Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
For those of you considering the PAC-LC1:

pic

I really didn't know how this was going to work exactly when I wired it up, but it works pretty well.

Here's what I did:
1. My HU has RCA running for front/rear - L/R speaker setup (4 speakers) to my main 4 channel amp.

2. I ran RCA cables from my main 4 channel amp RCA output to the LC-1 gain controller and from the LC1 into my 2 channel tower speaker AMP. Note: The LC-1 has all female RCA connectors. There are 4 connectors (2 input) / (2 output).

The output signal from my main amp is a full range signal for my rear speakers. I used the head unit fader to apply more to the rear, and less to the front speakers since the front speakers are just below the windshield.

I turned up the gain on my 2 channel tower speaker amp and control the volume of the tower speakers using the LC-1.

This is a good solution for those looking to either turn up or turn down their tower speakers. Note: The HU volume control obviously does have a large impact on the volume of the tower speakers overall because it controls the original signal that is pumped to the 2 channel tower speaker amp.
Old    sebastian            02-23-2005, 4:20 PM Reply   
I just did that, but for now I hooked up the boat speakers. Do you have any pic's?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-23-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
John,
is this the one you can take apart? to mount on dash or whatever? I've seen a couple of installs where the knob is mounted on the dash. looks cleaner than a wire hanging down or whatever. Not that you guys did that!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
John,

Like Nacho said, where did you put the lc1? I currently have mine sort of hanging out of the storage compartment where the amps are - it looks sort of cheesy.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
I've just got it laying on the floor right now to test it out. However, I did crack the box open and the actual pc board is very tiny. I will be installing it through a small hole on my dash board.

My boat's a real mess right now, so until everything is zip tied, put away, and cleaned up, I'm holding off on the pictures.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-23-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Mine's a disaster too. So, will you keep the box together when you mount it?
I want to put pics up, but right now its a disaster. I built a fat sac box in the back, installed two amps, tower speakers, sacs under seats in the bow, auto-ballast system. about 2/3 done...
Old    bigdeal            02-23-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hey John & nacho, here's what the two PAC's in my boat look like installed 'through' the dash. Can't imagine why anyone would deal with the ugly black box shroud that encloses the circuit board. One PAC controls the output to the tower speakers and the other one controls the output to the four in-boat speakers.

(Message edited by bigdeal on February 23, 2005)
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-23-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
1st pic shows volume controll for either tower or speaskers in boat. The second picture is base controll to 4-10's. The cool thing is when your chick is tired of you blasting tunes all day you can turn down the volume in boat but let your bro's hear tunes while they board.

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-24-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
My stereo system is being installed as we speak. CAN'T WAIT! I decided to have (3) LC-1's installed, for versatility. I will have one for the sub, one for the cabin MB's and one for the tower.

The only thing I don't like about my VLX is the stereo placement in the armrest, with the door over it. Just inconveinent. That is my main reason for the LC-1's.

Like the look of the ones in the dash of the Moomba. Very clean.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-24-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
I took it out of the box, wrapped the PC board really good in electrial tape, and mounted it through the dash. It looks really clean and works great.

The reason I had to take it out of the box was because I would not have been able to get the lock nut on the control knob shaft if I left the box on the main pc board.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-24-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Nice. Thanks John. Clean install on the moomba. I guess you'll have to add a subwoofer for that left knob?!
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-24-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
Nice install pics.
Have any of you listened to your setup with and without the LC-1's in place to tell whether they audibly add distortion or change the frequency response at high and low volume levels?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-24-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
I would like to install mine on the dash, but my amps are all located on the port side, so I would have to run RCA cables under the floor (or around the bow) to the dash and then all of the way back. I really like the look on that moomba - and I see a great spot on my dash for them.

I asked once before and think I never got a straight answer - does anyone know if running 25 feet of RCA cable would be a problem?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-24-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm running 17 foot RCA cables from my HU to the amps, a 17 foot cable back from my main amp to the LC1, and a 20 foot RCA cable back to my tower amp. I didn't notice any problems. I'm using the walmart 24 dollar amp wiring kit except for the 20 footer.
Old    bigdeal            02-24-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Nacho... If you notice in the first pic of my dash, there's a small hole in the left side. I installed the Bass control knob from my Class-D amp (powering my 12" Alpine Type R sub) through that hole. So, I got it covered! Just for kicks, I've also replaced the Kenwood headunit in the pic with a SONY MP80 unit, which I absolutely love.

FL Surflover.... I've had my system setup both with and without the PAC's installed, and I couldn't really hear any appreciable difference in sound quality. Maybe in a car environment it would make a difference, but I don't see it being a big deal in a boat.