Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-20-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
which would you prefer and why?
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
Well I love berryessa and have a soft spot for it. Because I grew up going there, learned how to ride there, and my folks have a house up there in the highlands...but I live in west sac now and I have never really had to deal with chop on the river....u can always find butter. I guess it depends on what ur looking for, if it's a party berryessa, if it's butter then the river.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
river

berryessa gets way too windy and crowded even on weekdays
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
mitch, ive NEVER seen it crowded on a weekday,

we normally launch at around 7 am,(weekend)

then around 2 pm it starts to get choppy, then around 5 it flattens back out.

that just what i see happen normally. or maybe i just get lukcy
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-21-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
I think you get lucky.....

The few times I go to Berryessa I try and get there early because by 10-10:30 it is a stream of boats heading to the bridges. I launch out of Markley and it gets stupid at the launch and through the narrow's.

River on the other hand I know where to go to get butter almost any day of the week @ any time.
But you need to know it not to hit snags and the level is scary low at times.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
You should go to Berryessa because WE go to the river!

Oh and on the river, if you don't know what you're doing say goodbye to your prop or gelcoat or both!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
^^^ Agreed. If you do go to the river, take someone that has gone out >5 times so they can warn you of the hidden dangers of it. Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem but my friend did 2 years ago.. $4k repairs later, his boat is fixed.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       01-21-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I've been to the river quite a few times now and haven't had a problem either (knock on wood). I pretty much try to stay in the middle @ all times and extra conscious of my surroundings. Anything else i should be doing??
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Wing dams and floating/submerged trees are the major issues. But, Jayson, you are doing the right thing...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Right in the middle where we ride is the worst place to be on a couple of the straights because there are some boat killers right under the water!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Ops, not to mention don't cut the corners. That is where my friend screwed up.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       01-21-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
thanks for the tips, now if we can only get some more rain/snow!
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-21-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have done 5K and 7K of damage hitting logs (that were not visible) in the river... This year with the water low, we saw a bunch more than we have just been lucky to not hit...

-Uj
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
David, maybe im just spoiled by the delta, but berryessa does get bad very quick even on weekdays. i havent been to berryessa on a weekend in years and dont plan to. even if there is no wind the rollers just dont seem to die down from power turners.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-21-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
i heard that the river has monsters and old mines from WWII. I've also seen seals attacking and eating people. last year this giant squid attacked out boat, and we BARELY got away. the river is dangerous. stay away.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-21-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
^^^What do you mean, you must be confused. The River is always glass and they just got done dredging the bottom to clear all the debris away. Didn't they just widen it also? It has to be the best water in the state.
Now Vic's, Twin's, Old River, and Railroad are horrible and that is where the man eating seals and WWII lost mines are. Plus they are shutting it down for the spring and summer. Tubers galore in that area and the Sheriff is making everyone scrape the bottom of their boats because of the Zebra striped mussel.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-21-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Wakeviolater forgot to mention pirates. They're creepy, mumble YAARRR alot and take pleasure in pillaging all your booty. Don't risk it!!
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-21-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
since I consider myself a pirate I wasnt going to mention it. thanks for blowing my cover! jeez.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
NO the river wasn't widened or dredged, WakeViolter and I actually stole a bunch of cars and drove them into the river so that people would crash their boats! I have heard of many people crashing and getting caught on snags and drowning because they can't get loose!

I would never go to the river! Stay Away.

Plus I heard Jesus Said "if you don't live on the river, you can't ride the river"

Wouldn't want to disobey Jesus!
Old    kidrik            01-21-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
So Mike, these pirates..........they're gay? I don't want my booty pillaged! I guess I'll take my chances at that delta place now...........
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I heard when you ride the delta they actually fill up your gas tank for free as part of a stimulus package!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Also heard that the restaurants on the river have all had their food licenses pulled since it was deemed unhealthy eating.

(Message edited by dabell on January 21, 2009)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Just saw on the news that there was an oil spill on the river and it has been deemed unsafe to ride for 5 years!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
we launch at markley as well. and i never have horrible conditions. the only time its been really chopping to the point of packing it up and going home was on a three day weekend,. and that was only once
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-21-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
David I must be spoiled by the river then. Or we have totally different opinions of "bad" chop LOL.

I will hit Berryessa during the winter and spring/fall though.

And I ain't touching the butt pirates story I might need to rethink my crew.
Old    kidrik            01-21-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-22-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Hmmm...I always thought this pic looked a little strange!
Upload
Old    kidrik            01-22-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
Hey Mike, you left your K.Y. on the boat again........

I TOLD Jeff he couldn't handle the whopper!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Gives new meaning to "handle droppers" now...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-22-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
I did?? Ahhh man!! So long as Rik keeps bringin that yogurt...it's all good!

OK...I'm done.
Old    kidrik            01-22-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
It IS all good........

dabell, thanks for the visual!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
I'm staying off the river.. Apparently there is something in that water
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-22-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
You guys ate so lucky to have water to ride on at the River. We just got word that the Disco bay area is getting damned off and the water is going to be drained to get rid of the Snuff-a-lupagus parasite. The recent out break has forced the closure. The remaining water ways will be restricted to boats 14' and under with a 5 mile an hour speed limit.The "no tow zone ordinance will now include all waterways in the Disco area.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-22-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
HaHa. Very funny Stacy