Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
Hey all,

Trying to figure out what to do for building enclosed covered parking for my new boat - gotta do something to protect my new baby from the brutal Texas sun. Paying for storage fees is ridiculous around this area (at least $150-$200 a month at the bare minimum).

Currently renting our house which has a HUGE concrete slab (we're talking parked my 23' Epic, my F250, fiances Tahoe and still can manuever them all around) in the back as we have a rear entry garage. That being said, we obviously can't build a permanent structure (ie can't be unbolted and taken down) since we don't own the place.

Started pricing out materials for an enclosed wooden12'W x 10'H x 24' L storage, and I'm at least $500-600 into it at a minimum. Not too bad I know, but not looking to invest a ton in this.

Anybody managed to build anything cheaper that doesn't look trashy? I try to keep my neighbors in mind when doing anything and don't want them to have to stare at some rickety shack looking thing.

Any input is appreciated!
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
For less than $500 or $600 I would have no clue? Take into account your annual cost of storage, $2400 in this instance. Probably worth at least that to have a parking canopy or something in the drive way I would imagine.

In the spirit of providing constructive suggestions though you should check this place out. It will surely run more than you are wanting to spend but
is a fairly inexpensive option.
http://www.mdmshelters.com/boat.php
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Ya I know, most people are skoffing at my $500-600 amount, so I figured I would at least just throw it out there and see if anybody is smarter than me and had come up with a better solution. I really don't have a problem spending that to protect my purchase, but I'd rather not do that at a place I don't own. I've looked at the type of enclosure that you sent a link to, but I think I've ruled those out. They're nice that they break down, but for the price I'd rather just build something that's a little more pleasing to the eye and def more sturdy.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-07-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Check out this link and build something that will protect your big investment. As Jake stated, consider your annual storage costs when you look at the price of these carports.

http://www.gaport.com/price/sheets/nc.rc.12.price.htm
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
budget and eye pleasing = Oxymoron = Spinning hubcaps
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart73 View Post
budget and eye pleasing = Oxymoron = Spinning hubcaps
Ha ha, like the analogy! But seriously, $800-1000+ for "glorified tarp shed" or less than that for well thought out wooden enclosure....I'll go for the 2nd option.

Alright, enough already, I'll just build the dang thing.....unless somebody presents some idea that blows me away.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-07-2011, 11:06 PM Reply   
lots of ideas here...
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-08-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Thanks for the idea Already been there done that though
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Two thoughts:

1) Make sure this isn't something what will move in a strong wind. It would really stink to have your shelter damage your boat!

2) I would draw up your plans or even build it then ask your landlord about the possibility of bolting it down. You don't know if you don't ask.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardnxtx View Post
Check out this link and build something that will protect your big investment. As Jake stated, consider your annual storage costs when you look at the price of these carports.

http://www.gaport.com/price/sheets/nc.rc.12.price.htm
Damn. Those aren't installed in Washington State...
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-08-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
You could check out carports.com. I had one installed for my rig and I'm happy with it. I paid a little extra and ordered it tall enough that I didn't have to fold down my tower. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but not terrible looking. Plus you could break it down when you leave. I think I paid around $1000 for mine (that includes delivery and installation).
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-08-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
well if you live in a windy place, forget one of these......lol, i had 3 of them, think i would have learned after the first one blew away.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
If YOU DID IT YOURSELF YOU MAY BE ABLE TO BUILD AN ENCLOSURE SIMILAR TO THIS,BUT NOT AS TALL.Wood wouldn't hold up.
Attached Images

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-08-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
That's what I have Robert. it has served me well. It is also nice to not have to fold the tower down.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-08-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
Im with Ken, I just added longer legs so I did not need to drop the tower also added concrete weights for tie downs
Attached Images

Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-08-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Bascially, I'll just wind up building a glorified carport that's enclosed to keep my dog out (who chewed off all the trailer wiring on one of my other boats) and just protect it from the elements in general. Dimensions would be 12' W x 10' H x 24' L

Priced out some of the metal buildings locally and for the dimensions I want, a bare bones structure was gonna be about $900ish, but fully enclosed it was almost $2K.