Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: Which prop rotation do you prefer?
Left hand rotation 6 66.67%
Right hand rotation 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-05-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
My Malibu has a Right hand prop rotation and I dont surf very much but I like the right hand pull when docking and pulling up to riders. This way I can keep the rider on the right side of the boat and I can catch the dock when im pulling up to a pier by myself.

What are the pros for left hand prop rotation?

I searched the board and couldn't really find a poll or discussion so here is my question to you all. Enjoy!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
my understanding is that the left hand prop was initially designed for waterskiing with the prop rotation meant to counteract the weight of the boat driver when driving with just the driver and the skier.

Being goofy foot, it also comes in handy for me when I surf behind our SAN.

Pulling up to the dock sucks though.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
I thought the spin of the prop was also dependent on the rotation of the engine...is that not the case? On our SAN, we have the GT40, which I was told rotates opposite of GM engines. Therefore, we have a reverse-rotation prop as well. Ours backs up to the left, which is a bit more challenging to pull into the dock because the helm is opposite.
Old     (tdub)      Join Date: May 2009       03-05-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Dave - I think that you have a LH prop on your Bu'. That would give you the pull toward the starboard/driver's side in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohangtime View Post
I thought the spin of the prop was also dependent on the rotation of the engine...is that not the case? On our SAN, we have the GT40, which I was told rotates opposite of GM engines. Therefore, we have a reverse-rotation prop as well. Ours backs up to the left, which is a bit more challenging to pull into the dock because the helm is opposite.
That is not the case. For example, both Nautique and Tige run the PCM 343 engine. Nautique uses RH prop rotation and Tige uses LH prop rotation.

I definitely prefer the LH prop rotation as it is far more intuitive when docking.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-05-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
I was always told also that RH was to counteract the driver only weight. My Century Coronado was RH rotation .When I re-powered I went with a LH setup but have not run it yet to see the difference..
I think in a larger boat it's not as noticeable?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-05-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
I prefer the LH rotation. It's nice when I swing the back of the boat around to the dock because I can look down the side of the boat and see where I'm at. With RH rotation you have to look across the boat and you still can not see the platform. With that said I think It is all about what you are use to. It was kinda weird driving my brothers Nautique for the first time.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-06-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
TIge and Nautique both now use Left hand rotation. Nautique has been doing it since 06 or so I believe, but I could be wrong about when they started.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-08-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Haha woops thanks for the correction TDub.