Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (wakerider23234)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-17-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
today i felt my shoulder pop out but then right away it popped back in. it was very quick. has this ever happened to anybody else thanks.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Happened to me once doing a raley on a trampoline. My left shoulder fell out of its socket and was hanging about a foot below. It was sick. Then it popped back in the socket and everything was fine.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       07-17-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
A foot below... Holy crap, you almost lost an arm!

Unfortunately I have popped my shoulder out... Once. I was trying a TS backroll, and I got a little twisted. My board caught the TS edge, and I was headed down. For some reason, I held on to the rope, which had a lot of slack. The combination of my body falling away from the boat, holding on with one hand, and the slack, I dislocated my left shoulder.

Funny thing was this... It didn't hurt till after it popped back into place! I was wearing a drysuit, so I couldn't feel my shoulder very well. But I remember thinking, "Something isn't right." I was waving my arms, trying to steady myself in the water, when I realized only my left forearm was moving. With my right arm, I rotated my arm around, thinking I had frogged it... That's when it slipped back in, and started to hurt.

I sure hope it doesn't happen again!

-Blake
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
same, blake. and maybe not a foot, but it was hanging pretty far away from my shoulder. I couldn't feel a thing.. and then I gave my arm a shake and it popped back in and I screamed like a schoolgirl.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-17-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
i dislocated mine fourth of july weekend...three weeks in the sling, and three months of physical therapy. I will be out of my sling this saturday. I didn't go down too hard in comparison to many other falls, but at the right angle it doesn't take much.

I have to say that it was not a pleasant experience.

I won't be able to ride until October...and I am real nervous about riding again. It feels real weak right now and I am nervous about it getting knocked out again. I plan on doing all the PT and hopefully I will be able to ride confidently again
Old     (bnice)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-18-2006, 12:13 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, I pop my shoulder out all too often these days. The first time it ever happened, it popped out and then right back in, just like yours. From then on it just got worse. Now it will pop out and stay out until I pop it back in myself. It is definately an uncomfortable and painful feeling that puts a damper on your riding.

I would say take it easy for a bit and maybe even see a doctor for some exercizes to do. Shoulder injuries SUCK and your shoulder will only get worse the more it happens.

Good luck!
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
I continually hear about people who dislocate their shoulder after doing it one time and this is what has me nervous about riding again. I have been skiing for 18 years and riding for about 12 years. I now wonder how often this shoulder will pop out.

I would like to hear of someone who dislocated their shoulder, did the rehab and doesn't have a problem with it any longer...is there anyone like that out there? I figure with as hard as some of the pro riders fall there has to be a few dislocations out there.
Old     (idahotige)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-18-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Having a dislocated shoulder is a very serious injury and you really need to let it recover the appropriate way. Approximately 40% of those who dislocate there shoulder will do it a second time and the percentages only go up from there. You definitely need to go to a good orthopedic doctor and follow the recovery plan very closely. With the appropriate protection during the initial healing phases followed by a progressive strengthening program you will reduce your chances of having recurrent problems. Continued dislocations can lead to the need for surgery and that is a very slow and grueling recovery. Also continued dislocations increase the risk of nerve injury that can significantly reduce the strength and sensation in your upper extremity. So take care of this injury the correct way. You may be out of boarding for a while this season, but it may save you a lot of problems down the road.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-18-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
I disclocated my shoulder for the first time doing a krypt on June 25. I was able to pop it back in myself by having my buddy pin my wrist to the swim step while I pushed away from the boat with my other arm. After a few days and a lot of ice and ibuprofen, it felt much better. Now it's almost back to normal and does not bother me while riding. It still feels weak when I try pull-ups and I've been avoiding raley based tricks. If there are any more problems with it, I'll go get an MRI, but right now I'm hoing any damage was minimal.

For people who dislocate a shoulder regularly, it would wise to consider riding with a water ski jump sling for extra protection.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Richard, I dislocated my shoulder in January. Followed physical therapy and was riding again in six weeks. Mostly just back and forth across the wake, actually the forward pull felt good for mine. It does still hurt sometimes depending on the movement, but overall good. I might add that do enjoy wakeboarding alot, but am not very good. Hope that gives you some encourgement!
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-18-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
My shoulder is all torn up...it dislocates a lot...some times doing just the goofiest stuff....like jumping up and down cheering on my favorite rider (xgirl). its kinda crazy...i have gotten used to it though....pushups and shrugs help keep it where it needs to be though. I usually get more dislocations at the beginning of the season.
-N8
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I've had several dislocations over the last 10 yrs. I had arthroscopic surgery after the first one on my left shoulder. My upper arm basically went up behind my pectoral muscle.

Unless I really messed some things up, I would never have surgery again. I had to at the time because I'd torn a couple ligaments, and had to have them stapled down. Most of the dislocations since the first were more mild like you are describing, but I've had a couple big ones too.

The surgery was by FAR more painful & longer recovery than any other time. I've found that proper exercise is the best medicine. If my shoulders are in shape, I never have problems. If I fall off the wagon with exercise and take a real digger at the wrong angle, it will come out. There are several specific exercises that really help. I do not recommend military press or seated flies. (I've popped them out at the gym before)

Be very careful because you can do serious nerve damage, including paralyzing your arm by severing the main nerve bundle going thru your shoulder. That's why you couldn't feel anything until it went back in.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-18-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
I had my first dislocation 5 yrs ago, putting my arm out while crashing. Cupped my hands in my knee, and pulled it back into position.

Doctor said "surgery", but I'm chicken. Killed my season.

Since then, its been loose where it's happend 3 more times on the water, and twice snowboarding. Once while sleeping with my arm up too.

SOLUTION: I created a harness to protect my shoulder, which is a dog collar (double type) that fits my elbow, then with a chain, links to my waist via life-vest strap. I cannot raise my arm more than 90 degrees away from my body, and since using this harness, have not had a blow-out since.

Dave
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
did it saturday just riding over a roller, just kinda popped out. granted i had both hands on the handle when I usually use one.

did it last august had it immobalized for 2 weeks, now the doc said 5 days, the first time I felt pretty good right out of the sling. plus I use my arms and hands pretty much all day at work (electrition) and haven't felt any pain. or maybe all those high voltage shocks through my arm helped.

can anyone tell me some exercises to keep it in place?

p.s. both times I went to the ER
Old     (idahotige)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-18-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Dustin,

Go to a local physical therapist and they can give you an exercise program focussed at dynamic stabilization of your shoulder.

For all of you having recurrent dislocations be very careful, because as trace voiced above you can have severe and permanent nerve damage that will effect your boarding forever.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Yes, it happened to me the other day. I landed a switch 360 and noticed something wrong with my arm. I am getting an MRI.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
Yep, these are the stories that I was worried about. I am already nervous to ride again. I was looking for some stories of people who had had a dislocation, gone through PT and now they can ride without any problems.

Leo- hope your MRI comes out fine
Dustin- hope yours heals up...anyone else havins shoulder problems? I hope not, it is not pleasant.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, once the ligaments stretch enough to allow a dislocation, they are damaged and may never recover. I went several years with my left shoulder dislocating all the time, and finally had it repaired. If you have dislocated your shoulder the chances are great that you will do it again and again . . . it sucks. For those of you who have not dislocated your shoulders, I recommend strengthening them with light weight and more repetitions. . . my $0.02
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
I ride without problems. Stay in shape.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
trace-
finally, someone who has had no problems. what did you do for rehab? how long since your dislocation?

I am/was in shape. I have been hitting the gym 4 days a week and I ride a road bike 100 miles a week...apparently, I didn't have the proper shoulder exercises incorporated in my routine though.

My PT starts next week, sling comes off Tuesday...thanks for at least some encouraging and positive news
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
That's plenty of exercise, more than I do. Your PT will have plenty of exercises for you to do. You'll be using the big rubber bands for a while. Also, your range of motion will grow over time, so don't try to push it or you will be starting all over.

Always go light and lots of reps, and think about making very smooth, controlled motions. Most are just normal shoulder exercises that you're probably already doing. Think about working all the muscles that surround your shoulders evenly. I've caused myself problems a couple times by doing too much chest and not enough delts/lats. The tighter muscles will pull it one direction or another. Also, if you had a forward dislocation, consider yourself lucky. There is much more damage done in when it pops out towards your back.

There's one specific exercise that looks dumb but really helps the stabilizing muscles around the back of the shoulder joint: lay on a bench on your right side, hold a dumbbell in your left hand (arm across your stomach), and pivot your left shoulder to raise the dumbbell up as far as you can. Flip over and do the right side. Don't expect to do more than about 5 lbs at first.

First time was my left shoulder in about 1995. Had surgery on that one, and it felt loose for a long time after that and would come out a few times a year. My right one rolled out the first time in '99 or so (never had a complete dislocation on the right), and I decided my shoulders were just weak and focused on getting enough proper exercise.

I didn't say I *never* have problems - what I am saying is that they are stable enough that I'm not riding around paranoid about blowing my shoulders. A couple weeks ago I held onto the rope a little too long during a fall, and felt a little roll in my right. I hung it up for the rest of the day, took some aspirin, and was a little sore for a couple days. I will roll one maybe once or twice a year, but it's not a big deal and if you're in shape the recovery goes a lot faster.

This may also be a function of getting used to dealing the injury, though. Also I am conscious of protecting my shoulders during a wipeout now too. Tuck & roll, let go of the rope, don't stick your hands or elbows out to break your fall, etc...
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-19-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
yeah my dislocations happen out the back. I hear some of you talking like you force your shoulder back in socket....mine when positioned the correct way pops back on its own. I just have to move it slowly and lightly around and once it gets to a point it snaps back in.