Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey everyone....just bought my first boat (a 2000 Mastercraft X-5) and I need some weighting advice. I'm very aware that it's not an X-Star or Super Air or any other similar monster wake producing boat, but I only had $20k to spend on a tow boat with a tower...and I was able to snag this one within my budget. Any help anyone could give me on weighting this thing (all water, no lead since I'll be trailering it) would be greatly appreciated. Best scheme I've come up off the top of my head is 600lb Skylon locker sac (ordered off of wakeside.com) in the rear locker, 400lb sac under the back bench that I already have, 600lb Fat Sac in front of the motor box (boat came with it), and then three 85lb Launch Pad blocks in the bow (equals 255lbs total - also ordered off of wakeside.com) for an Overall Ballast weight of 1855lbs.

This is the best I could come up with as far as trying to leave enough room in the boat for a few riders and without resorting to lead. I've also heard that since its a small boat (at only 19' 8"), it will not need as much weight to sit it deeper in the water.

I plan to go riding sometime in the next 2-3 weeks with a wetsuit to try out the new boat and any headstart on a weighting scheme would be beneficial.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Old     (mike_d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-01-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Andrew, Hey that boat will through an awsome wake my parents use to have one back in 2000 I was running 3 full size sacks in the back of the boat(one on each side of the engine and one in place of the back seat) and 1 small sack in the bow it worked out well. It was just as big as anything else.
Old     (themann39)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have this same boat and we run a side sac on each side of the engine cover and a tube sac under the back seat. That way we are still able to use the back seat because we normally go out with about 8 people in the boat. Congrats on the new boat.
Old    linus8103            03-01-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
I had a prostar 190 with a tower wich is pretty much the same boat you have. Start with 900lbs in the back and about 500lbs up front. If your boat is getting out of the hole good, and you are use to driving with that much weight then increase it a little more. These boats are a little sketchy with 1800lbs of weight. I put 1800lbs in mine and the boat was almost under water. Be careful...
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-02-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the feedback...this is great info...especially Kris's caution about 1800lbs almost putting the boat under water...definitely need to remember that one!!

If I end up running somewhere around 1500-1700lbs worth the ballast, is there a good chance I'm going to have to change out the prop for a better hole shot and to hold a constant riding speed?? I have the standard 310HP 5.7L Indmar V8 with a 1:1 trans ratio? Also I read someone talking about reversing the direction of their prop from the factory Left Hand rotation to a Right Hand rotation for more lip on the wake...someone said that the Correct Crafts were set up this way from the factory...any truth at all in this prop rotation reversal manuever to achieve a better shaped wake or is this just BS??

I figure that any somewhat easy tricks to altering the boat for a better wake is worth looking into.
Old    linus8103            03-02-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
My prostar only had 250hp and it got out of the hole just fine with a three blade prop. I would keep the prop you have, and dont worry about wich way it spins. Get perfect pass if you dont already have it. It can be tough to hold the speed in this boat when weighted. Have fun! Congrats! I just got a new boat and cant wait to go out also...(New to me that is)