Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-13-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
I am looking at a 2000 xstar and was wondering if there are any differences between a 2000 and a newer x-2 other than bling. I am guessing the hull is the same but I am new to this.

This will be my first boat purchase and I was wondering how this boat would be and what some of the problems are.
Thanks in advance
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
I believe the differents are the tower ,the board rack and I believe 2000 x-star only has one ballast bag in the middle and the x2 have 3,one in the middle and two hard tanks in the back.

Ohh Check the alternator bolt if the moter is the MCX.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
Swimstep was smaller.
Was sun deck one piece (as opposed to side locker hatches) on 2000s?
Seats were wraparound by 2000 I think?
Dripless shaft packing?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Sundeck one piece,good call!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-13-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
I am not a big fan of the tower I like the newer ones better for looks but are there any reasons the tower is not good other than looks.

yes the sundeck is on piece.
It does have wraparound seating
and I have no idea what dripless shaft packing is

Another big factor in my boat purchase will be servicability. I will want to virtually all maintnance myself. Definetly routine stuff. I was wondering if a vdrive is going to be alot harder to work on than a ddrive
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
A little harder access, but with side panels out, and some contortion, maintenance is not bad.

Have seen posts regarding people having to repair/reweld the joints on that style tower.

Dripless packing not a big deal...watertight shaft through-hull as opposed to the old school shaft packing that drip a bit.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
the 2000 didn't have the MCX, twas the LTR 330hp or the 310 hp engine, however the arm on the alt was a recall on the LTR. I owned this boat new in 00'. The LTR engine is nice, but the 310 has just as much power out of the hole. the ltr was a bit faster top end and holds value better (it has more bells and whistles). servicing the engine should be comparable to a direct drive. the side engine compartment walls remove and you can climb down in there. it is more crampt than a direct however, but the V-drives are SO much better all around. yes the tower, board racks and ballast are different. however the ballast isn't an issue because you would want to remove those small rear tanks and replace them with 500 lb sacs anyway. then add another in the walk way in bow or two smaller sacs under the bow seats, or lead. if you weight the back even it out a bit upfront. have fun.. good boat. want to buy my 03 X-Star??? 59995.00
Old    bambamski            05-13-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
A friend has the same boat.

-One peice sundeck
-Either the 310 or the 330 LTR
-Tower isn't great and can break. I think the side to side motion is what's not very good about it. Pulling the rider is fine though
-Ballast system is only one bag in the ski locker as well. I'm sure you could plum two bags into the back though
-Seats are the wrap around

It's a great boat, one of the reasons I actually went with a new 05 X-2.

Steering cable will probably need to be replaced though. I had to do my 2001 and the friend with the 2000 just did his this year. I think he has something like 800 or so hours on it now and it's still going srong.

I've been looking for something like that for my brother in law as well. How much are you paying for it?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-13-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Sorry cdm that is just a little out of my price range.
Thanks for all of the info. I am pretty sure it has the LTR motor. The fact that I will be able to do maintnance could be a mojor selling point because I live a long ways from a mastercraft machanic.
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-13-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 X-Star and I love it. The tower isn't as nice looking as some of the newer boats, but I have not had any problems with it's strength or any side to side flexing that would cause problems. I am planning on changing out the tower in the near future, just because I am not a big fan of how it looks (too square looking). I bought mine used, and it came with a bag in the floor up front and two hard tanks on each side of the rear hatch. The thing throws a great wake. You'll love it.
Old    jeffh555            05-13-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
a buddy of mine just baught a 2000 x-star from his parents, nice boat. probably one of the nicest wakes i've riden behind. he runs sacs in the rear compartments, i havnt checked out the ballast setup in the front. they havn't had any problems with it. i dont know if its optional or what but he has a one piece hatch that has electric struts that open it.

at age 22 he's inviting his parents out on his boat, that wont happen for a couple more years for me.

btw, when all your friends dont go to college, and therefore make 40k+ at age 21-22, it makes the argument for college kinda dificult. just a side note, but i guess as long as i can keep going to the lake with them till i graduate life is good.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-14-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
I'm very happy with my '00 X-Star. Not too hard to work on either. I imagine that the newer ones with the hard tanks can be a bit tight to work around. Yes, the towers are notorious for cracking but it's an easy fix. You must make sure the alternator bracket has been updated. Mine broke twice before they came out with the fix. The wake is great. It's also a good boat to surf behind. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck with the boat and most importantly...ENJOY.
Old    bambamski            05-15-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
Migitty

How so you weight yours for surfing? I tried surfing behind mine today and didn't have a lot of sucess. I ride goofy which hurts the wake I believe. It was pretty much washed out.
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-15-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 X-Star with the hard tanks in the back, and still have no real problems working around the engine (changing impeller, oil changes, etc.) Although I usually have the dealer doing that stuff. You do have to contort a little to get to everything, but its far from impossible.

I have the same opinions as everyone else about the tower. Not the greatest looking tower, but I haven't had any problems. Bought the boat used with 125 hours on it, now have about 400 and so far no probs.

Definitely wish the sunpad was split, but oh well - cound't have everything perfect in my budget when I bought it.

Very comfortable boat though, and I LOVE the wake. We fill all three tanks, and usually have 5 or 6 people on the boat. When its just me and my buddy, we fill two sacks, one in the walk through, and one across the rear seat.

Still haven't surfed behind it, but plan too soon.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-16-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Love my 2000 Xstar as well. Tower rattles but I have some plastic washers to correct. Easy maintenance since I do it all myself. Oil change, transmission change, impellar change, replaced steering cables, replaces exhaust riser gaskets, plugs...pretty straight forward.

One warning on the one piece deck with the motor is that if the motor goes out you are somewhat screwed. I replaced the motor with 2 gas shocks, works perfect and I don't have to wait for it to go up.
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
Wilson - do you have any photos of the Gas shock installation? Also, is there a latch you put in to keep it closed?
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-17-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
I too would like to see pictures of your gas shock installation.

If the deck motor goes out, my guess is that I'd have to drill/cut the rear hinges and get in that way.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-17-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
I also found a 2000 vlx. How would you compare the two. They are the same price. I havent seen either in person and was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of both are.
Thanks
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-17-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
Wilson Lee - Your all white X looks sick. Did you order it that way or did you have it painted.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-09-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Sorry to get back to this thread so late, I just had a boy!!!

I bought the gas shocks and latch from Mastercraft. The 1999 Xstar had gas shocks so I just ordered those same parts. I had to cut screw holes in the fiberglass and pilot holes in the sundeck, pretty easy. Will try to send pics if anyone is still interested. I haven't had to install the latch yet, the sundeck weighs so much to keep it down, haven't towed with it.

Devin, I bought the boat used but the previous owner said it had to be specially ordered that way. I like it nice and clean.