Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-13-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Man, looking at all the pics. wakesurfing looks like a blast. For a total beginner with a Sanger 210 what do I need?
Old    surfdad            04-14-2008, 4:49 AM Reply   
I really enjoy, it's great fun and you'll get hooked quickly! To get started you really only need three things:

1) Wakesurf board
2) Ballast
3) A wakesurf specific rope

The last one, the rope, probably 99% of us didn't start out ith one, but it's safer than using a shortened wakeboard rope. The reason being that when you fall (which you will when you start) it's possible whil wakesurfing to be going faster than the boat speed and to accidentally put your arm or even head through the handle.

Dennis has a Sanger, it's a 215, I'm sure there are others than can give you a recommended setup for the ballast.

For the board, we'd need a bit more info on you first. Weight, height, if you'll be the only one using it. That sort of thing.

We certainly hope you'll join our ranks!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Im 6' and about 180 lbs. I assume other people will dig it and want to give it a try so I guess I would like some sort of general board.
Old    surfdad            04-14-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Your weight is great for so many boards. In my experience, and this isn't universal, taller folks have a wider stance or are more comfortable with a wider stance. I like to put them on longer boards. Just so that you know at 180 you're sized for boards in the 4'6" + range.

There is a phenomenon that folks experience when first learning. A longer board tends to offer more stability, but after a few months they outgrow it and can then step down in size. I have found that a good stable beginner board in your quiver is a good investment as invariably next year you'll use it to teach a new member of your crew.

As Scott Cochran pointed out in a separate thread - boards in the 5'4" - 5'6" range from the big three are cheap and easy to locate. Also, there are some good deals on used boards.

Virtually every wakesurf manufacturer offers a beginner board that would suit you. Things you might find useful to consider:

1) If it's important for the board to fit in your standard rack offerings from Phase 5, Calibrated and the big guys are your best bet.

2) Price can be a major consideration and the best thing to do is shop. For the most part the big guys (hl, lf and cwb) offer some good values in the beginner department.

3) Graphics are a matter of personal taste and there are manufacturers that will do custom art.
It seems like all of the entry level boards have some form of graphics on them.

The vast majority of manufacturers are listed here on the WW board pages. That would be a good place to start your research into price and graphics.

In the interest of full disclosure, I organize contests and I solicit product donations from everyone with a heartbeat. :-)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-14-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
I surf behind a V210. We have Fly High V drive sacks and a center ballast. We fill the rear sack on the side I surf on. I also have about 280lbs of lead under the seat, on the side of the boat. I use a 150lb Straight Line Big block bag that can be moved around to adjust the wake.
Sat. I had a nice wake with just 2 people in the boat. My driver sat on the passenger side since we had the lake to ourselves.
Here is a pic of my boat from last Summer.
Upload
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
"taller folks have a wider stance or are more comfortable with a wider stance"

Ha Ha...that is exactly what Idaho Senator Larry Craig said!!
Old    surfdad            04-14-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Oh my! So not the quote I want to make! :-) This is what he SHOULD have said - I was practicing my wakesurfing. Totally believable. :-)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-15-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I set my V215 up like this
Center ballast 500lb
Vdrive locker 400lb
surf side 750 on the floor 370 on the seat and 400 on top of that plus anyone on the boat is over there including one in the bow.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I got some more investing to do in the boat (my wife won't be excited to hear that). Sue, being used to Ca. lakes its crazy to see one thats so clear. Must be nice!
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-15-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
I had a san 210 and had a 750 sitting on 4 -100 hundred pound weight plates with a 750 on the ground for a center tank and 400 in the fron with a 400 half full on the side you are surfing in the bow.the wake was long and medium size.I like it better then my friends malibus and nautiques
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-16-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Rich, That lake is in Montana. It's about a 14 hour drive pulling my boat, but it's worth it. We go every summer and spend about 3 weeks out camping at different lakes with the boat.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-16-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
Sue-
I also have a V210 and I am experimenting with my wake to see If we can get a ride out of it. I have tried the following.

1. 440 lbs in the bow
2. 150 big block in the non surf locker
3. 450lbs in the surf side locker
4. 4 medium bodies on the surf side.Approx.700lbs
What is your optimum mph? Is 12 mph ok?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-16-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
JTW, I usually surf around 10 - 11 mph. I have a hard time staying in the pocket at 12. Your bow weight sounds a little high. Sometimes we have a person sitting up there or I put 2- 95lb blocks up there. Try taking the weight out of the non surf locker and putting it on the floor on the surf side. When I surf, the rub rail in the back corner is touching the water.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-16-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I will give it try. Thanks
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-17-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Your welcome. Let me know how it works.
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-17-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Hey sue
what lake do you ride on? We ride on WHitefish lake,
which is still pretty much iced over.
Old     (delweed)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-17-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
I HAVE A SANGER V-210 ALSO
I HAVE 550 LBS OF LEAD 150 UP FRONT
100 UNDER SPOTER SEAT
300 UNDER BACK CORNER SEAT
2 350 LB SACKS BOTH GO IN BACK COMPARTMENT CANT FILL THEM BOTH ALL THE WAY BUT 1 FULL OTHER ON TOP AS FULL AS I CAN GET IT
THERE IS ONLY THREE OF US SO NOT MUCH PEOPLE WEIGHT IT DOES MAKE A NICE WAKE AT 10 TO 11 MILES AN HOUR AND GOT TO GET OVER THINKING YOUR GOING TO SINK THE BOAT IT DOES FILL LIKE IT SOME TIMES WATER BACK CORNER OF UPOULSRTY WHEN MOVING
BUT ALOT OF FUN.

DEL AT NEWHOGAN
Old    surfdad            04-17-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Del is that you?! So good to see you posting. When are we going to get you up and riding? You can't let Stevie have all the fun!

See you at Hogan
Old     (delweed)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-17-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
YEP ITS ME AND IM AVAILABLE SUNDAY
Old     (delweed)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-17-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
HERE IS A PIC FROM ARE SANGER V-210
Upload
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-17-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
Hey nwrider I have surfed Whitefish. It's really pretty up there. We camped at the State campground a few years ago. My in laws live in Libby. The picture I posted is from Dicky Lake last summer. I also ride Koocanusa, Bull Lake, Thompson and McGregor lake. I live in Idaho but I will be up there around the end of July for a couple of weeks. We are always looking for people to ride with.
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-17-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I teach wakeboarding and wakesurfing in whitefish in the summers if you guys are interested in meeting on dicky lake, Upload
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-17-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
nwrider we are always looking for a third at Dicky Lake. I will let you know as soon as I figure out the exact dates that we will be there. We plan to camp at Dicky for several days.