Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-22-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
I just put 20's on my trailer and think they look great. I'm just not sure about the clearance that i have with them. I've got about an inch from top of tire to fender, edge of tire to edge of fender i can barely get my finger in there. they are already rubbing on the inside(the carpeted piece from the trailer frame to the fender) I think i'm going to have to go with a smaller tire. dont' want to go too much smaller though. what do you guys think, any experience with this. if the trailer does not flex too much when going over rough roads, i think i should be ok, but want your advice. thanx Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-22-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Ryan - Seriously, Bad A$$.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-22-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
lol, cbk i got a smoking deal on them, and sold the 14's to some sucker. paid about 600 bucks to upgrade. I think i'm gonna have to downsize the rubber though. I'll get a profile shot in the next couple minutes here.
Old    bigrich            11-22-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Although it looks good there is not even close to enough clearance there (unless the pictures are deceiving). A couple of good bumps and you'll probably shred those tires. I dont know if you've ever seen a tire shred before but that piece of plywood between the fenders and your boat won't do a thing to protect the hull.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-22-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
here it is. the size of the tire is 275/45/20. I think i'm going to have to down size. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    bigrich            11-22-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hey and get that bike off your tower
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-22-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
yea the clearence is minimal at best.
I would reccomend maybe slighly raising the axles and get some spce between the tires and the fenders or maybe shave the fenders.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-22-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
kevin, the way these trailers are built is different. the axles are bolting right to the frame, not the typical add a block and taller u bracket. I think i'm going to have to go smaller rubber being the easiest fix. dont' want to have to refab the fender(want to keep it looking stock and brand new)
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-22-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
hah! i curb my trailer way too often on tight right hand turns to consider 20s!
Old     (jasonj)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-22-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan, what model Centurion is that? I am looking at an Avalanche that has the bigger engine, walk through transom, pretty damn nice. It is a brand new '06 so they are offering it with a tandem axle trailer at $40k. I am trying to decide between the Avalanche or MC X1 which is about 2' shorter and also an '06 but $46k. Don't know which is better built, the Centurions or MC. General rule is MC, Malibu and Nautiques are the top, Centurion is up there with a Sanger. Would love your opinion and what you think of your baby.

By the way, those rims look sweet. Bad ass, even if it does rub it is worth it!!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-23-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote: I dont know if you've ever seen a tire shred before but that piece of plywood between the fenders and your boat won't do a thing to protect the hull.

I just bought a trailer that had a blown out tire. I fioxed the metalwork that had been damaged and I was amazed at how the tire could have dmaged such strong material. Wouldn't want to see what damage it would do to the hull of a plastic boat.

IMO you haven't got enough clearance.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-23-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Jason, the boat is a 23 foot enzo. Mastercraft is a great boat, but i liked the enzo alot more. the extra room would be the decision maker over the x1 for me anyways. the myth that bu, mc and cc are the top 3 is just that to me, a myth. i can't wait to put this thing to water. my opinion, avalanche for sure. my cousin has ridden behind every boat out there and really liked the avy. he rode behind an x2 and didnt' like it at all. but i've also read that the x2 are a very finicky boat and have to be weighted perfectly, and then you get an incredible wake.

Peter, sadly the rims have already been taken off. I'm taking your advice and going to see if they have smaller rubber. only problem is i dont' want the rubber to be too low of profile for the weight of the boat. thanx for all the advice boys.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-23-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Have you looked at remounting the fenders? you might be able to put spacers in to raise it. Even if you have to re-weld it shouldnt be that bad...
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-23-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
sweet boat ryan and nice look of the 20's but you are giving a guy advice on purchasing a boat and you havent physically had yours in the water yet?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-23-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Those things would be shreaded in a couple outings on my trailer. As you reduce sidewall you reduce functionality of the trailer. Increasing tire width on a trailer only causes problems, increasing tire diameter reduces the braking ability of the trailer. I would not recommend running lower than 60 series tires, and those should be no larger in diameter than the stockers. You can probably jump from 14 to 17" without too much problem but I wouldn't run 20's unless you make lots of mods including wider fenders and larger brakes. Just consider how many ramp situations involve speed bumps. No matter how slow you take them you should expect 2-3" of wheel deflection when all the boat weight transfers to a one axle. You are also going to be slinging dirt/water/mud up the side of the boat where they stick out.

How much of your priority is looks vs. functionality? How far do you tow?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-23-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
WOW that looks GREAT!
But I think you are right down size a bit to give more clearance.

I love the boat Clean with bling! that black really pops with the red deck and the CEnturion Graphic!!!!

I think you might be able to adjust the torsion bar to give you more clearance from the fender

(Message edited by krbaugh on November 23, 2006)
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-23-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Kevin, i think i'm going to be able to keep the 20's. the fenders are bolted on, so i drilled holes 1 inch lower and they have plenty of clearance now. i don't have the rims cuz i went to take them back and left at tire store. so on monday they'll be going back on and cross my fingers fit awesome. I'll take pics.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-23-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
255/40/20.... or move those finders. The first speed bump you hit is going to eat up those tires and fenders. Unless your anticipating going lowrider status over speed bumps with your trailer. Those torsion axles like to move around alot and you surely dont have the clearance. Your cheapest bet is to raise those fenders, but if you got lots of money to burn (looks like you are alright) then change those rubber bands to smaller ones.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-23-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
20's represent!

My pic was too big, so I uploaded it elsewhere...

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5580/p1000666qn9.jpg

(Message edited by garret_s on November 23, 2006)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Just raise the fenders...it cant be that difficult. All you need is another 2 inches or so, right?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-24-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Garret,

I am not a fan of big wheels on trailers, but yours are the nicest I have seen. They really look like they belong. Lookin good...

Here's a resize for ya.
Upload
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-25-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
WHY!!!!!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-25-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
I think I'm with David here... looks good... but you must have some serious disposable income to put 20's on a trailer.
Old    bigdtx            11-25-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Cool. You'll get the tire smoke in the turns just like NASCAR.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-25-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Thanks mikeski! We love the look too. Now, if my riding could only back-up the trailer haha

Why? because the dealer gave us a hell of a deal on an upgrade, and we tow ALL the time (didnt have a slip till this year), so we wanted other features on the trailer also (electronic braking, LED lights, tiedowns), and the wheels came with... its a stock trailer (custom, but stock) from a company in Arkansas...I think the trailer is called "Illusion." The 20's came on it.

We bought the boat from Stateamind in St. Louis. Great dealership, for those of you looking for Tige...
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-26-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I don't know how 20's work on a trailer, but I trailer a lot and usually lose 1-2 tires a season. That's trailer tires that are rated for 1800lbs. What are those 20's rated for loadwise? I think you are in for some grief in the long run if you trailer much. You definitely need to carry at least one spare, a bottle jack and a four way lug wrench. A big hammer is handy to beat the bent fender away from the smoking, shredded tire when it comes apart on the expressway. They do look cool, though!
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-26-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
psyclone, the tires i have on the rims have a load rating of 2300 pds/each. I like Garret got a smoking good deal on them. the trailer never came with a spare, when i went to order it i was going to be spending at least 250 canadian for the combo. the 20's that were pictured has one rimmed scratch on the lip when installed on someone elses vehicle, so they are giving me a spare and the rest of the setup pretty much at cost to get them outta their store. I'm paying prob 400 bucks to upgrade(they took the stockers on trade too boot) I figured that was reasonable to pay. if it was a couple grand plus, then no way would i have bougt them.
Old     (sambrown)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-26-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
I would much rather see accessories for the boat, or some new boards or something. I guess I'm just not much of a fan of the 20's on trailers. More power to you for having the disposable income, (The only thing I have is my buddies boat).
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-27-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
I had 18's on my trailer for a while. The sidewall flex was freaky on turns. Most of the "plus size" tires are only 4 ply, probably ok for short trips to & from the lake. But for long hauls, be careful. I had a tire blow out on me on the causeway & the waste a fender. The tire slapped the side of my boat pretty good, & the cord wrapped around the hub & had to be cut of w/ clippers before I could put the spare back on. Also be careful running w/ cheap performance tires, like those Nexen,s, Kuhmo's etc.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-27-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
I worked for a wheel manufacture for over 5yrs and knowing how those wheels are produced and their intended use of that style and size I would make sure you read the warranty and warning. I bet line #2 is “This wheel is not designed or intended for towing or use on trailers.” And know what tires you had to go with to fit didn’t help. Normally the stress from tight turns and maneuvering is absorbed in the forgiving side walls of the tire (like when you see and/or hear trailer tires skip or hop), but going to the low profile tire there is no give or play putting that stress on the center of the wheel. Those wheels are produced by heating and expanding a rim shell, then dropping the center in to the correct offset/backspacing then welding it in on the back side. Great for everyday use, but not for extra loads and stress from turning that axle.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the look, and your wheels might be perfect for what you got going on, I’m just giving you and everyone else a heads up on what to look for or what might happen and why.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-28-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
I hope you donate to some charities.
Geez, I thought I made a big upgrade when I junked my old 15" carlisle bias plys for some 15' goodyear marathons D's rated at 2540lbs for my single axle trailer. they were like 90 bucks ea at...walmart! but those radials ride so sweet quite and smooth...easy over the speed bumps and tough enough to take a curbing.
Upload
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-01-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
I'm definitely a fan. I've always dreamed of having 20"+ spinners on the tow vehicle, and matching spinners on the trailer, 8 total. Would be pretty wild... Ridiculous but awesome.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-01-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
I love the Tige traior crap that is pimp. Im gonna do that ot my trailor
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-01-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
i will get some pics, but i was able to succesfully drill holes an inch lower in the fenders and raise them up. the first pic of the screw driver barely fitting, i can now put my fist in the space between wheels and fender. the only semi tight spot as at the front bottom of the fender. think i will take off and fab a little, going to try and do this without having to repaint the fender.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-01-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
By the way...not only are those awesome wheels but that Tige is a beautiful boat