Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
I have some 07 ronix cell bindings and when I was out sunday the pull strap for the lower part of the binding got stuck under the heel of my boot. Has this happened to anyone else ? should this happen ? I was looking at them today and it looks like the heel of the binding has a gap. I think maybe the plate is warped ? What do you guys think ? should i call ronix and see whats up. I really like the bindings they are great besides this problem.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-09-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Happened to a friend of mine as well.. do the 2008's do this?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
They flex. When they flex the laces get stuck under the base plate. It happens on many brands. Especially with the lighter base plates.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
my ones do the same thing. i called the pro shop that i bought them from and they said that it is normal. i asked the same thing about the plate warping and they said no. when it really annoys me is when i fall and i can feel the heel lift up and down in the water. it feels like my bindings are loose. mine have to be sent back anyways cuz the liners ripped out so maybe it will be fixed when they come back or ill have a new pair lol
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
wow thanks for the fast response. Should I get new base plates ?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
i dont think it will fix anything. mine have been like this all season
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
get hyperlite closed toes they still run the bigger base plate = less chance of this kind of heel lift :-)
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
thanks for the input chris but the hyperlite boots will look funny on my ibex.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
the 07 murrays would look sweet but yeah good point. there is a pic on here some where of an ibex with 06 murrays. maybe try the 08 reliks and hope they have fixed the heel lift issue they look like some sweet boots!
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Get new boots, not new baseplates. The new six inch plates by CWB eliminate this.

This is heel lift:

Upload
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
I just got these boots in august do you think they will warranty them ?
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
thats a little bit of heel lift there :-O
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
I agree that is a lot of lift. looks dangerous
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
suprised no plates have snapped yet
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
all bindings do this...my lf's did it..my hype's did it...i can't yet tell if my slingshots do it..but they're all gonna have heel lift...
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-09-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's not an issue that will be covered under warranty (at least I wouldn't think so). Simply because of the design of the baseplate they have a tendency to lift, which is quite unfortunate. Apparently the 08 Ronix boots will have a fix for this issue, but I'll believe it when I see it. LF has their new baseplate system which has potential, but again, I'll believe it when I see it. The 4 hole baseplate pattern on the Slingshot boards (not sure if its back for 08) should help minimize heel/toe lift, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
i saw the new base plate system for the LFs last night. it is tech. no flex in the base plate what so ever. but it is only offered in the watson, shane, and wing(i think the wing). it might add some weight but it is going to be so responsive, when the boot moves the board moves.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
I had this same issue. One of the eyelets is ripping out, so I am just gonna send the whole pair back. Best pair of bindings I've ever owned though, so freakin comfortable (the ones)
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/jovedawake/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

lf bindings also have this problem. hopefully their new plate system does the fix...
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
i have a heard a lot of people asking why all of the board companies don't switch to a four hole system like snowboarding and slingshot.

it would probably fix heel lift issues and the plates wouldn't have to gain weight.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yup, I am on my second pair of cells as well. I decided to try and epoxy the baseplate to the boot (which voided the warranty I am sure). It held up pretty good for about a month, but I am having heal lift again. I used 3000lbs/inch epoxy, and coated them up pretty good; still no go.

I think slingshot is onto something though. Its definitely a pet peeve of mine. I HATE heal lift!!!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
my brother has metal plates on his cells :-)
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
4 hole or not, the boot is still connected to the board in the center, not the toe and heel! The stiffness of the base plate/sole of the boot is what control heel/toe lift.
Old    justinh            10-10-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Maybe I am just crazy, but what about an old-fashion plate. Good aluminum won't flex. Companies seem to be creating very creative/complex answers to a very simple problem.

Another upside is that it would not leave you a mile from your board.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
****Too lazy to read all of the post, but you can have them send the 08 plates and they a more stiff and have much less lift. I have the 08 plates on my 07 Cell boots and there is a world of difference.
Old    atom_ant            10-10-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
So I thought it was just my boards fault. I ride the Absolute with 07 Cells and there is tons of heel lift. That's pretty bad for there to be heel lift on the Ibex though. I've never had this happen with any other bindings.

Nate, do they send the plates for free?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Nate, can you PM me the contact information. Last time I called them they said I was "the first to complain about heal lift" Which I found to be BS. I just want a name of someone to talk to that is up to date on the issue.

Thanks,
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Probably heel lift will disappear with the new CWB and LF plates. But are the plates of Ronix and Hyperlite differant for this year???

(Message edited by robin_holland on October 10, 2007)
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-16-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
matt or nate,

do either of you guys have the name and number for getting new ronix plates?

thanks
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
No I do not. Nate may, but I never got a PM with information. The guy I talked to at ronix back in June acted as if I was the first person to ever complain of heal lift.

FWIW: I epoxied my baseplates to my boots, and it helped for about a month. I still have the heal lift just less. When I pull on the back strap of my boots you can see the boot trying to pull away from the baseplate even though the screws are as tight as could possibly be. I will probably look into new boots next season as these are pretty worn already. I think for the winter I may try and yank the liners from the boots and put some flush mounting through bolts through the toes and heals to the plates.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
You got Heel Lift?

If you want ultimate heel hold down look no further than SLINGSHOT WAKE.

We have a nice boot setup that prevents Heel Lift with an inner lace support system that that locks you down in your boot.

Comes standard with PB Floyd,D2,and jewel"womens".

The 1 lace system if removable too for the tweeky!

Also the 4 hole pattern below the boots really plants your boot on the board for total board to boot connection.

Notice - That you are not floating above your board, the boots are right there. Response!

Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by flexnwake on October 16, 2007)
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Closer look at the inner lacing system.

Upload
Upload
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
Slingshot, I appreciate your help on this but I must say this: If your not paying Dave for advertising, you may start building a bad rep around here. I am not trying to bash you personally, or the product, they both seem cool. But if the majority of your posts here are promoting Slingshot you may end up building negative PR.

BTW: I am personally planning on looking into a full slingshot setup for 08, so no need to try and sell me. I just hope Cope & Mcpheters gets them in for demo's early on!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-16-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
I appreciate the pics of the new slingshot gear... i am always looking to see or read things that delve deeper into the typical comments given by most... though i do realize some like it simple... i like to know the whole deal... it fascinates me and makes me happy

Thanx flexnwake
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-16-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
new liners look great, big improvement from '07 and the laces too it looks like
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Austin,Matt - PM Sent.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
~

I not here to build negative PR! I here to build a relationship between the Rider and Company. I here to post topics regarding updates, new products, and answer questions regarding Slingshot. How could this make me build negative PR? I'm here to help and promote a product i truly believe in or i won't have quite my high paying job to sell wake boards and kites!

There is alot of misinfomation out there and i'm here to try to clean things up if i can.

I will back up most of my post with pictures because one picture is worth a thousand words and for the rider much easier to decipher then to read someone's bias opinion. I let you make you own opinion!

For me stopping posting, well that won't happen. Some people might hate me some people might love me but i getting the message out there.

When did free speech become so hated on...?

This is a forum "OR A DATA BASE FULL OF INFO" and i'm going to use it for what it is...

Cheers

flexnwake

Slingshot
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-17-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
My cells do the same thing.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-17-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
flexnwake, you have started a war.

ronix had thin (but not flexible) metal plates (same overall shape, just flat metal) on their prototype bindings. They are a little heavier but the heel hold down in insane. I don't know why they just don't use their original idea...
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-17-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Slingshot, look at you first post, it reads like a GIANT advertisement. I'd almost expect the next sentance to say "Buy now and we'll throw in an extra set of laces" It does not read like you're trying to help people get over heel lift problems. Because other people pay for advertising on this site, you will get a bad rap by posts like that. In turn your product, Slingshot, will get a bad rap and you will actually hurt the company you're repping by turning off posters on here. Not because you're posting info about Slingshot but because it REALLY looks like you're advertising without paying.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk but to warn you because I've seen this happen and I've been turned off to other products on here because it seemed like people were ramming it down my throat.

At least be more subtle about it. Maybe try: "I've noticed heel lift is a big problem in the industry and it really seems like Slingshot has solved this problem with the 4 hole pattern system."

Welcome to the site and good luck in your new business!
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
flexnwake,

are the 08 boards the same as the 07's? Is there any difference to them at all?

I rode the recoil which is supposed to be a 3 stage rocker board, but it rode more like a continious rocker to me. Maybe I'm just used to having an agressive 3 stage.

Any word on possibly having a more aggressive rocker in the future?

thanks
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I will take notice. but i am pushing a product but i hope not down your throat. When it comes to a independent topic post or Slingshot post i will be lurking.

Not sure about 09 board line up but the 07/08 have the same outline and construction. But the top sheet and graphics are a different story which i should probably start another topic post before i get burned on...

Cheers

flexnwake.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-17-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
I don't think flexnwake said anything different from all the guys on here pushing CWB and the Obrien guys pushing their stuff. His screen name at least lets you know from the beginning the origin of his bias. No problems here. If he can't push his product no nobody else should be allowed to either.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Eubanks, I agree completely, thats why I was so cordial in my first post (which I hope came through in the reading of it). If anything I think he is much more open about his relationship with the company than a lot of others on here.

FWIW, I am pulling for slingshot, and intend on demo-ing. I hold literally ZERO allegiances. I try to ride 3-4 days a week during the summer and enjoy riding on good product. I will modify anything I buy to make it fit me better. Right now my cells have an extra set of laces for the ankle loops since those tend to loosen up on me (along with the epoxy mentioned above). In my perfect world the cells would have a 4 bolt setup (and so would my DU lidberg!), have an extra ankle strap for heal hold, and more flexy boot construction.

Nate, I will be contacting you today.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
If I am being targeted as one of "The O'Brien Guys" then I have to point out one big difference, O'Brien doesn't pay my bills!

That being said, I don't have a problem with anything Flexnwake has posted and I think his input is valuable.

I've even ridden a slingshot board, it was fun, but I didn't think the landings were that soft unless I landed on the tail, not something I usually try to do.

Different strokes for different folks!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-17-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Steve posts about heel lift, people complain about heel lift in the top binding companies, flexnwake offers a suggestion. Sorry, whats the problem?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-17-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Not you Jakober, just Andy...and the CWB guys are too many to mention!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Yea, that Andy guy always has something to say about O'Brien.....Good thing he knows how to go huge and make their stuff look sweet
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
What War?...
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-17-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
i was just joking. i really though a lot of people were going to battle it out with you...not so much.

haha, i'm a funny guy.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-17-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
Any other (non affiliated) person could have posted the same exact thing EXCEPT that they would replace all the pronouns "We" and "Us" and replace it with "They" and the poster would have gotten NO flack. Had another poster posted it like that they might have even been commended and had further people asking where he/she got the kool pics. If any argument could have accured from this, it would have remained simply a looks and functionality preference and opinion "war" of prefered company brands

EXAMPLE: (modifications in red)
---------------------------------------------------
You got Heel Lift?

If you want ultimate heel hold down look no further than SLINGSHOT WAKE.

Slingshot has a nice boot setup that prevents Heel Lift with an inner lace support system that locks you down in your boot.

There are three different boots for 2008: PB Floyd,D2,and jewel"womens".

The 1 lace system if removable too for the tweeky!

Also the 4 hole pattern below the boots really plants your boot on the board for total board to boot connection.

Notice - That you are not floating above your board, the boots are right there. Response!

---------------------------------------------------

P.S. OK, mayyybbeee the "comes standard" phrase could be changed too.

~~~Flexnwake~~~
just change a few pronouns to point more directly at the company and your set!!

thanx again for the info and suggestion}
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-17-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
............I must say tomato..tomato....everyone knows who he is, and what he believes in (slingshot) now he has to colour coat it and think about how he writes about it?.....imho....thats taking it a little to far....either way he writes we still know its promotion....so.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I just wanted to update everyone since there have been so many responses to this post. Ronix has sent out the 08 cell base plates, I just put them on and the heel lift looks to be gone. No more gap between the boot and the board. Only time will tell though. I will post again once I ride them.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
Hey Steve,

What material are the base plates? I know that new bindings never have heel lift, but after a few weeks of riding, the material starts to flex more.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
mine does the same thing. thats what the ones do depending on what board you have. it doesnt affect me
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Leo looks like the same composite plastic they used before. There is a different design though. I tried to pull them away from the board and they did not budge. My old plates would flex and the heel would lift when I pulled on them. Looks like a good sign to me.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-23-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
i say screw all of you who are talkin crap to slingshot(flexwake). hes on here tryin to promote a company that he beleives in and works for. every other person on here does the same thing about the product they believe in. just because hes works for the company doesnt give him any less right to promote somethin that he believes in than anyone else. this is a public forum and last i checked the president the the religous right havent completely taken away freedom of speech yet. if you dont like it ignore it. personal sensorship is not that hard