right that would be an overwhelming amount of work. The overhead stuff is the worst - real backbreaking labor. You have to do it a lot to develop the "hand" for it, kinda like welding. Very messy & dusty too. I'm remodeling our 1/2 bath right now and was surprised with some extra drywall work.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-10-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Sweet looking for sure! Are you going to do anything with the floors? ie, paint and seal? You need to hang an flat screen upstairs with full surround sound.
Old    stillstandin            01-10-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
That is AWESOME
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
That's not a garage, it's a hangar
Nice work Thomas!
Total envy here...
Upload