Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
ON here there have been amny debates about getting the biocore or DNA core and saying that it matters... Well does it affect your riding? I know with me I had a DNA byerly (that was stolen) and loved it, then got the biocore PArks/with park bindings and find myself always riding my buddies 02 Evo with ulta suctions.. It is so much lighter and that weight makes a huge difference for me... I love my park bindings, but the are so heavy and the board rides great, but again heavy. With my buddies board i can jump higher at less of an effort, spin and flip easier. I have rode many boards and i always love the lighter ones...

anyone have the same feeling of is it just me?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-14-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
Yea, I ride the substance 136. I really like light boards. Also the billy mckee is a light board with a huge rocker and is easy to flip or spin. Personally I don't think its worth $550 for a DNA board. Hyperlite makes heavy boards. If they made their biolite boards light, then it would be pointless to have a DNA line of boards. The DNA boards would have to weigh like 3.5 lbs to make the difference worth it. I have always liked light boards. People say to eat less at dinner and lose weight if you want a leighter board. That is good and all, but you still have the swing weight of the board. Anyone can do a flip on a trampoline, but add a board to your feet and its a hell of a lot harder.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
I strapped on the new Byerly board last week, which is heavier than my Plat Absolute, and I could not tell a difference. It almost seemed like the heavier board swung over my head faster on the Tantrums because of the extra swing weight....if that's even possible. I threw down my usual stuff though. It didn't bother me.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
J-Rod... I guess your just the sh*t!!!! hehe

it just feels like lead weights on your ankles when your riding...

THat byerly is very heavy!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
oh..I didn't mean to come off like that! I'm def not the sh*t!

Usually when I try something new, I forget that I'm on a different board as soon as I hit the wake. The board was way different on the surface, but in the air I couldn't tell the extra weight was there.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-14-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
My board doesn't seem that heavy until I put the bindings on it. Then it seems heavy.

I wonder what the weight difference really is between your setup and your friends setup.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
Nope. It's in your head
Old    norcal_99            06-14-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
If I stop at McDonalds, on the way to the delta and supersize my #3 value meal, the extra weight from the fries I've just eaten prohibits me from sticking the landings on my TS W2W's.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-14-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
yep
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-14-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
ALEE, did you ever consider that maybe the parks/parks setup isnt for you? I don't think a few lbs makes alot of difference in pop, its all about board design and your personal style and preference. Maybe you go higher and ride better on your friends setup because it suits you better, I doubt weight has much to do with it, which is why I tell people who ask what they should buy, try atleast a few because you might surprise yourself.

-Duane
Old    phantom770            06-15-2004, 12:56 AM Reply   
Personally the weight only makes a difference to me when i'm travelling, - those damn airline companies and their weight regulations
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-15-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Whats up Duane! I like the way the Parks rides, THe DNA would be a lot better for me. but over all i do feel that weight being harder to throw around. Maybe i'll trade the deck in for a dna or absolute or prodigy... hmmmm
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
I just went from a HL 141 premier with highbacks to a LF substance with ultra sucs. The weight difference is amazing. Definitely noticeable on and off the water. Thing is...It doesn't make me ride any differently, but it does feel a lot lighter and snappier. It definitely has to do with the design of the board as well, but I prefer the light weight feel of it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yeah if you want something light, def check out the Platinum CWBs.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-15-2004, 10:31 PM Reply   
What size is the EVO that you were riding from your friend? I need to get into a new board but being college student and having the gas bills to pay its gonna be rough this summer. I have been riding my friends byerly lately instead of my premier, if I could find something with even more speed and a lighter snappy feel as people define, I would jump on it in a heartbeat... the byerly is ions difference from the premier, the byerly is such a better ride in my opinion
Duane
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-16-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Weight defintely matters to me. Putting the boards in and out of the board racks after some brews, working on spins, etc. Hyperlite combos add 2-4 lbs in general compared to some of the others. I have a 141 premiere with 3060's (didn't like the feel of the bindings at all, traded for Ultras), 140 Origin SwampMonster with Ultras (lightest combo I've ever tried), a friend just sold his '03 Parks with Byerlys and got Ultras with an LF Balance just because of the weight factor.