Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hodad_hater)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Riders on my lake are having trouble nailing a 360. Although it is fun to watch the attempts, start to finish I'm looking for help/pointers. Some riders using the '06 Brigade, I'm riding the IS blue '06.
Old     (coreylakers)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
Dear Mark:

I believe you need baby powder and princess tiaras to complete a 360.

Love:
The Corey Lakers
Old    surfdad            08-03-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
If Tiara's are hard to come by in your area, you might check this thread:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49673&highlight=360#post49673

It has sequence pictures with explanations and a good narative. The site requires that you register to see the pictures, but it's probably worth it.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-03-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Hi Jeff,
Do you think you could help me with my 360 by looking at these sequence shots. I have rotated all the way around many times but I still sink. I am working at looking over my shoulder to spot the boat but I can't seem to stay with the boat.
I am always amazed at your pictures and the level of riding you and your family do. I have never seen anyone do a 360 in person. Maybe I should just come watch you guys ride!

Upload Upload
Upload
Thank you!
Sue
Old    surfdad            08-03-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props Sue, you're always welcome to session with us if you make it down to NorCal.

Two things I would recommend for you. You're pocket length is a little tight, so you're going to want to spin pretty quickly, without over-rotating.

You're on a P5 of some kind - Oogle? So that should allow the spin.

I'd like you to try a few things. The first will seem very out-of-place, but I want you to start your 3 further back. I know the natural reaction when you drifting out the back is to start closer to the boat, but instead I want to aim for placing the nose of the board right at the very peak of the wake. In the first photo, it's about in line with your back foot. What this will do, is cause the board to spin and come back down almost in place.

The second thing I want you to do is to turn UP and IN to the wake in conjunction with dragging your rear hand. Even if you don't land the first few, turn UP and drag the rear hand. I'm going to repeat it :-) turn UP and drag your rear hand. As you can see in that first pic, your not turning at all, and your hand is the only thing causing the rotation...which is part of the reason it's so slow.

Now, more than likely with those two changes, you'll come really close to landing them. However, if you still drift out the back after 8 or so attempts, I want you to use BOTH hands. So instead of dragging just the rear hand, reach around with your leading hand, and drag that also. Using the leading hand will do two things. One is it almost forces you to turn into the wake and the other is is that it will aid in speeding up the rotation.

So, to recap:

1) Start further back...aim the nose of the board for the very peak of the wake.

2) Turn UP and drag your hand.

3) If you still need a quicker rotation, use both hands - reach around with the front hand, place it in the wake right next to your trailing hand.

Keep us posted and take some sequence shots.

Good luck!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-03-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Jeff, thanks so much for your detailed explanation! I will print it and put it in the boat.
I am riding a Phase Five Prop. On one of my attempts, I came around really fast and I was so shocked I forgot to pump to keep up. But every attempt since then, I seem to rotate very slowly. I must have turned up and into the wake that one time. With your help I hope to land a 360 soon. I will get some more shots on my next ride.
I appreciate the offer to ride in NorCal. Your not that far from Idaho, so I just might have to take you up on it sometime.
Thanks again!
Sue
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-03-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sue if it makes you feel any better I still haven’t stuck a 3. Let’s get them before the season ends.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-03-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
I landed my first and only 3 with Jeff's help.
If this 56 year old overweight bad kneed surfer can do it anyone can. Keep trying It will soon happen.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-04-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Edward and Dennis for the support. I can't wait to land my first 360. Jeff is really good at analyzing the pics and explaining what to do. Now if I can just follow his advice. We won't ride this weekend but I will go out during the week.
Old     (speez)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-04-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
ive almost got my 3's down, i can stay centered over the board well now and i just barely dont have the drive right at the end of the spin to catch up and get back in the pocket. i seem to do my spin more as 2 180s as opposed to 1 360 with a slight pause between while i shift my weight. any pointers for keeping the spin more continuous? i think my problem is that very subtle pause makes me fall back just a bit to far.
Old    surfdad            08-04-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Hey speez, it's a little tough to diagnosis without the picture sequence, like Sue did. The first thing I'd ask, is why not take advantage of the two 180's strung together? I've seen a number of folks that do the three this way. Once the first 180 is spun...ride the board backside switch down the face just for a bit to get up further in the pocket, then spin the last 180.

If you're looking to make it a continuous flowing spin, you can speed the spin up in a few ways. One is to pull harder or longer with the trailing hand, that by itself is usually enough. The other is to use both hands to initiate the rotation.

Get us some sequence pictures and we can probably help out more.

Good luck!