Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
hey everyone,

I have an 04 X-star and want to switch to doing more surfing the wakeboarding after blowing my knee out again and tearing my shoulder up my body just can't take that much wakeboarding anymore. I am thinking about installing the 2010 mastercraft surf tabs on my boat but before doing that how should i weight the boat. i have the full PWT fly-high set-up to compliment my stock ballast system do i need to buy your fat sac's yet and how do i distribute the weight. just wondering who's surfing with X-star's and how there setting them up. Any and all advise is welcome. Thanks
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
A friend of mine at our lake has an 04 xstar as well that we surf behind quite a bit. We played around with it a lot last summer and you definately need a lot of weight. He had the center stock tank full, the back port side full with 2 450# sacs in the compartment, and I believe he even had the starboard side stock tank filled like half way and then we had about 8 people in the boat sitting on the port side. So it does take a lot of weight to get that big hull sunk down a little bit but when we did that the wake was the best ive been on. It was really big and went far back too so you didnt have to stay up really close to the boat.
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-24-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
sweet thanks bro and yeah i'm going to play around with lots of things this year to tweak it out and see what i can get it to shape up to. but thanks thats where i'll start and tweak things from there
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
you need a lot of wieght in the boat... period....

I run the factory ballast full (all tanks)

fill the fly high 750 in the port locker, 750 on floor (near rear seat), fly high port front sac filled...

Set PP for 10.9-11.2 mph long meaty pocket..
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-19-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
thanks guys,

I played around with it lots this last weekend and i tried exactly what you said greg and liked it but still wasn't as good as some other boats i've surfed so we are going to add atleast 1 or 2 more 750lbs sacs on the port side as soon as they come in and see what it looks like. i'll let you no plus i'll add some pic's soon its definitely surfable right now but i want better. lol
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
I am not knocking the XStar, but:

If I was going to spend most of my time surfing, I might think about getting a different boat. MC makes a great wakeboard wake, but not a very good wakesurf wake (unless it is the new X25 with deep hull). You nearly have to sink it and it still will not be nearly as good as some of the other brands wakesurf wakes. Especially when you think about what kind of boat you could trade your XStar for.

Just my $0.2.
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-19-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
agreed and i would love to trade in the x-star on an ezno but lets face it in todays enconomy the loss i'd have to take would be unreal and definitely not worth it. or trust me i'd be the proud owner of an Enzo. lol
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
I run back starboard side PWT 25% full, hard tank is obvisouly all the way full. Port back PWT 100%, nothing in the KGB. I do have 250lbs in sand crammed in the front of my boat tho. Then two 550's on the seats, one on the back seat and one on the port side shaped like an L. After playing around with the PWT and moving the 550's around this is what I liked best just my .02. Running with PP set at 11.2
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-28-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
thanks bro,

yeah i'm going to try another 750lbs and play around with its location but i think i'm going to try your setup next week and see how it looks. thanks
Old    star_star            05-01-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
travis moye posted a couple of years ago to fill all of the factory ballast then both fly-high bags on the port side then however much more you want to add on the port side just makes it bigger. the key is to sink the entire boat evenly first THEN tilt it over with a lot of weight on the port side. be sure ot add some extra weight to the port bow as the more weight you put up front the more it pushes the wave back from the transom. speed is around 11.2-11.4 on my xstar.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I'm def going to have to try what Travis suggests he would def know.