Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-04-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
what were your thoughts?
pop?
speed?
edging?
landings?
loose/tight?

i know its a continous board, so your gonna give up allitle height for distance, but does the center width compinsate some for that?
one thing that concerns me is the really wide rails? does this affect edging at all? slow you down or make cutting inconsitant.

what are your overall thoughts on the board. would appreciate both the good, and the bad.

thanks
Cory

my previous boards
09 watson
08 shane
09 murray
08 recoil
07 3DS

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 10-04-2010 at 8:08 AM.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-04-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
pop? Huge
speed? Fast
edging? Loose when flat but locked down when on edge
landings? Like landing on pillows
loose/tight? Loose when you want it to be and tight when you need it

FYI...the above is all based on what I have read in the marketing bulletin. I have not ridden the board myself.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-04-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
cory i have ridden the 2010 faction and i have a 2010 watson hybrid. the faction does not pop as straight up as the watson. i think the reason the watson feels so loose to me is it rides higher out of the water[more bouyant] than the faction. i also have a marius which suits me best. and a roam by far the loosest board i've ridden. from what i've heard and read the db9 is just a faction on steroids[more pop and looser].i went through the same thing trying to find a board that suited me. only you can tell. if you go to ridecwb.com they have a list of demo centers maybe one is close to you. good luck.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-04-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Cory, remember I was selling that Faction that I had? Well I decided to try and ride it and haven't picked up my Transcend since. Needless to say, its no longer for sale. It does everything just a little bit better. Pop I'd say is a little smoother but its extra width definitely carries it up. The speed increase is noticeable. Edging is great but I did notice that when coming off an edge the board has a tendency to "walk" until its back on edge. Landings are softer than any board I've ridden. Stock with the 1 inch fins its pretty tight but I rode my Transcend without any fin extensions, I put on .8 inch fins and it is perfect.

The thick rails do affect the edging, but not like you are thinking. Thick rails in the center of a board are a design feature that allows the center of the board ride higher in the water and allows the tip/tail to drop in when you put it on edge. It helps the board keep a "nose up" angle as you ride into a large wake. Find one to try, the thing is awesome.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-04-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
great info! keep it coming!
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-04-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
Have ridden the 2010 faction 144 and 2010 transcend 143. I didn't enjoy the release off the wake of the transcend but only had the chance to ride it once. Faction all the way for me. Smooooooth board with very good pop, IMO. I thought it was resonably fast, very consistant off the wake and I really had fun riding that board until I broke it. I'm a big dude, so it happens. Might have my replacement 2011 for sale if anyone is interested :-) It's my back up board and I'm done riding for the season. Let me know if you are interested.

Adam
blindmnkee3@yahoo.com
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I absolutely love my Faction. Until I got on it I thought the Transcend was the best board ever, but since I rode the Faction I've changed my mind.

Here's my take: It's got great pop for a continuous board. As much as any 3 stage I've ridden, but smooth. Not a hammering pop like the old Parks board. Landings are good. About the same as my Transcend. Speed: It's frickin' fast. Like any continuous board. Very little drag. I like that smooth gliding feeling. Edging is a bit different. The thick rails keep the board sitting high. If you're edging technique is lazy you'll feel the board not digging in. If you edge well it'll be a rocket to the wake. I ride mine with the small Marius platinum fins. It's really loose, but soo much fun. Just enough fin for those tricky landings, but loose enough to butter around and have fun. Much looser than a Transcend without fin extensions. To be honest, I haven't ridden it with the stock fins. I'd imagine it would be much more locked in. It might even allow a lazier edge technique.

I'll be riding one again next year, without a doubt.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
where can a guy buy these marius and .8" fins you guys are swaping on?
i figured the stock 1" would be way too big.
does anyone make a non aluminum fin for them? about that .8" size?

only thing that may bug me is the walking when not on edge but i guess youd get used to it. im sure its due to the featureless bottom. no tunnels, ridges, channels etc

could yall post up pics of the rails on the faction? and the whole board if you dont mind. different angles.

thanks! keep the experiences coming. CWB is one brand ive never ridden.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 10-05-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
I'm using the Absolute fins and got them from a local dealer. As someone who likes a loose board, I wasn't too upset with how it rode with the stock fins. I'm sure someone does make a fiberglass fin, not sure why you would shy away from the aluminum, they are very durable and don't fall off.

The walking thing was a very minor issue. Not sure what causes it. I wouldn't call the bottom featureless, that center spine is significant and runs the entire length of the board.

I would agree with Evan, the glide it has on the water is awesome. Like when you cut out to set up for a trick, you can feel the board carrying its speed as you begin to start your edge. I think the added speed helps soften the landings in that it doesn't stop when it hits the water.

I'll try and get some pics up later.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-06-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
I am super biassed for this response because I love CWB,
I love the faction, I would go as far as saying its the best board I have ridden since 1999. The faction is faster than all other big boards i have tried and the pop is awesome!!!! it aslo is pretty nice and loose with the .75 fins but still holds a great edge without any effort. The landings are soft because of that raised spine "AND I HAVEN'T BROKE ONE YET, 220LBS OF MAN DROPPING OUTTA THE SKY.!
one of my friends who was a hyperlite rider switched this year to the faction and
I have recomended the DB9 to 2 friends both who rode Liquid force and they both switched and love it!!!
KP
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
You're still riding the same Faction I gave you? Impressive!