Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakebrother)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-15-2013, 11:36 PM Reply   
Just bought a 2000 x star would like to try and surf behind it. Need some suggestions on what board to get there are so many to choose from. 2000 lbs of ballast but the surf wake is small compared to newer boats. Im 6 feet tall 150 lbs, looking for a beginner board but also something I will like as I advance, also think I would like a skim style board over a surf style.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-16-2013, 4:39 AM Reply   
Skim will work better wih a small wake. I like the liquid force Dom skim board. Pretty boyant for a mass produced board. I have also heard good things about Victoria skim boards, and I know brigade will soon have a skim style board out. I don't really know anything about ronix skim boards.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-16-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
Look for something used on C list that you can beat up for a summer, ride different people's boards and see what you like.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-16-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
The number one selling board for my store is the Hyperlite Broadcast. It is offered in 2 sizes (4"8" and a 5"4") and is a great board to have in the boat at all times for all skill levels. Last year the Byerly Volt came out and it too is a rad board for its price. That board only comes in one size 4'10". These boards are compression molded and built like a wakeboard. They can take any abuse you give them and are usually less money.

We also deal Liquid Force. They have the Fish which is offered in 3 sizes and is the equivalent to the Hyperlite broadcast in my opinion. A great board for everyone that is easy to ride. The Dom Skim that another user mentioned is a really cool board. It is the equivalent of say a phase five design that is compression molded and is going to be slightly faster and looser than the other boards mentioned above.

Hope that helps a little.
Old     (wakebrother)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-17-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
thanks for the invo guys, Im looking at the liquid force dom skim board seems like it would fit my needs for a decent price. couldnt find anything on c list. just have one question i dont understand how the sizes work how long of a board should I be looking at?
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
Length of board is consisted of a few variables- Riders Weight, Riders length preference, wave size, wave shape etc.

In a nutshell, you dont weigh very much and the 5"4" Dom will be great for you. If you have other riders pushing the 200 lb mark maybe consider the 5'8". If you have a heavy rider surfing too small of a board, the board will tend to sink or pearl and won't get enough drive and push from the wave.

I would recommend the 5'8" if you want a board that has the ability to fit larger riders and will still provide you with a high performing board to do airs, spins etc.

In most scenarios when I am selling, after you grow out of a HL Broadcast or LF fish or something similar, personal preference takes over. If you havent ridden enough to have a preference, you will find out what you like after racking up some hours on the lake this summer and riding other boards.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-17-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
The length of the board is pretty arbitrary. It is a hold over from the surfing world to an extent were length is more important since overall shape/volume is very different with different length boards. This is not necessarily true in the wake world. Not quite clear, I know. Width and thickness have a much great effect on volume and buoyancy. Wakes are small, regardless of how awesome someone thinks their boat is. Anything over 5'6" and you are getting into the territory of being too long for most wakes. You can ride a 9 foot board or even a sup behind the boat, but you cannot turn them in the pocket.

Based on your height and weight, you seem average to tall and pretty thin. You need to look at smaller boards.

Tarek is reasonably accurate except for that he mistyped feet and inches versus inches alone. Skim boards are generally marketed as X-inches (like 54", or 4'6") not 5'4". Surfboards are marketed in feet plus inches, ie. 4'8". A 5'4" or 5'8" skim board would be huge......
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
^ whoops he is right..the LF Dom Skim is either a 54" or a 58"... mistake corrected thanks!