Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-16-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Ok I'm looking at either a 136 or 140 witness. Here's my stats. 5'5" between 160-170 usually. Riding status, beginner/intermediate. Like to do lots of pokes and grabs, so spins and ease of control is important to me. Looking for a soft landing as injuries and age have caught up with me. Boards I own. 135 Omega and a 138 PS3. This is going to be a Boat ONLY board and it will never touch the cable that I usually ride at unless it is old and I've bought a new boat board. I've ridden a 140 Murray and Witness at the cable only and they just seem really big. I prefer my 135 omega and the PS3 is about as big as I like. BUT I don't ride these behind the boat and I know alot of riders here like a bigger board behind the boat. I'm looking to get as good as I can behind the boat this year, better than I am at the cable. My brother thinks the 140 would be better behind the boat(thats what Benny rides he says) and I like the feel of a 136-138 better. But I'm willing to go the 140 if its going to make me a better boat rider and it is easier on the landings. I'm not looking to go huge, but would like a good amount of pop, but the higher you go the harder you land. At least thats the way it is going off the kickers at the cable. Oh and I'm not going to buy any other kind of board unless its a lyman(MAYBE). I do like speed.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-16-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
I ride a premier 136 behind the cable but on the boat i prefer to ride the premier 141. The cable is going a little slower than the boat so a bigger board on the cable really FEELS BIG. I am 5'6 175 i would say an advanced/expert rider and the extra pop and size behind the boat really helps me out a lot. The landings are also much softer and when your knees are like mine you need it. When I ride my 136 behind the boat, I can't walk the next day. With your ability level I would most likely stick to a 136, the 140 might hold you back a little.
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-16-2008, 11:19 PM Reply   
going by the comment of how it hurts more, I'm sticking with my point of saying 140.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-17-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
Ya Toxis, I know what you say
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-17-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
One more thought. If guys that weight at least 20lbs more then me, some even closer to around the 200lb range ride a 140-141 then going by the bigger board is better rule, then why don't they all ride a 143-144 size boards. It seems like the 139-141 size is the most popular behind the boat. So if a 180-200lb rides a 140ish should I who is around 160 ride the 136ish size board. Just another thought. Trying to get as much opinion as possible.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-17-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
I don't really think there is a weight for a board it's more riders preference
Old    joshj095            12-17-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Im With Jon D on this one. Size doesnt really matter. Its all on personal preference. Ive riden the Premier 136, Parks 133, Murray 145, b-side 141, and now Im on the Marek 141. A bigger board is going to be more stable and land softer. A smaller board is going to be the oppisite, it will also drag a little more if youre a bigger guy.... The general rule of thumb used to be, bigger guys bigger boards, smaller guys smaller boards. that doesnt apply anymore...its up to you TS
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-17-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
also, do not be fooled by the "its harder to spin with a bigger board" conspiracy, its simply not true. While it might be easier to do ollie 3s and what not on a smaller board, it wasn't until i moved up to a 142-3 when i hit my first t/s 720. and about 14 more that summer. this year i foolishly went down to a 138 thinking it would help dial in 7s and 9s and hit zero of each. I realize this is more my fault and not the board, but i couldn't ditch my old bad habit of spinning off the wake too early with a smaller stick. Plus the first time on the 138 the stance felt all narrow and felt like a toy. This is just my opinion, but you owe it to yourself to give the big dog a shot. you may never look back.