Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Between the 7.3 and the 6.0 which would be better/more reliable? I am thinking about getting a used one, adn there are lots of choices, but I am not familiar with the engine models and their pitfalls. Thanks!
Old    mendo247            02-08-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
6 of 1

1/2 dozen of the other

as far as reliability i would probablly say the 7.3.. the 6.0 is famous for problems but Ford has gotten most of that stuff figured out with recalls and what not..
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

The site has forums on both engines. Keep in mind, most people like to post problems, but they are not without merit. I have the 6.0L and I've recently fought thru some gremlins. Hopefully it's all worked out now and I'm good to go.

6.0L main 'knocks' are injectors and turbos...MOSTLY '03 early '04 models. Mine is March 'Monday' vehicle and I have 7 new injectors in it. Thankfully Ford extended the warranties to 5yrs/100K miles on the 6.0s.
Upload
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Hard to say depending on who you talk to. I have one with the 7.3 and I have a truck with the 6.0. I have had problems with both engines but for the most part they both run strong. I would have to say though right out of the box you are going to have better power with the 6.0 because of the power to weight ratio. The Excursion weighs about 6000 lbs. and is a little sluggish with the 7.3 without putting a chip in it where as the 6.0 runs like it is chipped already.

You might look at other things like cost, color or what's available to you now. Either way you go it will be 100% better than the V10 pig that is offered. if you go with the 7.3 it is wise to buy an extra cam shaft positioning sensor and keep it in the glove box and learn how to change it yourself, they tend to go out and leave you stranded in the middle of the intersection. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to change this for you and it is a simple swap out.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Paul - You are correct in your analysis of the early 03/04 issues, I am on my second turbo right now on my 6.0 and so far so good but I have heard of the replacement turbos going out again after a few hundred miles, they use rebuilt ones not new ones for this warranty work. I will say though contrary to what others say for the most part I have not had any major problems with any of my PS whether it be the 7.3 or the 6.0. I currently have 3 PS diesels and had a 4th one that I sold a couple of years ago and besides the turbo and a cam sensor they have been pretty reliable and strong.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-08-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
I agree with CAR

Ive had both 7.3 and 6.0 If you can get the 6.0 in a 05 thats great. Stay away from 6.0 before 05. All the 7.3 are very good engines and if oil has been changed is good for 300K. OIL Changes are critical and expensive. Damn thing holds 14quarts of oil (oil and filter is $50.00 if you do it yourself.- reason injectors use crankcase oil as 1500psi hydraulic oil via a secondary highpressue oil pump. Do not buy a used powerstroke without oil change verifications.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
I don't think it's unfair to say Ford has/had some troubles with the 6.0L, but for all the negative posts you read there has to be 10? 100? 1000? that have experienced no problems. We knew going in some of the potential issues. Having 50K miles and ~3yrs of warranty pushed us over the edge. This Excursion does everything we want it to do and more! I know people always say "you can't feel the (boat) back there" but it's true with this package.

If you decide on the 6.0L, try to get one with some warranty left on it. Go to a Ford dealer, or post in the forum I linked to above, and provide the VIN # along with a request for an OASIS report. The report will list all warranty work done on the vehicle. Also, please be aware that any diesel with a 'tuner' package is subject to immediate void of any remaining warranty! That would be something to check into also.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Here is another good website about anything you could possibly have questions about regarding your powerstroke, it is run by actual ford mechanics who do this for owners.

In addition to the factory warranty I have an extended warranty through another company that works out pretty good, they usually pick up half of your deductable if you have issues needing warranty work. like I said in the above post I recently had my turbo replaced and it cost me $50.

www.powerstroke.org
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
We bought a used 2004 X with the 6.0 PSD last February. Engine build date was 03/25/04. We have put 18k miles on it in the past 12 months and the only problem we have had was a leaky glowplug seal which was covered under the 100k mile warranty. The 6.0s have had problems, but there are literally 100s of thousands of them on the road. Typically you only see the negatives online.

Any used Ford diesel truck you are looking at go to www.flatratetech.com and ask the guys there to get you the OASIS report. This will let you know what work has been done on the vehicle. Very useful info. Per our OASIS the dealer had done all the recalls and the X had been trouble free for the previous owner.

We love our X and it has been the perfect vehicle for our growing family (currently 2 kids & 2 Weims). It tows like a champ and is a pleasure to drive.

Upload
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Is there a problem with not driving them often? My thought was to pick up a used one for towing the boat, longer trips with the dogs where room would be nicer than my Discovery. I thought it would be a good 3rd vehicle. Pick up another VW for the daily commute.
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
IMHO I don't that would be a problem at all. I think the short daily trips would be worse. These things like to get out on the highway and hammer down.

For whatever it is worth, I have a friend with a 04 F250 and we have put on more miles in 12 months than he has in 3 years. He uses the truck mainly for towing his boat and desert runs. His truck runs great.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Most of the turbo problems that I have seen are due to short trips or pampering causing choking in the vanes that slide to make the turbo geometry change(I am cleaning one as we speak.). It is important to make sure that a used 6.0l was just that used,worked,pulled not driven around town and to church. I think this may be a problem even more in the excursion because of they are more likely to be a family hauler instead of a truck. IMO you can't go wrong with a 7.3l I replaced a water pump on a 03 yesterday with 380k on it. I know the guy and it is very well taken care of but this has been the only repair to the powertrain other than 2 u-joints to date.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Yeah...the truck would be majorly overkill for most things I would use it for. In fact a Tahoe...gas...would be fine. I would like the higher MPG when towing even though my boat is light, and I want the gargantuan amount of interior space. I have 2 dogs, one of which is a great dane...so space is good.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
I've had a Yukon XL and now the Excursion. The Yukon did a good job for us and had the most comfortable front seats of any vehicle I had been in. I think the Excursion is ~6" longer than the Yukon XL. We decided to go with diesel for longevity and the Excursion was the only one out there in a larger SUV platform.

Probably the same advice as many of the boat war threads on here, go drive and sit in both. You will either confirm your wants or change your direction based on what you find.

Shewt...just noticed your in the same area I'm in.

(Message edited by P-hat in Cincy on February 08, 2007)
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-09-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Yeah Paul...I am on the exact opposite side of the city. We're over in Hidden Valley. We ride a couple times a year at Norris. Both my friends there have 205V's like you. One just traded and bought a new x1 though.

There is a nice one at the dealer near me...but having the time to stop by has been the issue. At almost 30K for a used truck I would anticipate it being there a while.