Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-29-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
Just a general question, here.

I've noticed I rarely see Soven exposed in Mags (on cover, articles, company ads, mag pics, etc.). He's in there but not like Harf, Greenwood, etc.

I just would expect him to be all over Mags with his podium results and his skill in general.

Also, I don't see him in alot of videos.

What's the deal. Is his focus more on contest riding or.....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-29-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
i dont know 100% but im pretty sure thats all he is... I mean, his video parts are pretty much his contest runs cut up with music parts... he does do some crazy stuff but its all the same stuff... you don't see him trying to take his TS-5 huge, OA, grabbed like and do variations like a lot of the video pros do... videos showcase the tricks in wakeboarding that look good, but wouldn't win you a competition
Old    K.B.C.            02-29-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think most people just really don't care to see him ride. He is a GREAT contest rider and has exceptional technical skills, but I don't really like watching him. We saw him ride at the World's in Reno and he destroyed everyone, it wasn't even close. It was pretty cool.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-29-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
I love watching him ride.

"his video parts are pretty much his contest runs cut up with music parts"

I've watched him ride contests, and I've seen all of his video sections, I would have to disagree.

"you don't see him trying to take his TS-5 huge"
You mean the most over thrown trick of all time?
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-29-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I m w/ J-Rod. His video section in both relentless and the truth are really cool.
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-29-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I m w/ J-Rod. His video sections in both relentless and the truth are really cool.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-29-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
I got no problem, I like his sections. There is nothing wrong with focusing on contest riding, there's good money in it.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-29-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Now you've done it Andy, now all the "core riders" will chime in about contest riding Phillip kills it on a wakeboard period, contest, video whatever. That said, me personaly, I would rather watch Rusty, JD, Andrew and Sharpe ride, it just seems more real.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-29-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
I think Soven's section in the Truth was the best on there.

People think they know Soven and think they're cool for dissing him. I'd say it's as simple as that.
Old    alanp            02-29-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
i dont think most people even understand what they are seeing when he rides. that kid is sick
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-29-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Dont get me wrong the kid is a machine but watching a whirley dick is only so cool for so long... I would rather see anything TS BS from shane.. thats what I ment by taking TS 5's and making them something new and amazing, TS FS is lame and a dime a dozen but backside spinning is amazing to watch
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-29-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
Call me an indigant little rider, but soven's section in the truth is my favorite of all time. and to me, thats the only reason I ever watch the truth, for his section. Soven can wakeboard very well, very very very very very well. He has some extremely extreme technical skills, and I really enjoy watching him put every rider to shame. yes, shame.

as for exposure, I've seen him in a few magazines.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-29-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
His relentless and silly video sections are the "best" video sections there are, in terms of absolutely stomping everything. I mean, I like randall in NBK, old scud videos, and lots of early 2000s Shane and Harf footage, but ain't nobody that hits the wake as well as Soven does. Give him a break though, I don't think he is even 18 yet- he's a decade younger than his contemporaries.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-29-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
People use to bash Shapiro back in the day because he won a lot. Now he's a Legend
It seems Soven has become the new guy to beat.

It's comical how people who wish they rode a 1/10 as good as him are style police on here... Don't get me wrong, it's cool to do a mean poke and 180 but take the time to learn a whirly dick and then come on here and tell us how gay you feel doing it.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-29-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
well said
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-29-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
It's kind of like when your sessioning a mini-ramp with your friends, and instead of just putting together a solid line full of tricks that you can make look nice and clean, you go out there and treat every hit like your in a best trick contest.

It's cool sometimes, but only in moderation.

Sick rider, just not my cup of tea.
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-29-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
The few times I have watched him ride on tv or in Relentless or the Truth, I liked watching him ride, i've been a fan of his since I started riding and ironically he was one of the very first pros I had first herd of or saw ride on TV, so he must of been getting some exposure.

All seriousness though, he did have a WBM cover awhile back and an interveiw some # of issues ago too . In the most recent issue of WBM he has a page on who will be the next king of wake part...it seems like the contest winning is what gets him a lot of his exposure, its just a different kind of exposure than adds, but I don't think it's really a bad thing....
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2008, 1:02 AM Reply   
I will watch lyman's video parts a thousand times over before i watch soven. The kid rules no doubting that but to me his riding seems soul-less. its like he is just a machine that was born and bred for wakeboarding, a human engineering marvel. to me i watch somone like lyman or benny g and you get old fashioned first time wakeboarding feeling. watching these guys look like they have as much fun today as they did thier first day. it's not about what tricks are done its just about what feels right. it seems like lyman gets good because he spends so much time doing it because loves the sport so much that gettin good is a natural by-product. whereas with soven to me he looks like he rides to get better and be the best.

maybe i am just speaking from personal experience and how i interpret that in other riders. somewhere along the line, when i was about 17, i had dreams of being pro and my drive slowly shifted from riding for love to riding to get good and accomplish something. i competed and did all that business and i really lost the soul that i had when i was young. all of a sudden wakeboarding wasn't fun anymore.

to me i just see that same kinda thing in soven and tech riders like him. the guys like lyman give me that old feeling of just being stoked to ride. i like to see someone who looks like they are just loving it out there.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-01-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
I love to watch Soven ride, he kills it!!
IMO he dosen't get near the exposure he deserves.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
"He has some extremely extreme technical skills, and I really enjoy watching him put every rider to shame. yes, shame."
Trevor, get real. Do you really believe the last part of your statement? Could you look Rusty, Harris, Murray, PB, etc. in the eyes and tell them Soven's riding puts you to shame? No doubt Soven is a great rider, but I think your statement is ridiculous. Also, I don't believe Soven has made the 1080 club yet.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
he had that article in.....i dunno, one of the Wakeboarding Mag's after he won the Pro Tour. Thats one of the only times i've seen alotta exposure in the mags. I'm surprised that he hasn't hit the 10 yet. Two years ago at the double or nothing...i think it was two years ago, maybe it was three, he came really close landed it blind and just slipped the handle
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
On a technical level, I'd say he certainly does smoke Shane and pretty much everyone else. Yeah, there have been a few 1080s landed, but none of those riders could land one right now if you asked to see one. They're hucked all day untill someone lands on the board.

Go ahead and argue all day about style and how you would rather see a sick backside 180 in the flats. Then go read Ryan Siebrings post again. I'm fairly certain that if Soven was in your boat, you would be hoping to see a lot more than a BS 180 that most average wakeboarders can do.

To quote Shapiro, "Soven IS the most technical rider."

Josh, when you question Lyman and Sovens motive for riding, did they tell you this, or are you just making a bunch of assumptions about their character.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Ya, I'm calling BS on Joshua's post and all of you who think Soven has no style or is only tech. I think you're all influenced by what you've heard and read rather than any real carefully formed opinion. Soven's been knocked on by other pros for years.

Funny, that nearly all my non-wakeboarding friends and family think that Soven's section in the Truth is absolutely amazing and the most fun to watch of all my wake video sections.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-01-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Joshua said it good.

But really there is all kinds of different types of people and personality's in wakeboarding. You choose the way you that you want to ride. Phillip's focus is obviously contests and not so much media coverage or doing tricks that feel and look good.

People should respect him more because that he's been able to make probably a decent enough living at such a young age doing something that he has god given talent at.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Different strokes for different folks. If thats the way Phil operates, then thats how he operates (however that is). I gotta respect the man for doing things the way he feels they oughta be done. And its pretty impressive when you can make your preference work out for ya as his has. Props to ya phil!
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
j-Rod - if you read the post carefully you would see that i used phreses like "to me" and "it seems" which clearly indicate that it is my opinon and inpreatation of thier riding as it corresponds to my own experiences.

that being said, being a technical rider does not always make you a good rider.

*The following is a theory* just to clear it up.

just because the kid kills it in contests doesnt make him an the best rider. the fact that you dont see a lot of this stuff in other media lends the suspison that he doesnt do much else than his contest run. if you understand contest riding and have ever done it you would know how much work it takes to get a run down consistent. to be as consistant as he is with that run he obviously does it over and over. now what i wonder is if his riding is limited to those 10 or so major tricks. when strung together they obviously win contests but his video sections look oddly similar to his contest runs if you as me, yes there are differences but through and through it's pretty similar. the other guys, who do get a lot of coverage are puttin down different stuff all over the place. they are out pushing the sport more rather than gettin that winning run down.

sorry but, most "average" (obviously a subjective word) wakeboarders cannot do a BS 180 into the flats. average pros, yes, average riders no.

and to the other josh, "nearly all of my non-wakeboarding friends think..."

sorry man but you cant expect people who dont wakeboard to even know what they are looking at. my non wakebaording friends sit in the boat and chant raley!! raley!! untill they get their way and i do one. fact is thier oppinon on riding is pretty invalid. they just look and see the first thing that they cant fathom doing and all of a sudden hold it as the most amazing thing ever.

hopefully no one gets offended. again, this is just my opinon, not that you asked for it, im just giving it to you anyway.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-01-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Josh- Most of my non wakeboarding friend like watching Lymans sections...updog to be exact. But what does that have to do with anything. Sovens an extremely talented rider, he just to me atleast seems very 1 dimensional in the whole sport, that being contests. No doubt he's amazing at it but there's more to the sport, and I wanna see him do all of it. Besides would any pros be pros if there werent people like us that wanted to see progression and continually purchase thousands in products to help get them paid.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-01-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
I enjoy Soven's film sections and I don't have any problem with his choice of tricks. I think he throws in a sufficient amount of style. I also enjoy watching Shapiro ride and he had a label of being a technical, contest rider. There is a lot to be said for technical proficiency and Soven is very talented in that regard. Every time I watch one of his contest runs I am impressed with how clean and how well he executes, especially given the level of difficulty. I would think in the future he will spread his wings and we will see some more free riding from him. There is plenty of room in the sport for people who ride with technical mastery and also for people who ride for style. Some people manage to combine the two and those are the riders who catch my attention.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Bob, I don't really think thats something you say to someone's face, but that is a good point. Rusty on the other hand... I mean on the topic of soul-less riding...

I don't understand Why the "style police" are after him though, I thought the whole point of style was to do difficult tricks and make them look cool. Poke out your grabs because otherwise they look funny [frontside boardslides should be off the "style list too" in my opinion], Tantrums are easier than 2wake frontside 180's [not my words, I can't do tantrums], tantrums are of the style list; i.e. don't 'huck' anything like you do in snowboarding. and take everything as big as you can. that being said have you ever seen Soven throw something that looked funny [besides a plain suicide]? Have you ever seen him throw a trick where all you need to do is throw yourself around and land?? seems to me [as a person who cannot do a tantrum, merely an observation] almost all his tricks have a certain amount of style by the description above.

[I know this post will make some people angry, keep in mind im just thinking aloud]
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
my $0.02

philip has something working for himself right now. he has an amazing contest run that puts him pretty far ahead of the competition. i highly doubt that came to him over night and i would say it is equally as hard for him to maintain. with that in mind ask yourself this. if you were philip and you were winning competitions regularly and you had some good flow in the doing, would you change things up to win the approval of a bunch of people who, for the most part i would guess, spend more time at their computers than out on the lake? or would you just keep doin what you were doin? do you really expect him to alter routine and thereby risk consitency only for the sake of being accepted as "stylish". i know if it were me i'd be thinkin to myself after every contest win and check added to my account, "here's those who know what style is."

as far as exposure goes he may not be in all the videos but i would venture a guess that aside from the randall harris/chuck norris thing philip has had more talk, for or against, over the last year than any other rider. the exposure must come from somewhere because some of you know or pretend to know an awful lot about the kid.

this is all pretty interestin though.

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
"but watching a whirley dick is only so cool for so long... I would rather see anything TS BS"

Shoot me now.

I fail to see how a guy who can make the hardest tricks in the sport look easy and routine can possibly be said to lack "style". You see it all the time on this board, something to the effect of "Benny G has such awesome style; everything he does looks smooth and in control." But with Soven, people get on because he's too smooth, too controlled, too perfect? Yeah, that makes all kinds of sense. Would people like him more if he intentionally added "flaws" to his riding; if he tapped nuclear on a whirlybird like everyone else does instead of grabbing it legitimately AND taking it to 5, would that give him more style?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-01-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
Plus, Soven hasn't "fallen on a switch method (melan?) crow mobe 5 in two years." Those kind of comments, even if true, and his general cocky attitude (disclaimer: from the admittedly very limited interviews I've seen of him and in my opinion) make him less likeable in my opinion and less likely to be the first choice to market product (e.g., Barry Bonds) in mags and maybe less likely to get movie filmers interested in working with him. If you watch Pull and read Alliance, the same guys are in that show and mag all the time... supporting riders the mag is behind and likes working with. Just a guess.

I think an apt comparison for Soven is Shapiro back when he was focused on winning contests and appeared to be a little cocky ("no mobius, not even needed"). I watched Shapiro dominate on all the pro contests on tv and he was super impressive, but watching Scott Byerly and Gator freeride in Spray was far more inspiring and interesting. That being said, as shown above, there was a difference of opinion as some of my friends preferred Shapiro's intensity and style. In my opinion, though, not until Shapiro took a step back from that intense focus on contests did his freeriding (and popularity) expand. I could see the same thing happening for Soven as his skills are intense, he just seems to be applying those skills to consistency rather freeriding.

In Soven's defense, I have a riding buddy that rocked the Soven "haven't fallen in X time" comment on a backside 3 and has subsequently lost it completely. Fairly hard to back up that type of talk. The Soven Curse.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXAvfrIbBpE

Second Trick in, youre right, no style at all.

7th Trick, Toeside Nuclear Backroll2Blind, When Rusty Falls Through The Air And Lands Like he's an Elephant on a twig, everyone aplauds him. strange.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm not saying he's the best seller of product I just think there is almost no unbiased opinion of his riding on here. I think the people who diss his style only do so because a number of other pros do.

If Soven wasn't the Pro Champ right now and you'd never heard of him and he then popped up with his section in the Truth, can any of you honestly say his section would look boring or too tech?

Further, what do you want to see Soven do that he doesn't now? Freeride is such an ambiguous term. Am I supposed to watch Benny G or Jeff McKee and say, "Oh, that was so sick that they did those tricks that would be easy for Soven to do?" I know it's not about what tricks they "can" do. But Soven has an amazing style that translates well to non-wakeboarders too.
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
the best riding I have ever witnessed was at Wakestock in 2006...the rider that created the most buzz was Soven...and most didn't know who he was. Nothing changed in 07. I hope this just motivates him as this must be getting old to him in more ways than one. Ride on PS.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-01-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Had only seen the Truth once. His Nuclear Whirly and Melan Mobe 5 are pretty sick.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
Ya, maybe Soven should start adding some flaws to his riding. Soven used to not be my favorite rider because I didn't really know who he was and he was always beating all my favorite riders. lol Now I freaking love Soven. His sections in Relentless, The Truth, and Silly are some of my favorite sections ever. He is my favorite rider to watch and I think he has a legit style. His riding is amazing.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
Just watched Soven's section in The Truth. Probably the sickest section I've seen. I think I saw two tricks that could have been landed any cleaner and they were still cleaner than most riders stomp there tricks. Soven is the shiz!
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-02-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
I wish Murray would chime in with his thoughts on Soven, Shaun is more than likely the only one on ww that has gone head to head against philp.

one reason I like to watch Shapiro ride is that he is able to go huge, even with his tech stuff. I think Soven needs to do the same, that might shut some people up.

the kid flat rips!
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       03-02-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
one difference between sovens section and other pros sections is Soven could probably do his whole section filmed in one day and still have a better section with style than most....while other riders would take 1/2 a year to a full year to perfect their section and still not look as good as sovens
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
such haters.

sovens section on the truth is probably the best section on it. there is plenty of freeriding on it. maybe sovens freeriding just contains big tricks. and that super tweaked out tail grab is the bomb.
its funny how much hype lyman and greenwood get... when are those to old dogs gonna learn some new tricks so we dont have to see the exact same section from them again on all upcoming releases.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-02-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
yeah no.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-02-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Classic!

"Don't get me wrong, it's cool to do a mean poke and 180 but take the time to learn a whirly dick and then come on here and tell us how gay you feel doing it."
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
What tricks do Soven do that set him apart from everyone else? The only one I can think of is the whirly dick. Now he is an amazing rider, and deservers a ton of credit. But with today's level of riding, almost everyone can do the tricks he does. It seems like all the top riders are doing heel 9s, mobe 5s, etc. The only difference is that Soven can land them one after the other.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-02-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
leo,you said it yourself "Soven can land them one after the other" that = better to me.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
leo, to answer your question "What tricks do Soven do that set him apart from everyone else?"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXAvfrIbBpE
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       03-02-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
its ridiculous how much control he has
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-02-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
trent, I could not agree more!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Soven is a smart kid and does what is required to win contests. The real problem is the judging system rewards people for "robot riding". The WWA Ausy's have developed a new judging criteria which flat out kick arse, it rewards people for being a complete rider, going big and riding with style.
If anybody wants a run down on the system I'll start a new thread.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-02-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
lets see it darren
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-02-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
i wish i had no style like soven.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Shane, I was referring to originality and doing something that sets him a part from everyone else. For example, Sean Obrien and his KGB handle pass 540. No one has yet to land one.

Trevor, I have seen the truth many of times. The only trick that sets Phillip apart is his whirly dick. Harf can do nuclear whirly 5s, moby dick 5, blind petes. A lot of top riders have nuke ts roll to blinds. Mitch Langfield is doing wake to wake nuke blind petes and HS mobe 5s. A lot of riders have wake to wake HS 9s and BS 7s.

Im not saying he is a bad rider, and I will never be able to ride like him. I am just saying that at today's level of riding, it seems like a lot of people are doing crazy stuff. It seems like people think Phillip is the ultimate rider, when in reality there are a ton of riders who are pushing the sport just as hard. If you get a chance, watch Mitch Lanfield's section in Ozinus. He is 16/17 years old and doing wake to wake bs 7s in the flats.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-03-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
"If Soven wasn't the Pro Champ right now and you'd never heard of him and he then popped up with his section in the Truth, can any of you honestly say his section would look boring or too tech?"

I'd imagine we'd all be wetting ourselves, and a dozen threads would pop up immediately asking "who is this kid?"
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-03-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
According to an interview with him in Wakeboarding Magazine last year he himself states that his total emphasis has been on winning contests and being the best contest rider period and that video sections and the free riding style is not that important to him, at least at this point in his life and career. I can get the exact quote and month of the mag. but take that for what it's worth. I like watching big "floaty" tricks and sick style. It's just more entertaining, inspirational and I just don't care if someone thinks that I need to appreciate the the technical aspects of his riding more. Some folks love tech, the more the better, some don't. To each his own. This is a dumb thread and I'm just rambling on because I'm home sick and kinda out of it right now.
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
lol This thread is hilarious! I just done reading the whole thing and some of you guys need to get your head out of your asses. I remember hearing about this kid in the mid to late 90's back when I riding in contest and I remember seeing him in the vidoes back then as well. Like it has been said he is not even 18 yet and is in the top of his class. Whats he going to be like when is the same age as Rusty or Keith? The kid kills plain and simple. Some of you may not like his style but it is "his style" and can out ride just about every single person on this board. I agree with kylie I wished I had no style like him.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-03-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
To the original post on exposure, it relates to a lot of things. When people come in to the boat shop they don't ask about philip soven. They ask about parks, harf, rusty, lyman, Vandall. These magazines have to put in what people want. Same as vidoes. Not claiming this as 100 percent true, but have heard from a few different guys, from few different companies, that are involved in videos and they have told me that philip is not real easy when it comes to making videos. He is demanding and hard to work with. That said they told me that rusty is the most awesome to guy to film. He will just ride for you as much as you want to just get the awesome footage.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-03-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
so is tadpole and guppy gonna get the same rap?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-04-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
That truth section is absolutely rediculous...not to fond of the kid as a person but his riding pretty much speaks for itself. The most technical rider in the sport right now
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
wakeitup,
it's great that rusty is such an awesome guy to film, but honestly I don't really care whether soven is tough to work with, I just want to see him ride. and he is definitely doing an amazing job riding. personalities are different - some guys are really laid back, others - prob soven is one of them - are perfectionists. they will not be the easiest to work with, but depending on what you are doing, sometimes only the outcome is important. take a hollywood movie for example: do you really care whether one of the actors gave the director a hard time? or do you enjoy watching good acting? i, for my part, salute the director who puts his ego aside and works with the "diva" for a better outcome.

btw, he is just a 17, 18 year old kid! you simply can't compare him personality-wise to guys who are ten years older. i would assume he has a very professional attitude - and he has plenty of time left to relax. for now, he obviously just wants to win contests. ;-)
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
If I was him I would want to win a bunch of contest young and get all that bank roll coming in and in 10 years, at the average age of the other top pros, be able to sit back and relax. He probably still lives at home with his parents. I can tell you when I was his age I thought i was hot and like him was winning every event I rode in (but not quite at that level). Anyways sorry for the rant it just bugs me to see all these people saying he cant ride or has no style.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Protag- i wasn't meaning perfectionist. I was meaning stuck up. And wakeboard videos don't have the money going into them that hollywood videos do. Thats great that YOU want to see him in videos. But obviously the majority of people don't have to big of a problem with him not in them.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
well, stuck-up and perfectionist is often a matter of perspective. i don't know soven personally, so i can't judge whether he is cool or actually really too full of himself. but it seems from this thread that there is quite a lot of ppl who liked his section in The Truth and would like to see more of that - didn't really occur to me that the majority disliked it.

and as i said, he is just a kid, and a pretty successful one, too. wouldn't be a big surprise if he got a little big-headed. most kids would. if he is smart, he will change that attitude, but let him grow up a little before giving him such a hard time about it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
How many of these threads have we had this winter?!?!?!!? Someone link to the other 10 bizillion opinions on Soven's riding threads
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-04-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
"If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much."
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-04-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
The person who did the film Silly said on the commentary that Soven was probably the easiest person to film with.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
phildoe
Old     (wkbddad)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Can't really agree with Phillip being difficult to work with when it comes to videos. He's able to give most photographers more footage in 1 shoot than they get with multiple shoots with other riders. For the Truth, he only filmed 3 times, once in Powell, once at home, and once on sliders. Most of the other guys filmed 8, maybe 10 times.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-05-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Did you not see any of his grabs in The Truth? They were the craziest grabs ever...
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-05-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Mr. Soven did Phillip also film some with a broken wrist? I saw in some of his section he had on a cast or brace or something...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
I think you would have to look at who the rider spent most of his time learning/training with so you can understand their "style".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Philip has spent many hours/years working with Mike Ferraro.
You can't get much more of a technical coach than that... the hardest working man in the industry!
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-05-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
I used to not be a Soven fan. There were a couple things that turned me off. One was his cocky attitude, similar to statement above "He's able to give most photographers more footage in 1 shoot than they get with multiple shoots with other riders." True or not... It is one thing to be competitive, it is another to make everything a competition. Other athletes with this similar outlook are hated by some also (Bonds, Kobe, The Patriots).

The second thing that I didn't like was that it seemed Soven wanted to be Harf for a while. Every "signature" trick Harf had (ie Blind Pete), it seemed Soven had to do it just the same.

Despite all that his section in the Truth is sick. And with the opening grabbed wirly5 and late BS 180, it looks he has put his own spin on some badass tricks.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
I have to chime in on the wanting to be or copy another rider...

Wakeboarding is all about copying other peoples signature tricks.

Randal "God of WW" is a great example of some one who was very inspired by Byerly. Hook and all!

To be copied is the ultimate flattery. I doubt Soven wanted to be Harf. He wanted to learn a trick that only Harf could do at the time.

So is everyone copying Eric Perez when they do a Tantrum?
Is Parks copying Byerly when he does a Pete?
When I do a back roll am I copying Shapiros orbital? J/K D...

It's only cocky if you can't back it up... If you can it's called confidence!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-06-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
I'm a wakeboard dad, and I appreciate Dr. Soven checking in to support his son.
Some of you people are ridiculous with your insinuations that tech tricks don't look cool. I guess riders should stop trying to push the tech envelope, and concentrate on whatever your definition of
"style" is. The fact is that Phillip is the best contest rider out there right now, because he is the most consistent technical rider out there. Why not just appreciate his awesome technical moves as a style all their own. Do you think for a minute that if a poked grabbed BS 180 could score in a contest that Phillip wouldn't be out there doing them bigger and better than most? The fact is that he has mad skills on a wakeboard, and he is using those skills in the way that is working very well for him right now. Give the kid a break! And appreciate the fact that he has risen to the pinnacle of his sport at a very young age. Congratulations Phillip.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
This is a somewhat more interesting topic to me. I think everyone's style, including trick list, is influenced by the crew they ride with and imitation is often the sincerest form of flattery. Someone in your crew lands a new trick and others want to do it. Style points that are appreciated are nurtured. Likewise, lots of people who rode a lot together over the years seemed to have similar styles and/or trick lists, or at least general approaches to riding (cobe/weddington; ryan s. and necrason; lyman and b. greenwood?; byerly and gator; and I'm sure the list goes on with more current riders). And, I think Ryan is spot on as lots of Randall's tricks (switch mobe, switch shifty poke, skeezer, pete) and general style (the hook!) seem directly influenced (i.e., copied from) by Byerly, though Randall has obviously had room to grow and make all those tricks (and many others) his own (3x bigger) over the years.

And, rock on Phillip. I would hope you take some of the constructive criticism to heart (ignore the rest of the garbage) and take your non-contest riding to the next level...you've proven you're the best at contests already. Let's see you take 8-10 shoots to get your movie parts because you're trying different grabs, new tricks, taking things bigger or generally just pushing it and falling more...
Old    K.B.C.            03-06-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
BCH is always trying to copy my shizz, geesh.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Yes, unsuccessfully. However, we do also ride with a man of many nicknames, one of them (the Terminator) being based on his goal, desire, and sometimes sole purpose to track other rider's tricks and terminate them. More often than not successfully.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-06-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
anyone know the name of the song in his section in truth?

(Message edited by blind on March 06, 2008)
Old     (ryadbl)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
the song in the truth is "pressure" by swollen members
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-06-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
thanks
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-07-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
so i just had like 3 paragraphs written on how its rediculous that we keep coming backto this argument about soven and my internet froze, and i lost it all.
im very angry right now it took a loooong time to type.
i dont really feel like retyping, so the general argument is this: people who think soven has no style dont watch his sections. people who dont think sovens tricks set him appart dont know what there talking about. he does a grabbed w2w mobe 5 at the end of his section, how many other ppl do that. hes trying BS 9's, hes trying 10's he does whirly dicks.
everybody has there cocky moments i think we should let this soven argument go its old.
that turned out longer than i planned, i hope people see where im coming from and give him a break.