Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
I want to get a new vest but all of the ones that I like the best are non cga. I think would like the extra movement you get in the non coast guard approved but never rode with one before. Any opinions or suggestions??????? (was looking at 07 jet pilot baller vest)
Old     (hydrophile)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-05-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
I have that one and it floats me no problem. It keeps my chin above the water without any paddling.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-05-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
These days there are so many nice CGA vests that are slim and non-restrictive that I see no reason why not to wear one. Check out the Jetpilot Core; my buddy just got one and I was questioning its approval because it is so thin, but it is.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
The Baller floats well for a non CGA. I have worn a Helium Flak and it if I breathed out, I sunk down. My Baller was wearing out, so I got a Quiksilver CGA and it is about the same thickness. The Baller is pretty thick for a nonCGA.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
I was worried about when I breathed out not staying up.... love jet pilot vests. I have a jet pilot cga stance that I got it when i first got into wakeboarding a few years back but it was too big on me and time fore a new one.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
no reason not to wear CGA.
Old    kidrik            05-05-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
And the beat goes on, and an on an on on........
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
i have the ronix vest and it floats me fairly well, without a board on I float at about nose level and up to my forehead when i breathe out. the board adds enough bouyancy to keep me up with it on though. the ronix vest is like wearing nothing so thats what i wear if i do wear a vest
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-05-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
i have a jet pilot cga thats a lil older but honestly most ppl think its a non-cga and i dont know about everyone else but when im tired in the water i dont feel like treading water.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
I knew I would get a bunch of different opinions... I was just wondering because I really like the looks of the white baller vest and can get it for like $50.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
the baller will float you better than most. O'neill Law is thin CGA good floater. I'd jump on that baller. stay away from JP A10, Oneil guru.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
Why stay away from the A10?
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
i wear the jd webb and it floats me fine.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
the A10 is the least bouyant life jacket I have ever worn. It floats me at like my forehead. If you don't mind not floating, either by treading water or just using your board to float yourself then it is a great choice I had it before my ronix. I think the ronix is a little more comfortable than the A10.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
i wore my buddys A10 once and you might as well be wearing nothing. I have a helium vest thats the same way but i use that winching since im not really doing very much swimming.
Old    swass            05-06-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
For you anti-Darwinists, you can see it in action right here.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
I had the JP baller in white. Floats well for non cga. Problems with it though were that the padding wasn't stitched in place. If you took a hard fall, the padding would move around a little and you would have to adjust it. Also, with white, it got a yellow tint to it rather quickly. Unless you plan on riding in crystal clear water, expect it to gradually gain a little tint. I'd sell you mine for 40 bucks if you want it. I have the new O'neil checkmate now. Doesn't float as well, but enough.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I'm using the jet pilot core this season and it's awesome thin light and definitely floaty enough
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
...just saved me the cost of an A-10 (thank you)...anyone have advice for another vest that would provide good rib impact protection?
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-06-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
I didn't think cga vs ncga made that much of a difference, but last weekend I forgot my vest and decided to wakeskate without it. Well the only time I have not worn a vest I tweaked my knee. It was a bitch and a half to try and keep myself afloat while waiting to be picked up. Something to think about. If you are seriously injured you'd want as much float as possible.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
another reason to wear a jacket while wakeskating, I was wearing my ronix jacket wskating and I fell and pushed the board out in front of me and as I fell the board came back and hit me square in the chest. It knocked the wind partially out if me but without the vest I think it would of completely and maybe cut me too. I always wear one when wskating
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
+1 for the baller.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Jet Pilot Core CGA and Jet Pilot O.G. CGA are both nice and thin and CGA, cant go wrong with either vest IMO.
Old    star_star            05-07-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
without question get cga. they are very ergonomic and segmented so restriction is no longer a factor. always play it safe when it comes to an inherently dangerous sport.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-07-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
The oniell vapor from last year has great rib protection, and is pretty thick. It floats really well for non-cga. I had the oneill gooru last year and it was way to thin and didn't float well.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-07-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Try the Jet Pilot Murray Full Metal Jacket. It is a CGA vest that still moves really well. I know the argument is endless, but when you sit in the boat all day and watch people take hits, it really seems stupid not to wear a CGA. Not to mention, you don't get hassled by "the man".
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-07-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
^ good point.

Some of the helium vests have the lumbar/back support deal. nothing but a PITA IMO, but may provide some rib support.

gooru: umm.. yea, not too bouyant but hey, its damn comfy!
Old    star_star            05-07-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
travis, i wear the full metal jacket and it is just as you described. there isn't enough reason not to wear cga when there are jackets like the full metal jacket around. i truly don't know i have it on. it is very loose and bends every which way i bend (which, honestly, at my age and stiffness isn't very much). still, stick with cga and don't force the others in the boat to have to go in after you. i remember, last year reading where shaun murray got knocked out and was floating upside down in the water. if i remember correctly he made a big push in wakeworld and elsewhere for everyone to always wear cga. please correct me if i am wrong, travis.