Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Instead of using the $55 Heater Craft Wye, I've used a Mercruiser fitting as mentioned by baitkiller on this board (part 22-862993 WATER FITTING).

After installing this, the engine does not warm up past 120*. To test if installing the wye was casuing the engine to not warm up, I removed the wye and it now warms up to 160*.

Has anyone experienced this and have any suggestions for me?

2013 Supreme V208
Heater Craft 3 vent heater installed from the factory
5.7 Indmar
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-19-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Is it a really tiny hole inside the wye? Do you have the wye pointed towards the raw water pickup?

It sounds like you are pushing cool water the wrong way up the heater hose (behind the thermostat) rather than the wye creating suction as intended.
Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
The wye is installed in the right direction. There is no restriction in it though (no tiny hole in the barb portion) - the barb is for a 3/4" hose, which I've used a barb fitting to attach to the 5/8" heater hose.

My thought is that the wye fiting is drawing too much hot water from the engine block before it is up to temp. This means that the hot water that has left the block to go to the heater is being replaced with cold water from the impeller faster than the engine can warm up.

Sounds like restricting the return line that ties into the wye fitting is what needs to be done?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-19-2013, 12:03 PM Reply   
yeah, but your theory seems wrong because the thermostat should not be open to circulate cold water past it, no matter how fast the water in the heater is circulating. Unless it's creating such forceful suction that the heater hose is pulling a ton of water past the thermostat bypass?
Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Unless it's creating such forceful suction that the heater hose is pulling a ton of water past the thermostat bypass?
In thinking this must be the case. And not really the thermostat bypass as mush as it is the wye allowing for a lot of suction that is just draining the block of hot water and the impeller is filling up the block with cold water

Does anyone know if the actual Heater Craft Wye has a smaller inside diameter on the 5/8" barb (IE restricted to 1/4")?

Last edited by Zteven; 09-19-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-27-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
The solution is to add a restriction to the return hose that goes into the Mercury wye fitting. I added a ball valve to adjust the amount of restriction to get it just right. Apparently the Heater Craft part has a 1/8" restriction in the 5/8" barb.

Hot water was dumping through the heater and into the raw water intake too fast, therefore being replaced with cold water from the impeller causing the block to run cold.