Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old    lakeman            12-06-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Both boats are 2007. I have checked both boats out. I like the Graphics on the MB B52-23v. I also do not have anything bad to say about malibu. I can get the MB B52-23v fully loaded with the Zr-6 Motor out the door for 55k. The malibu is going to cost me more. Does anyone have any input on these two boats? Which boat has better quality construction? Which boat will put out a better wake? Better Re-sale value ect

(Message edited by lakeman on December 06, 2006)
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I think the nod goes to Malibu without question.
Old    kvanderg            12-06-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Uh... oh... here it goes
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-06-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
MAlibu with out a question.....Pretty sure on that i see
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-06-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Malibu without a question!!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-06-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
I am really starting to get annoyed at all the recent "witch boat should i get". So i dont know why i click on them.

Come on someone is just posting this to cause alittle drama. Right?
Go demo them and you tell us!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
.........Pat, there is no right answer on this. EVERYTHING said will be personal preference. It will be stated as fact, but that does not make it so.

The best wake boat can no longer be purchase new....so you are sort of left with second best and these are not bad options.
Old    lakeman            12-06-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
HAs anyone had problems with the tower on the MB breaking? I hear the fac wont warranty the tower if you have speakers on tower?
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-06-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Both are great boats. The bu would have been my second choice.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-06-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Pat.. It is deffinatly an extreamly wobbly tower. Malibu's towers are sturdy as hell.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-06-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Personal I think you can't go wrong with MB. Not because I just bought one either.

You said you checked both of them out did you test drive?

When I was looking I looked at a bunch and decide on MB because I felt it was a very well built boat and many other things.

Not sure where you are located but I bought mine from Alan at Southern Ski Boats in Colonial Heights, VA. They have been great to deal with so far and that was a factor in my decision also.

I'm not knocking BU but just look at both boats from the ground up. Somethings mean more to others so make sure it has what you want.

You will be paying for it so make sure its what you want.

Something that I think is a great idea when buying a boat or any thing I guess is to look at the Boats (in this case) as if you didn't know who made them and just compare them that way and not let millions of dollars in advertising effect your decision.

I know this is easier said than done but it helps when purchasing a big ticket item.

and as far as annoying threads don't read them if you don't like them. Most of them may give people great info.

they get most people to respond anyway and provide some interesting reading.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-06-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
Buy the Malibu, in the long run you will be happier. Better resale and much better wake. I have ridden behind both and I bought the malibu. This is just my experience and opinion---it's your money , buy the boat you want.....I did!
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-06-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
If you really look at how the boats are put together you will see a huge difference in build. The MB takes the "less is more approach" but the fit and finish is better than any thing else. As far as the tower goes, I didn't go w/ the pro tower because it was a pain to put down and ugly
as well as not being that sturdy. I had them install the classic tower witch is much more attractive and sturdy. The bu is a nice boat no question. I would still take an MB.....and I did.
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-06-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
"better resale value"? bu's are a dime a dozen.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       12-06-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
bottom line.. this board is flooded with owners who will tell you that their boat is the best one... this is not the place to ask people which boat to buy.. demo them both and make your decision, dont buy a name because a bunch of people own them.. get which one works best for you
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-06-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
I don't own either boats, but I ride behind both a lot during the summer. I will tell you my take on both boats.

VLX - My friend's VLX is a 2005 model. It does not have a power wedge, but does have the 4 tank MLS system which includes the bow ballast. The boat is large inside but does not drive like a yacht. The build quality is very solid and the boat has a very very good quality interior. The wake is outstanding and it is an easy to use system. The down side to this boat is that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

V-23 Team - my buddies V-23 is a 2006 model. This boat is bigger outside but the interior feels about the same size as the VLX. The boat is very deep however and stays very dry. The quality of the materials used seems first rate. Very durable interior materials. His boat has had some pretty major issues since it was bought, but this could be attributed to just a bad boat. The wake is really incredible when the boat is weighted right....the only down side, is that it does take some time to dial the wake in. If you take four people on one day and the next you take seven, you will have to spend some time dialing in the proper amount of weight, but once you have it I think it is one of the best out there.

Hope that helps,
Mike
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-06-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
23' MB team passes up the VLX wake by far, stock that is, weighted, the MB, it gets even better for the MB. MB warranty is better, just make sure you have a good dealer, who might that be? Although you are comparing a 23' to a 21.5' which is not easy.

I have ridden behind both. The VLX was fully weighted, and the MB was stock. The MB was better as far as wake is concerned.

Resale Bu is better probably. But if you plan of keeping it, that will not matter.

MB all the way.

Take out an MB and fill the stock 2500 lbs ballast then add 600's in the rear lockers, and the add a 600 sac in the bow, and tell me if its a better wake than same sacked out VLX, I'd really be interested to your opinion. Although I know what the answer is.

Unless you wanted to compare a CC 236 with added ballast, then of course you may be talking another 20K?

Demo them and sac them out on top of the factory ballast of course

Why wouldn't you?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-06-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Its your money and your decision. Drive both and ride behind both. Open everything and crawl in and look around. you can see a lot of how it's built just by looking beyond what they want you to see on the outside. Check the warranty coverage on both. Go with your gut not what your friends thank.
My 2 cents Malibu but I own one and love it
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-06-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
mb all the way. just cuz every on here says bu, and bu's are EVERYWHERE!!! i think both boats have great resale, they are both incredibly well built, and the mb is flashier. I bought an enzo over a bu just cuz everyone and their dog has one.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-07-2006, 3:56 AM Reply   
Hey Cl...which one did you get from Alan? I bought Alan's demo boat, the black & blue B52 V23 TE, back in Sept. Are you the one w/ the Cobe colors? If so, I saw you on Lake Anna back in Oct.

Anyway, any reason you have eliminated other manufacturers? Supra has a new 22SSV (about 50K loaded), CC has the new SAN 210 (which everyone seems to hate, but maybe you won't), X-2 seems to get a lot of good things said about it.

I have a B52 V23, and I love it. But don't get locked in to only 2 manufacturers. Check 'em all out. Check out the dealer. Check out other sites. You are spending 50K+, make certain its what you want!
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Dan - No that wasn't me, I had to order mine and it is actually being born next week and should get it near the end of dec.

I also got the B52 V23 with the puzzle graphics.

Lake Anna is the lake I boat on.

Is lake anna were you go also?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-07-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I don't own either one, but I have ridden behind both, and I would go with the Malibu. There is a reason that Malibu's are used at some of the biggest tourney's around the world; the wake is first class all the way.

What major tournaments does the MB pull?

The MB's may be well built, but so is the Malibu. The wake is MUCH better behind the BU, stock or loaded down. JUST MY OPINION!
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-07-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Cl - Yeah, Anna is where I spend all of my time. Check your PM. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have :-)
Old    stillstandin            12-07-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
MB or Bu, they are both top notch, and you cant go wrong with either. BBR, MB is a small company, them not pulling major events has nothing to do with the quality of the wake, or the boat. Look at Sanger, they pull no contests, and dont sponsor anybody, but you will still hear people rave about the wake, and build quality.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       12-07-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
totally agree craig.. thats why i said theres no point in listening to people on this forum to decide what boat you choose.. people care more about where they see the boats name than anything else
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-08-2006, 12:07 AM Reply   
I own an 05 MB V23 here is my 411. I love my boat love the room and the bling bling look. SOmeone on here said you have to really move stuff around to dial in the wake which I have found to be true. I feel the quality is excellent inside and out or obviously I would not have bought it. Now my friend Buzz on here has an 05 VLX and I love his boat...monster wake and great fit and finish. I love the Bu's and I love the MB I own. Come on guys anyone who says MB hands down or Bu hands down makes me laugh. Either boat will be great...just demo and figure out what works best for you.
Old     (firedawg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-08-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
Daniel, someone who speaks the truth. Thank you. You are correct, both are great boats and both companies back their product. The prospective buyer needs to go demo the boat and check out the service center. Once that has been accomplished then make a decision.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-10-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
My first post on WW was "MB B52 or Malibu?" I got about 75% of the people said Malibu. So I test drove both of them, crawled around them with a fine toothed comb. I bought the B52. Now I couldn't figure out why so many people would put down MB when the boat made such a nice wake, had plenty of room, and excellent fit and finish work. Then I found out that MB is a limited production boat. So it stands to reason there would be more people who would say Malibu because there are way more Malibus out there. I have friends with Malibu's and thay are nice boats also. For some reason though when we go to the lake they always want to get pulled behind my boat.
Board More/Work Less!
Wadd$
Old    AWS            12-10-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-10-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
sweet!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
Johnny Wadd...you got my vote for coolest profile picture
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-10-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
That is a good looking boat!!

Bu' got nothing on that!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
That boat is sweet.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Here's mine...I love this boat.Upload
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-11-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
I love my boat to!!!Upload
Upload