Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I've been looking to install a new system on my 2003 MC X2 for some time and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm not a "stereo guy" and I did email WS and get their advice. Just wanted to know if any of you more experienced stereo junkies had any input...thanks in advance!
Proposed products; all Wetsounds

2 pro80 tower speakers powered by syn2 amp (maybe one 485 instead?)

4 x XS650 speakers in existing 6.5 holes by syn4 amp

sub: xs-xxx by syn 1 amp

ws-420

Biggest questions I have is which deck to use, sub placement (seems usually under driver's side) and batteries.

All to be installed by my MC dealer.

Thanks!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-04-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Brian,

That sounds like it is going to be an awesome system. Thanks for the support of Wet Sounds.

I would stick with the pair of 80's on the SYN-2. It gives you some flexibility to add to it later by adding the single 485 to create the 3-Some or add a pair of 80's or pair of MB-8's etc...But going with pair over the single. Also, gives you the ability to slide them to the outside of the tower leaving headroom in the center where the single 485 would have to be right in the middle to look right being only one.

Everything else is right on in terms of amp and speaker combos.

As far as the sub. Usually the best option is under the drivers side as mentioned. If you can build the slot loaded box on our site. It provides the most output for the XXX but it is a bit bigger. So see what kind of room you have and then you can make the call on if you can fit the ported or go for the sealed.

Batteries. http://4xspower.com/

Take a look at the XS Power. They are a AGM battery and you can mount them any angle etc...

As for the radio. Alpine's new marine head units are really nice and now that they have the transom remotes. You can do a head and remotes. Also, the new Clarion CMD-6 is very nice as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim, that is very helpful, esp. the point about headroom. That will finalize my decision on that point.

I forgot to mention that WS service has been fabulous, as is often reported on the board.

And FYI, goal of system is more for partying, then riding...if that matters.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
If it's for partying more than riding I'd go for the 485 and not the 80's.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-04-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I have a pair of Pro 80's powered by a Syn-2 and they crank.
I also have three pair of XS-650's powered by a Syn-4 and they also crank.
I have an alpine CDA-9886M as recommended by tim and it is great.
All I need is to get the wife on board with a XXX sub and Syn-1.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-04-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Brian, Bruce Mac that is on here has a 2003 X2 and did a new stereo last year. I put an email into him letting him know about this thread. Hopefully he can help out. I believe he went with a set of Pro80's but I am not sure 100% what amps he is running. He ended up going with some POLK components and I almost think I remember him saying is had something to do with fitting in the stock holes or that he didn't want to worry about covering the tweeter holes from the stock components? I could be completely wrong though.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Nubu...why?
Carter, thanks...that is helpful, the alpines he mentioned look awesome too. I like the transom remote.
Right, I think the xxx sub is gonna be the clincher! Got rid of the wife, and the stripper gf is all for the sub!! lol
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-04-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
I would do the Pro80's just because of the look and being able to move them all the way to the outer parts of the tower.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Because the 485 sounds better in and around the boat. The 80's are painfull to listen to.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-04-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Brian,

It all looks good. I just have one thought. I'm assuming the boat has provisions for a single pair of coaxials in the bow and a single pair in the cockpit. The speakers in the bow on the opposite side of the windshield will make no contribution to the cockpit occupants. Also, I'm assuming by "4 x XS650 speakers...", you mean two pair. So I would look over the cockpit to see if you can find another location for a second pair of cockpit coaxials. You wouldn't need extra amplification with what you've specified.

The addition of another pair would go a long way in sound quality and having enough fullrange energy to compliment the sub. This addition would also help integrate the sub so its not so dominant and detached sounding.

I hope I've interpreted your situation correctly. If not, ignore the suggestion.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Nubu, thanks...I have heard that the 485 has more mid-range. But the pro80's sound "painful?" Maybe I will have to do some more thinking on this subject. What you are suggesting goes against Omar and Tim, see above, at WS.

David, good point. The front 6.5's do point to the cockpit, but you may be right that they will not have a lot of contribution. Seems as though this is something I can add easily later. I will keep this in mind. Thanks.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-04-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
I agree with David, you will need four boat speakers behind the windshield. Otherwise that XXX will drowned everything out. Personally, I would buy 3 pair of the Polk boat speakers (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/749569.html?1259952535) for $35/pair. I would take the money you save and put a 3-some on the tower. I run the Polks along with WS 60s and XXX in my boat and they sound great. Also, the Alpine deck/remote is great. Here is what I have:

WS Pro 60 (4)
WS XS-XXX
WS Syn 1 (running sub)
WS Syn 4 (running boat speakers)
WS Syn 2 (running tower speakers)
WS-420
Polk Audio Boat Speakers (6)
Alpine iDA-X100M HU
Alpine MC10 Wireless Remote
Sirius
Stinger 1500 Batteries (2)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-04-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Brian,

The Pro80s, are a little strident as are all HLCDs to some degree. Perhaps no HLCD sounds as linear as the Pro485s. But I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this since you'll have separate equalization for the tower so you can tailor them to your own preference.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Hmmm...I actually have two pairs of the polks in my boat now...frankly they did not last that long, definetely less then two years of not a ton of use and no amp, just running off my crappy deck.

But I am hearing what you are saying, maybe I'll put all the 4 WS's in the cockpit, and upgrade the bow ones later. After all, I sit in the cockpit, not the bow.

I guess the 3-some would be optimal, but I think overkill for me, as I am more focused on the partying/sandbar/rafting as opposed to rider enjoyment.

Money is not a huge concern, this is a gift to myself that I've wanted for a long time, but also I do believe in diminishing returns on my investment.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
LOL, David, you LOST me! Are you saying not to worry too much about the pro80 v. 485 argument b/c my 420 will give me the ability to fine tune tower and boat speakers independently?
Old    falcon_v            12-04-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Not trying to take over the thread but I thought I was going with two pro 485 will they be good for wakeboarding or should I go with the 80s and a 485 I have plenty of room on the tower for anything just confused now.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Falcon, you hijacker! lol, j/k. The way I understand it you should go with the "3some," that's 2 80's and the 485. But I don't currently own either!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Brian Tim's post also came before your goal was more for partying than boarding. I've been to many a party at sand bars, the boats rocking wetsounds 485's sounded way way better and appealing than the guys running 2 and even 3 sets of the 80's. Just my opinion and listening taste. If you wanted to run two sets of the 80's I'd say get one set of pro 80's and a set of mb8's.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
hey guys

brian i have the same boat, same year, etc.

tim and his guys helped me out a lot last winter. great bunch of guys over there and no regrets other than wishing i had more space. :-)

my setup is slightly different than the direction you're headed, but i can tell you what i did and if you have questions just let me know.

i'm using a SYN6 channels 1/2 and 3/4 bridged to a pair of Pro 80s (200W each) and then 5&6 bridged mono to a 10in Image Dynamics IDQ-V3 sub under the dash (600W).

i had really wanted to upgrade the ID sub to a XXX and a SYN1, but after looking at the box requirements, there's just no way it was going to fit under my dash and i didn't feel comfortable venting my storage on the observer side. to do it right with the XXX the ported box size is pretty big, i can't remember off the top of my head, but i yanked out my ID, measured and there was just no way even with relocating MDC, perfect pass, etc. if you do NOT have a heater, you may have a bit more room than i do. as it stands now, my ID box sticks out a few inches from the bottom of the walkthrough gel. plenty of room for my feet still though and imo it still looks good.

i'm running the SYN4 125Wx4@4Ohms for my Polk MM6501 inboats. i really struggled with which way to go for the inboats for a couple reasons. with the XS650's you have to enlarge the cut-outs on our boat. that by itself is no big deal, but i'm assuming you have/had the 6.5in stock clarion components, right? well, what i wasn't comfortable with was either having a deralict mis-matched tweeter sitting next to my XS650, or having to deal with finding a way to cover that hole. the other thing you're going to want to look into is mounting depth. no problem in the cabin, but it could be an issue up in the bow. i think Tim might have a shallow depth version now though so just make sure you're good. again, i just didn't want to deal with the tweeter and the polks fit very nice and sound great in front of that SYN4. i was even able to use the same tweeter mounting cups for the polk tweets. i dunno, i'm biased, but i think they look great. they definitely sound great.

420 has been great. a 2-zone is a must. if you can spring for it, add volume control. it gets old trying to adjust the volume up and down when riders fall and get up, mainly because the knobs are small it's like playing operation.

can't really help on the deck. i'm using the clarion M475 so i can use my stock remotes. it's been good to me so far, but obviously there are better.

as for batteries, i'm not the right guy to ask. i'm still using optimas mainly because i had 2 to start with in this boat. i'm using 3 now (2 dedicated to stereo). when it comes time to replace them, i'll look at the Deka AGM's through Brett. invest in a good battery charger, you'll need it. :-)Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Heard you the first time Bruce .
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
ugh, fugging image upload bs on this site sleighs me....
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
hey brian, one more thing, if you put your amp rack on the outside port wall, make 100% sure the vent next to the tower leg is SEALED and that you have no holes in the venting down to the floor. a hard rain or a slammed boat and it will leak for certain.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
whassup nubu. this weather is killing me.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-04-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
I know when I replaced the stock Clarion speakers with the Wetsounds, I needed to make the hole larger, so it is not a direct swap, even though both are 6.5 inch speakers. If you are trying to avoid cutting glass, then go with the polks.

Some complained that the pro 80's are bright and painful to listen to, but I have heard (literally) that when they are properly tuned and powered (lots of power), then that is not an issue. They sound very well rounded.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Bruce I know getting old already, I just accepted the fact it wasn't summer anymore.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Bruce, fabulous...very helpful.
Sub. I don't have a heater, so I will have to measure this up and see if the xxx enclosure will fit I guess before purchasing. When Omar suggested it, I assumed it would fit.

6.5's. Didn't realize I would need to make my holes bigger, but I actually don't have the tweeters, so I guess not an issue.

I'm just going with the amps/bridging, etc. recommended by WS.

How do you like the 80's by themselves? Obviously everyone is going back and forth on 80's v. 485.

Darn, your boat is super clean. Sweet.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
if you don't have seperates for your inboats you're golden. you'll just have to enlarge the cut-outs. just make sure you have proper mounting depth up front in the bow as i don't think the original XS650 will fit without a spacer. like i said, i think Tim may have a shallow mount version now.

i'm really happy with the Pro 80's, but i had heard them and knew what i was getting into. as mentioned above, all HLCD speakers tend to be on the brighter side, but it's inherent in their design and frankly they're designed to do one thing, project and reach the rider. oh wait, that's two things. :-)

a pair of MB8's makes sense for in and around the boat, but it gets a little more complicated amping them because ideally you want them on seperate crossovers/gain settings than the 80's if i remember right.

from an aesthetics perspective, i would never hang a single 485 on our tower and not sure there's enough room for two. if i were to do it again, i might have taken a closer look at the double-up and then upgraded the pro60 mounts.

it's very hard to explain in words, at least for me, without having you listen. i really think though that it comes down to planning, installing correctly and having it tuned properly. i spent a LONG time tuning mine and still may end up paying a pro to have a listen it.

all in all though, if you're up front and clear with grover about what it is you're trying to do, your budget and you have someone who can help you correctly install and tune the stuff, you'll be happy.

one thing i'd say on the sub is that it's as critical as every other piece. it has to be done right, or you'll be very disappointed. when i say done right, i don't necessarily mean spending a ton of cash, i mean box to spec, mounted correctly, etc. i wish i had the room for the XXX. maybe next boat. anything less than 500-600W and i think you'd really be disappointed.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-04-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Brian,

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that WetSounds made a running change on the XS650's basket so its now a drop-in.

As for the tower speakers, set your priorities and check in again with the guys at WetSounds. They may very well recommend a variation with a little more information from you.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Bruce and David, thanks a lot for your input. Regards the sub, I'm gonna run the WS suggested syn1; 1000RMS I think. I have a good buddy who is a cabinet maker so the enclosure should be no sweat, assuming it fits.

I'm gonna do 4 WS650's in the cockpit, and not worry about the bow for now anyways. Just keep my Polks in the bow for now. I'll double check on the holes.

I think I'll start with the 2 80's, I can always upgrade later. Right, a single 485 would be kinda ugly.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
that xxx will pound if done properly. good luck and post up when you get it done
Old    falcon_v            12-04-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
My question still is will 2 485 sound loud enough to board
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-04-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
^^^ FalconV, A pair of Pro485's powered by a Syn4 is crazy loud!
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
not to hyjack the thread.....I'm currently running four pro 80's off of a syn 2 and love it. I'm wanting to add a 485 off of another syn 2! Would this be overkill?

Chris

Brian, you will be amazed by the WS sound!
Old    falcon_v            12-04-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thank you tigemike that is my route sorry for the hijack.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-04-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
I am on my second and last set of Polk speakers. Polk crosses the tweeters too low and they blow up easily. The XS650's get good reviews but the grills don't really match my setup. I might consider the JL 770's but they have fugly grills and are waay overpriced. Might consider something from Infinity but I will need to add another amp if they are less than 4ohms. I have had good luck with Infinity in the past.

My buddy runs a single 485, it does quite well but I am not a huge fan of the appearance of a single 485. It might lood good if you can hang some lights or something on the sides to fill out the tower. The Pro 80's can definitely get harsh if you crank up the high frequencies. This is common when you have one EQ to run the boat and tower. As David mentioned you can solve the issue with a WS420 or dual Clarion EQS 746's. If you run dual 746's and use them to control the volume it's a PITA.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-05-2009, 3:49 AM Reply   
Here's an enclosure we built from Hydrotunes' specs for a XXX. You can't go wrong with the XXX/Syn1 combo.

Upload
Upload
Old                12-05-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Whatever setup you choose with Wetsounds will be spectacular.

I am running 4 pro 80's w/ an arc audio ks 300.2 and could not be happier. Also have 2 sets of xs 650's off an arc audio ks 300.4 and a jl 12w6v2 on an arc audio ks 500.1

On top of that is an Audiocontrol Matrix line driver and an alpine cda-9886. 4 optima blue tops!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-05-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Brian, I ran a wetsounds 3-some with a dedicated syn 6 amp on the tower of my boat before I sold it. It was freakin loud!!! However, I didn't care for the sound. I couldn't get enough mid-bass out of the setup, but, I was not running a WS-420 and I am not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to stereo equipment. I had no direct control over the EQ of the 3-some. I do know what I like to hear and want to hear and I just couldn't get it dialed. If I did another system I would most likely go with the double up for more mids and something where I could control the EQ at the helm.

One of the things I've learned on this board is that Tim White and Wetsounds will do anything possible to get you the best setup within your budget. Although currently I'm enjoying no tower speakers on my new boat.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-05-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
John,
Thanks, those pics will be most helpful when I build my enclosure. I did have one question on the enclosure though...the enclosure dimensions in the online Users Manual vs. the hydrotunes specs are different, by several inches. Which is better? Probably a better question for WS directly.

Amo, thanks for that input. Looks like I'll start with 2 80's, and then I can upgrade/add the MB-8's later if necessary, or even 485. Plus I will have the 420. I think I will be covered with this plan.

YES...WS has been fabulous, both Tim here and emailing WS direct. And of course, the board is very helpful. I have not been around for awhile, but used to be a regular.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-05-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
That probably is a good question for Tim or Gyver. I've got 2 of these combo's in my Supra, and have installed several others in other boats. They've all been pretty amazing.
Old    marknoah            12-05-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I would also recommend the double up since you said the goal of the system is for partying. I have it on my boat and have been very happy with it and think it provides a nice balanced sound with the addition of the MB8's.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-05-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Lots of good info here, the one thing I noticed was that you said you were going to have the MC dealer install. Nothing against MC or any other dealer, but you do not want to do that. Make sure you take it to reputable BOAT stereo shop. I promise you that step is more important than any of the equipment you are considering. Good luck and don't forget to post the install pics when it's done.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-05-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
8tens, I'm totally hearing you. The problem with that though is that down here in So. FL, for some reason, nobody really has kickin' stereos like you guys seem to in Cali, TX, Meade, Havasu, etc. It just isn't really done. I've NEVER seen WS anywhere around here. People just don't "trick" their boats out.

Then there is the issue of buying the product myself and having someone else install. Don't shops usually want to sell the produce too?

I guess I'll look into this more.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-05-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
hey mikeski just curious, what you drive your polks with? are they the coaxials or the component set? i know they're the mm series, just curious which ones you had. i've had zero problems with mine and i crank 'em. hope you're enjoying the holidays with the new little one.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-05-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
Plenty of people trick out their center console fishing boats, yachts, etc. around here so I am sure that marine audio services exist...but the prices are likely inflated since they mainly work on much larger boats.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-05-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
Check with Tim, he may be able to recommend someone in your area. Most import step IMHO
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-05-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Good information if the newer wetsounds 650's have a standard drop in size. I had to drill the holes out bigger about 3 years ago, so they may have modified it since then. It sure would not seem to be difficult to do. My old speakers were 6.5 inch as well. I always thought they did that so I could not replace them with anything else when those were old. Seemed like a sweet way to preserve market share.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-05-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I don't think the 650's changed.... They've released a cheaper version of the XS-650, which is called the SS-65. I've got a few in stock ready to install in a customers boat so I don't know yet if they have the same footprint as the 650's. They do look exactly the same though.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SS-65.html
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-05-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Wow, Great info. Thanks. It is nice to see a post like this!

Here is some updates and answers

The box John shows is not the hydrotunes box but the ported box design I did for the manual. In the manual we did a sealed and ported box. Using this triangle port design was an easy way to get customers to go ahead and build a ported box since it is easy to do and not crazy big. So both the enclosures in the manual are both a combo of easy to build and great all around performance.

Now the Hydrotunes box is one that I worked out with the guys from Hydrotunes to be the end all best SPL if there was enough room. This was the one we built for the RZ4 demo boat.

So if you have the room, the slot loaded spl hydrotunes box is the best. But it is BIG. If you do not have to room. The triangle port John shows is the best. The XXX will play in a sealed but really likes the ported.

The XS-650 HAVE changed to a new frame. Just started shipping. The new frame is a standard 5 inch cut out. So the XS-650 will be a drop in. No more cutting.

We also have two versions. A XS-650-S for silver cone. And XS-650-B for black cone. So we offer both cone colors. We felt the black cones work better in the tower cans. So the XST-650 tower speakers use the black cone versions.

The SS-65 shares this same frame. So it too is a drop in. The SS-65 shares the same frame and grille but with a smaller magnet and mylar tweeter vs. the titanium tweeter in the XS-650. It shares the same rubber spider and thermoformed rubber surround as in the XS-650.

The SS-65 has a black cone. We only plan on doing the black right now.

All of these are shipping but have not had a chance to update our site. We are moving into a new facility so been working on getting everything packed up.

Also, we have new in boat speakers that will be done in about 8 weeks. Already done with tooling on it. It is a closed off marine style grille. We are offering this in white and black. I will put some pics up when I can. But think of it is a slotted marine grille with some wet sounds flare to it. White for those who want white and fishing boats etc...black for ATV's and jeeps etc...There will be a XS-650 version with this grille in black or white and a SS-65 version with this grille in black or white.

Lot's of other crazy stuff too but all i can share for now!!

Brain, shoot a call to Omar or Justin and tell them where you are at. They can see who we have close to you.

There may be some questions I missed so if so, please re post them and I will try to get to them.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
Anybody with suggestions for me??? If not no big deal, guess I just jumped on board with a question somewhat off topic! Four pro 80's and one 485 overkill?
Chris
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-05-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Tim,

Are you going to still sell the original XS-650's to those of us that may have to replace them. If not how do we get around the larger cut outs?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-06-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
Tim I'd swear that the sheet for my box and the other's we've built has Hydrotunes stamped on it, but I'll check again....

This triangle ported box that we built for my Supra was small enough to get under the helm, and up on the shelf in my Supra, and no loss of any legroom.

Here's a few more XXX's installed:

Upload
Upload
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-06-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Chris,

I say that overkill is in the eye of the beholder. Take a look on our site under gallery and you will see some insane systems. 4 PRO 485's, pair of 485's with 3 pairs of 80's, 5 pairs of 80's, 3-Some with 3 pairs of 60's etc...

So no worries. If you want it. Go for it!

Carter, the only thing that changed was the frame cut out. The grill is still the same. So the mounting holes are exact. So the new one will mount in the same larger hole with no issues at all.

John, great looking installs. You need to e mail me some more pics so I can add them to the site! The only hydrotunes box is the slot loaded. If you click enclosures on the XXX page. It opens a pdf of the slot loaded with multiple angles of the same box. The sealed and triangle are available when you download or look in the user manual.

Tim
Wet Sounds

(Message edited by wetsounds1 on December 06, 2009)
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-06-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim. I've meant to send you guys our pics but just never have. I've got a Centurion waiting on the install from our last order that I'm about to start on next week and I'll have some pics of it soon.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-06-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Tim,

Thanks, I've been contemplating adding the 485 for a long time now.....looks like I'm going to pull the trigger. John, what part of Ky are you from?

Chris
Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       12-06-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Is this overkill...lol

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-06-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
No that's retarded.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-07-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
Tim,
Have you ever tried building a horn port or transmision line box for the xxx?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-07-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
Daniel, no i haven't. I did some transmission lines boxes in the past with really good results on the home audio side. But they are pretty complex for a boat system. I was going to do two push-pull box for 2 xxx each in the new boat but just have not had the time to really design it out! So looks like just 2 xxx in the slot loaded boxes.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-07-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Tim,

I am so glad to hear that the xs650's are a drop in now. I really wanted them but not at the expense of the vinyl work it would have taken in my boat. When do you think that you might get the site updated with pictures??????
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-07-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
^^^Hey Tim how much power are you going to be giving your XXX in the new demo boat?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-07-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Brad. Not sure when we are going to get the site updated but the speaker looks the same except the new frame. The nee frame is more straight versus the old one tapering out.

Nubu, Plan is we are going to be running a syn-1 per xxx. So 1000 watts each. Dual xxx in slot loaded boxes. One under drivers side and one under passenger side. We are making a vent out of the trash can door in the walkway as well

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-07-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
daniel,

I have four 8-foot folded transmission lines in my home. They're huge!!! In my opinion, they're the most neutral and deep bass I've heard. But they're not more efficient than acoustic suspension so there's no real benefit in a boat. Did I mention they're huge?

Whether you're running a horn-loaded sub or port you're looking at a very complex and enormous box in the context of bass-reflex. Plus, the alignment would be undermined if the sub driver and port aren't relatively removed from boundaries which would be difficult in most boat locations.

A push-pull set-up has benefits but only the efficiency of a single driver so it wouldn't fit the application of a boat's open field environment. While it doesn't seem revolutionary its tough to beat the old slot-loaded box.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-07-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
2 hours from you in Paducah. I actually have a customer from your area with a Centurion. He has the XXX shown in one of the pics above. If you know of the boat you should check it out sometime....

(Message edited by jonyb on December 07, 2009)
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-07-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
May I also add that the 650's I've installed so far measured less than 4 ohms. I say this because if you're going to power 4 speakers from 2 channels, it'll be a less than 2 ohm load on the amp, and most amps won't play that low. I've got a customer that cheaped out on amps, now we've had to disconnect 1 pair of speakers until he can upgrade his amps.
Old    cmoroy            12-14-2009, 3:41 AM Reply   
Jonyb... could you email me the dimensions of that box? I am looking for something to go under the drivers console of my '04 VLX and i'm hoping that will fit the bill.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-14-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
I'll measure it next time I'm out in the shop.... Or maybe Tim would have them.

Here's a link for the vented enclosure that Tim speaks of: http://www.wetsounds.com/media/products/XS-XXX/WS-XXX_Vented_Enclosure.pdf
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-14-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Chase,

The Triangle port box and a sealed box are here http://www.wetsounds.com/media/products/XS-XXX/Manual%20Wet%20Sounds%20XS-XXX.pdf

The slot loaded box is the link John has. So that should give you 3 options in terms of sizes to check out.

If they do not fit, hit me up with your dimensions and i can design one for you.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-14-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
i was trying to open up that manual but our computers are on strike today.
Old     (madboater2)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
Does anyone one know of a good audio installer for Wet Sounds within driving distance of Nashville, TN?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-16-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
I'm 2 hours north of you in KY, Gene.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-17-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Gene,

If John can't get you hooked up. You can call the office and ask for Justin or Omar. They can help find a dealer near you. 877-938-7757

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-17-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
I'll actually be in the Nashville area over the weekend....
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-23-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
UPDATE:
Ok, got it all installed:
1 pair pro-80's on tower powered by syn2
2 pair 650's in cockpit, plus 1 pair in bow by syn4
xxx sub by syn1
ws420
alpine deck

The 650's need a spacer to fit in the bow of the 2003 X2 (205v hull).

The triangle ported sub in the owner's manual for the xxx sub fits very well under the driver's side after removing the "kick" plate and doing some simple rearranging of hoses, wires. I don't have a heater.

Sound: The 650's really crank, I am very impressed. The sound "in boat" is absolutely incredible, it is loud and clear and deep above tolerable levels, IMO. Outside the boat with just the 2 pro80's I have not tested it much, but will say that the cops came to my house already due to neighbor complaints, and my neighbor about 2 houses up and across my canal said it is so loud on his dock that it sounds like he is in my boat, and he can hear it very well in his bedroom too. Nevertheless, I am taking the boat in tomorrow again to have installed a 485 powered by syn2 for 700x1. NOW it's gonna be loud! lol

Tim and Omar and Ws have been fabulous through inumerable emails and calls. My dealer, SouthFlorida Mastercraft did the installation, etc. and they are also of course, awesome.

Oh, as for everyone's fav questions: I have one starter battery and two deka 31's for the stereo, onboard charger, switch, and some sort of VCR thingy. I don't really understand all that and have not tested that much either. Stock alternator.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Thats awesome, Congrats... I sure hope I can get mine ready in the next 2 weeks or so... The water is warming up quite nicely...

Maybe next time you can convince those cops to put some pro-80s in place of there standard PA in their cars...
Old     (oteh131)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-01-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
I have a 2009 super Air Nautique 220 with 2 Wet sound Pro 80s and 2 sets of pro 485s on the tower.. mY problem is I mounted the speakers on top of the tower because i simply got tired of ducking under the tower speakers every time I got in the boat. Now they wont stay up. they seem to slip and end up facing downward and the hardware is tightened all the way.. I spoke with a wet sound rep and he suggested new mounting brackets which are $150 /set.. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and is there a less expensive fix to the problem? Maybe grip tape or something!!! IDK?!?!? please advise
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-02-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Bruce I mounted mine on top of the tower and they don't move at all maybe try one size smaller inserts?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-02-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Back in the day i used some thin rubber, from a conveyor belt, to "shim" my mounting brackets. I cut it just a bit smaller than my brackets so it wouldn't hang out. It didn't look totally professional but it did the job.
I work at a machine shop and from time to time we get people who want shims such as this made. We specialize in large machine work so this is a little out of our norm so it costs a bit but it is doable.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
With that many speakers on the tower does the weight of the speakers have any impact on the tower?
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Bruce, this sounds arcane but here's what I did to resolve simular issue of the speakers moving, First I used the "rubber shimmy" idea, and put a few peices of rubber aound the tower -- then I wrapped a layer of electrical tape around my tower, exposing some of the rubber peices, then used grip tape and held it in place with the electrical tape. Afterwards tightened the hell out of them. My speakers havent moved in two years since I did this...