Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (mopardudes)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-08-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Okay so here's the deal. I am going to build a winch for times when I can't get out on the lake with my boat. After looking at all the stuff I need it looks like 5 or 6 hundred to build which is just fine but then I had an idea. I was at tractor supply and they 3 or 4 mini dirt bikes with the same motor I had planned on using. Can I just buy one of those dirt bikes and remove the rear tire as the spool? It seems to be the same concept. Brakes, speed regulator and everything else needed already in one package. I would of course mount a hitch to the front for my truck but besides that it seems to look like it will work. Any comments would be great, thanks.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
I don't know if you'd be able to make a spool big enough to get enough rope to make it worth it. Get the specs, build a spool, and try it out. If it doesn't, put the og tire back on and take it back.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
ya you can. ive seen pics and videos of people doing it. the only thing is you would have to make a guide for the rope. otherwise while cutting it would cause the rope to come off the rim.
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-08-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
dir bikes are air cooled so be careful of that and you should be fine
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
dir bikes are air cooled so be careful of that and you should be fine

----

not all of them

i have 4 in my garage and all 4 have a radiator
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-08-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yeah majority are liquid cooled, but Ive also wanted to do this with our pit bike because I dont have the doe to build one or buy one
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
You could always go this route
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ag0ybqYU0U
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-09-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
The Reaper

Upload
Upload
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-10-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
I've got an old ATC350 four stroke. I had the same thought.
Its got everything needed already in place except the spool that could be mounted on the axel and obviously the rims would need to be removed. Weld a trailed hitch on and pull it behind the truck on the front tire.

Hmmm project!!!