Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2007, 2:55 AM Reply   
i have been riding for about 6 months now love it, but cannot pull a single trick..well switch 180 w2w's is as deep as i get...what do i need to do to land a 3? i have not even thought of invert but want to try soo bad!! i was hoping to use your trial n error...what to do or not to do's...i am just tired of riding like crap and nothing feels better to me than being on the water but i just don't feel like i am progressing!! help please if you can!!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-22-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
I know how you feel, getting stuck in a rut sucks...unfortunately it is pretty common in wakeboarding to go through periods where you dont learn anything new for awhile.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Im sure you've heard it all before, but you need to stop thinking about what you are NOT accomplishing and focus on what you ARE doing well, and try making it better.

When I get in a rut, I do a few things:

1- try a new grab or poke on an old trick

2- work on switch riding, or surface tricks, (try an ollie B/S 180 out in the flats, they are super fun)

3- try that new trick you're scared of!...seriously most tricks are scary the first time you try it, then after its no big deal.

Once you get away from your normal stuff that frustrates you and try new things no matter how basic, it'll bring back your confidence and ability to have fun again, and you'll naturally start progressing again:-)

hope this helps!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
you are so right thanks for the good advise...i'll try it out today! see i am already stoked...tehehee i feel like everyone around me is advancing...and i am the one on the slow end of the learning curve...i want it so bad!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Tracy, how many times to I had to tell you. Just relax and be patient, otherwise you're going to get hurt because you've skipped steps in your progression.

Andrea gave you some really good advice so use it. Also, have you been videoing yourself??? That's a great tool that will also help your progression. Video every chance you get!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Tracy, how many times did I tell you. Just relax and be patient, otherwise you're going to get hurt because you've skipped steps in your progression.

Andrea gave you some really good advice so use it. Also, have you been videoing yourself??? That's a great tool that will also help your progression. Video every chance you get!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Sorry for the double post, can't figure out how to edit posts.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-24-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   

quote:

can't figure out how to edit posts.

Shima ~~ In the gray line with your name and date all the way to the right is a picture with a pad and pencil and a pad with an X. That is where you can edit and even delete your post as long as it's done within a half hour of your post.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Josh! Now I see it. I'm too late to edit/delete what I already wrote.

Sorry for the hijack ladies. Continue on!
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
quote by TCAN:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have been riding for about 6 months now love it, but cannot pull a single trick..well switch 180 w2w's is as deep as i get...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still working on that, and I've been riding a lot longer than you.........Excuse me while I go kill myself now...
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-25-2007, 3:32 AM Reply   
thanks ryan...you know how i am i rode today just doing w2w knees not quite ready for much more...i was stoked that you came back n bummed that you couldn't come ride i accomplish the goals you set for me...minus the torn mcl...details...ur right pace myself and i got a but load of footage
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-25-2007, 3:38 AM Reply   
clubjoe!! don't say that!! i frequent the water more than anyone i know here...lots of time on the water....with the amount of time on the water i have i should be doing alllllllllllooooooottttt more than i am....i spend50% time on the water 40% in the hospital getting fixed from wake, getting gas and cleaning boat and about 10% sleeping, being a housewife, mom, cookin and all that other silly stuff...ask ryan!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-25-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
If your a mom then try an invert. It wont hurt compared to child birth.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-25-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Tracy, be careful riding with a torn MCL, you don't want to make it worse, otherwise, you'll really be bumming if you have to spend the season off the water. Trust me! What are the doctor'plans for treatment (surgery, PT, natural healing, etc)?

Send me the video footage for critique when you get a chance. BTW, have you been able to use those fatsacs in your boat yet? If so, how's it been working out?
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-26-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
the fat sacks are a permanent easement on the boat now! i don't ride with out them of course unless i have 8+ people. dr wants me to naturally heal and use dyna bands...since it is my first tear in my knee i guess it is not that big of a deal...more annoying than anything. i am lucky it is not completely torn just about 1/2 way through. as soon as i learn how to load my video i will send...what program do you use? the wake is small but clean and fun it makes me like my boat for riding again!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-26-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
x-girl...nothing could be more painful....lol i don't really fear getting hurt...i think what i fear most is being robbed of time on the water
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-26-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
Tracy try a 3 off other wakes, and the boats turn around. YOu can tell your driver how you like to hit the rollers straight on. Or at an angle that is how I do it. And it hurts less than going wtw, for now.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2007, 2:44 AM Reply   
huh!... never even crossed my mind to try that..my mind has been so inside the box....thanks kim!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-28-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Tracy, a 50% tear is huge so be careful and make sure you're constantly doing your PT. Did your doctor advise you to just wait until it completely tears before surgery? I've heard doctors suggest that before.

I use the video program that came with my camera (panasonic). Did your camera come with one?

We just got back from a weekend camping/wakeboarding trip. I posted some pics/video's on my gallery at wakepics. Check it out. My friend took some sweet shots with his nice camera so I'm waiting for him to send me some so I can post it.

Glad to hear the sacs have been working out. Can't wait to see you video's. Aloha
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-30-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
ryan, the dr never suggested surgery... but you have to remember that these are military dr. they recommend not only what's 'good' for you but most cost effective. i am really takin it easy i am a boat dd now...just takin people out...grabbin an easy pull every once in a while;o) i saw your pics!! you guys look like you had a blast!! i love seeing little rippers too!! how cool is that?! oh yes i received your card thank you very much! and delivered shawn's...keep the pics coming i really enjoy them and the videos. i will try to figure out my camera asap! and i try to update my wakepics too!
aloha
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-31-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Tracy,
What's your link to your gallery a wakepics?

Thanks again for delivering the card to Shawn.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-31-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
no worries!
my link is ... http://www.wakepics.com/member/Trinh
nothing exciting..just silly kine haha photos and the video clip you took of me on allen's boat.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-31-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Tracy, those pics were awesome, especially the mooning ones!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2007, 1:28 AM Reply   
hahahaaa! i nearly died when i saw leah's lil booty! i had no idea she was in on it too!! crazy kid
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Just learn these basics first they all relate to getting a foundation for everything else....alot of tricks........you want to first get real good at popping of and or good ollie of one wake jumps....staying on edge all the way up the wake ....standing tall up the wake to harness the pop and keep the handle down.....then once you have got that down start out with a shorter length rope.....but not too short to where the wake is white washed or not good for pop....it depends alot on your boats wake and weight you have.....maybe like 65ft or so......start be seeing if you can come close to clearing wake to wake by only cutting 5 or 6 ft. outside the wake then turning back in to hit your jump......then if your technique is good you are edging right and poping right you can see where you are landing and see if you need to edge harder and or speed up the boat a bit to clear both wakes.....usually it is combo of both needed.....make sure you are not flattening out right at the wake and gliding across ...this will give you less tension on the rope and less pop and distance / Speed should start at around 18-20mph with one wake jumps then 22-24 with wake to wake jumps...........I hope this will help......hopefully you are getting some good water to ride on as well that helps too.... T.
***Watching Higher Learning DVD helps alot too...great for Learning all tricks and basics****