Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-14-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
I have been riding a 2003 LF trip 143 for about two years now and really like it, but it is time to bite the bullet and get a new board. It has been used no doubt. I am looking for suggestions on which board might compare to mine.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-14-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Larry, the Trip is a great setup, definitely a classic. I know there's going to be lots more great suggestions, but I'd like to put my vote in on the Ronix Viva. Both the Viva and the Trip share a continuous rocker line, which your already used to, however, the Viva has a more aggressive boot to it, which definitely could contribute to some bigger air. The variable rail, rounded in the belly and sharpening off to the tail keeps that bit of playfulness you may have enjoyed with the trip, but definitely will dig in and give you a more aggressive feel on edge. The board comes in a 144 which keeps you in the size range of board you may have been looking for, and is definitely a very very light board. All in all, picture a faster, lighter, more aggressive Trip with bigger boot and you've got the Viva. Not to mention that they didn't change the shape at all for 2010, so you can find 09's, which I ride, for a killer deal on clearance. Hope this helped, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me! Good luck board hunting!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-14-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Lyman used to ride the trip before getting his own pro model. the Lyman takes many of the features of the trip.

I have ridden both the lyman and trip and like the Lyman a whole lot more, but that is just me. to be even more biased, i'd recommend trying the slingshot response or any other board featuring flex (ie: any board from Slingshot, Company, Humanoid, Sine, and the LF watson Hybrid, CWB Vibe)

most important, if you can get out and DEMO, do so!

what boots you riding if i might ask? a good pair of boots are very important

AND are you using a non-stretch rope (made of dyneema or spectra)? these ropes are an essential part of improving anyone's ride
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-14-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for both of you buys for helping me. Ben i have looked at the viva and I think i will like the hybrid rocker and definitely like the looks of the board. Jeremy I have ronix one binding that I bought at the end of last year and I have a straightline spectra rope and a proline faction handle.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-14-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
a'ight, good to go on the rope and boots
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-14-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Larry,
Glad to hear the input is helping out! Also, the '09 has some STELLAR (5*/5*) reviews in the WakeWorld Board Guide, so you can see there's definitely a consensus among riders on a quality board. Another feature that may be hard to pick out from pictures, the Viva has a flat, clean bottom to it which allows you to not only ride ON the water rather than THROUGH it like boards with lots of bottom shaping, but also helps maintain less drag when you land a booter into to the flats, that extra momentum, i noticed, reduced the impact of landing out there. If you end up going with the Viva, let me know what you think!

(Message edited by hawkeye7708 on November 14, 2009)

(Message edited by hawkeye7708 on November 14, 2009)