Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Hey guys just thought i would pass this by you guys to see what you think or if you have a better idea than what im thinkin. Im going to be running two syn4s powering 4 rev tens. a typical weekend out on the boat will be out on the water for the majority of the day and at beer thirty park the boat and crank the tunes. My idea was to hard mount a honda eu2000i in the back on one or the other side of the boat and then have a three battery set up not isolated on the other side. I was thinkin i could run the exaust of the generator out the back of the boat when running and have a onboard charger to keep the batterys charged when playing music. looking at previouse posts it seems to be a battle to keep enough batterys on the boat to keep the stereo playing for long periods of time. The initial cost of this set up would be much more but the generator would be well used other places if needed. im just thinking this would be the best easyest most reliable way to have the best of both worlds when out for the weekend. I was also thinkin as for gas for the generator i could put a T in my fuel line with a cap then if i need to fuel the generator i could take the cap off and hook line up to the T and run the engine while fueling the genreator. all fittings would be aircraft grade AN fittings. Tell me what you guys think maybe im missing something or over looking a issue why not to do this thanks guys
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-20-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
i would put 4 golf cart batteries instead or maybe just 2. i was going to put a generator on mine to keep my 3 3200 kenetics charged because we do alot of party cove action, glad i went with the golf carts instead. im running 8 golf cart batteries, they power 4 rev 10s and 1 rev 410, 6 jl 7.7 and 4 jl w5, my amps are jl, there are 3 750/1 running the tower 2 600/4 running the subs and 2 600/6 running the inside speakers........ ive ran it cranked for 3 days with not a single charge, and they were still playing loud. just ran out of days to party. so i dont know how long they would actually last. but by fare the best stereo investment ive made. 0 maintenance!!!!!
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
Just out of ceriousity what made you shy away from a generator? My thinking is spend the money on two good batterys for my stereo bank and a generator. having a bunch of golf cart batterys in my boat would deffently work But if i ever wanna just do normal tent camping or power goes out in the winter i cant just pour some gas on the 6v batterys and have power for hours. i guses im trying to be more versitile with my power than permanet.
Old     (mrbrian)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
The problem with generators in a boat is that most are air cooled so they need lots of room around them. Another problem is the noise that they create gives a higher noise floor that you have to over come before you can even hear your music, These could be over come with a big super quite generator from a motor home but they take up major space probably min of one whole ski locker if not more. Then you would also have to run your blower constantly to make sure of no build up fumes that could explode.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Im thinking with 4 rev10s i will have no problem overcoming the noise of the generator and the space and heat issue i deffently agree with but with a split engine bay compartment i think just leaving one over the top of it would work well. so far the only cons im seeing is heat and storage space. witch storage space is going to be taken up with batterys any way you wanna look at it if you running a good sized stereo.
Old     (mrbrian)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
You are better off bringing your big generator and leaving it on the beach and running it all night to charge the batteries. We have seen generators tried many times built in and ultimately it never works. The worst was a explosion that ripped off the back hatches How many times are you out for a multi day weekend four maybe? if it was as easy as popping a generator in the back everyone would do it. The work and dangers are much more than a little heat and space venting the gas lines for the tank out to the air, where are you going to store fuel, if you use the onboard tank what does that do to your fuel injection system for the boat when you start siphoning off of the factory fuel lines, does it use the same fuel pressure that the engine uses....... just a few little things i could think of. Probably ten times that once you start the project.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
as far as mounting i under stand the issue there i was thinkin of welding up a box out of 1x1 for it to set in and fasten that down to the boat no more work than mounting batterys just requiers a bit of welding. as far as fumes and explosions if it was that bad i could run my blower that would draw barley any power at all and im sure blowers are cheeper than alternators and batterys. for the fuel issue my boat unfortanitly is still carb so it wont have any high pressure fuel lines to deal with. keep the input coming so far i havnt seen any thing that is to hard to over come.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Why not just put in a dedicated stereo alternator and voltage gauge and start the boat every few hours to charge the stereo bank.

Unless you want unique, I think it's been stated pretty conclusively that a generator is a bad idea, at least in a wake boat.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Holy Cow. Maybe you should strip an old jet ski and turn it into some sort of trailer pulled by the boat or create some generator powered PA system. Better yet find a friend with a pontoon boat or let me know when the next part takes place.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
If you're going to run a generator inside the boat get a marine genset. Water cooled and has all the marine specs to not blow ya up.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
this generator looks to be a very very popular item for sail boats and bigger boat. main concern they have is the co as they sleep on there boat me on the other had will not be sleeping on it, nor sleeping near it or sleeping at all with it going. maybe doing like hyperlite did at the bump just putting it in the bow is the best easyest way. just seems a hell of alot cheeper to keep a few batterys maintained rather than going threw alternators all the time or having dead batterys all the time or just having to shut your music off. approve or not from you guys im not going to spend a ton of money every few years just to keep replacing all my batterys so i can play music for houses. for the price of 4 to 8 good batterys i can by one generator that will last ten times longer than batterys and be able to use it any time any wear.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-20-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
The generator isn't the issue, what you want to do with it is. Buy it and set it one the floor at the end of the day and let it do it's job so you're ready for the next day. What you want to do is potentially make it a bomb out of it by putting it in the engine compartment. Jacking around with the fuel lines in the boat will only shorten the fuse on your bomb. It's not marine rated, and shouldn't be there.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-20-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
im not against the generator. just seemed like a lot of head ache.... i dont know how your party cove is but ours can get out of control and i didnt want a generator running and have some drunk on my boat kick it over or something. or be up on the beach and something happen and me not be by my boat and it burn to the water line while playing vollyball or h shoes. when i was thinking about it i was actually going to plum it out of the boat. i was going to build some brackets off the front of the boat so the generator would actually hang over the water. so if something happened it couldnt damage my ride. i think either way is a great way, one just a little less work and less danger. i deff wouldnt plum it in to my fuel system. generators now days really dont burn the fuel and if you have that much load on it where it does i would guess you need better batteries anyways
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-20-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
i have 3 syn4s 4 rev10s 6 xs650's and an xs12 sub with a m600x1 i have 4 deep cycle group 24's and an on board charger. we crank it for 12 hours with no problems last week on a 100 degree saturday, i think you will be fine
Old     (mrbrian)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Your generator will not run the system so you will still need your Batteries and even with the generator they will still go bad every couple of years because they are getting used under harsh conditions. Sail boats and cabin cruisers only power a few accessories so it is not an apples to apples look at what you need. Believe me the idea is great but ive seen alot of money thrown at this idea before. Look at a motor home generator it is huge with radiator and everything and they are not running mega watt stereos most of the time and they still have a bank of batteries. I well put together battery bank properly charged will run just about any stereo for at the very least one full day easily stretched to a three day weekend with just running the stock alternator to recharge then alittle during the day. That honda only puts out 8 amps of dc current to charge your batteries thats one tenth of what the stock alternator does.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-21-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
I've said this in other threads on the same subject, I just think running 110V on a boat with drunk people is asking for disaster.
Old     (tims72)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-23-2012, 12:42 AM Reply   
i have the generator setup and it works for me. i only need it on the boat a couple times a year. BM is right it wont run your stereo but it will help keep it going if you have enough battery banks. the syn amps i heard are really effecient and with only 4 tower speaker and your inboats you shouldnt need the generator. get 3 good batteries 2 for the stereo and 1 for the boat and should should be fine for all day fun. i would recomend charging it over night if you plan on having a round 2. i didnt charge mine at all for this whole week of being on the water with 2 days of playing tunes for the family.