Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    greg_mercer            01-31-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
I am thinking about getting this tower

http://bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm

I have a wellcraft excel boat and have been wakeboarding for about a year. I wanted to put a tower on my boat and need something cheap. I only have about $2200 to spend for a tower, speakers and a board rack.

Is this tower decent, anyone have it installed on their boat? Is there another tower I should look at for the under $1200 price range?

Thanks

Greg
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-31-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
We have the previous version of the Big Air tower on our Moomba and have nothing but good things to say about it. Although the alternative to that tower would be the Monster Tower, a great tower for the price, heck it'sa great tower period. I would suggest one of the two, and for the recored we had it installed on our Bayliner prior to removing it and mounting it on our Moomba when we bought the boat. Also, customer service was great from Big Air, I also hear that Monster has customer service second to none. Everyone here will probably say Monster Tower, and while they are correct with thier opinion, don't count out Big Air, great tower, greater price.
Old    greg_mercer            01-31-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
What makes me think that I want the Big Air is because I like the looks of it better and its cheaper.

Unless someone can tell me that this tower rattles a lot or is un sturdy I think I am going to go ahead and get it.

Daniel -

Did you get the powder coat or brushed aluminum?

Thanks!

Greg

Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-31-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I just bought a big air tower a couple weeks ago. Haven't put it on my boat yet, so I can't comment on how it performs. However, I have it assembled in a room, and I am very pleased with it. I can't imagine it being anything but great on the boat. A friend has one and he loves it. In addition, the folks at Big Air are very nice.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-01-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
Greg,

We went with the brushed aluminum and so far it as been 3 plus seasons with no rust/corrosion as one would expect with spending that kind of money. We had to remove the tower this past fall due to our new storage facility and after un-screwing the four foot beds(which was really easy) the tower just popped off and we have it stored in it's assembled shape. I do have to agree with the people at Big Air, the lady who answers the phones and fields the questions is very nice.....I just wish I could remember her name.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
i have no expreience with the tower however by looking at it, the foot beds as greenthumb called them look very flimsy. just wondering, how many riders have you guys got up with the tower?
im not saying this is a bad tower but i looked at it before and thought that it looked rather weak and flimsy.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-01-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Sam,

We ride 3 times a day on the weekends sometimes more with 4 -6 riders in the boat. We have pulled anyone from 110lbs - 220lbs with no issue whatsoever. I have only had to remove the tower this first time due to the storage and if I may say so, the footbeds were very heavy and very well built. The only complaint I do have is because it is a universal tower, the side spacers that join the two uprights together for extra support is held in place by a cotter pin. The cotter pin has a ring around the end of it that slaps up against the tower on rough runs...this can easily be fixed by placing a bolt through there and the slapping of the ring has been eliminated. I am not saying buy this tower, however for the price and the good craftmanship, I dont think you can buy a better tower for that price. Sure you could spend a little more and purchase a Monster Tower, and while I am not saying that Monster is any better/worse than the Big Air, the Big Air is the only tower I have ever purchased. I hope this somewhat helps.

Old    greg_mercer            02-01-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply's everyone!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-01-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Greg did you go with the Big Air or another tower? Just curious.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
I have had one for a few seasons and I really like it, I thought that the Monster (a great tower) wouldn't have looked right on my older boat. The tower mounts look very similar to the ones that I saw on another boat around that had a Monster on it. I even had somebody drive over the rope one time and bump the throttle which yanked on the tower pretty hard before the prop cut the rope (Things like this are why I do a whole lot more driving than riding). Mine has stood up well and the customer service, it did take a while to process my order, but I was one of the first ones to get the new style tower a few seasons ago, so they were still working out the kinks in manufacturing.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
ok just my thoughts on it, as i said i was not trying to disagree with anyone
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-01-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Sam, I never once thought that you were disagreeing with me, I only stated my thoughts based on what I know and that is the Big Air tower. Its all good, and it's nice to know what other people think.

Take care
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-01-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Don't listen to greenthumb. That guy knows squat!
Old    greg_mercer            02-01-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
I think I am going to go ahead and order the big air.

Thanks for everyones help.

Greg