Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    rebel            04-03-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have two clarion tower spkrs w/ seperate twtr and the factory 500 watt amp (MC). What spkrs should I buy, or stay w/ the clarion's- I want 4 spkrs and do i need another amp? I need suggestions b-4 it goes on the water?
Old    doubleup1080            04-04-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
You could just keep the speakers as they are and maybe upgrade to a Phoenix Gold or Soundstream amplifier to give the speakers a "true" 500watts which will let the speakers play cleaner and louder
Old    riverfreak            04-04-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
i'm a speaker/stereo idiot, are the boss marine speakers the same brand as the car stereo brand boss, I found a pair of 5 1/2 150watt on ebay for $26.....are they any good? anyway I have a pair of 6/9s mounted under the dash, but need some marines where I had the old ones that went out....opinions?
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
no, they are not the same. stay away from boss car audio.

there are a bunch of other threads on 6x9's and other speakers. take a look...

do you have an amp?
Old    riverfreak            04-04-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
no, don't have an amp, so are the boss marine OK?
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
without an amp you don't need great speakers, would be a waste of $$ to not power them correctly. you need an amp for boss set-ups.

you had some marine 6x9's? mounted under the dash? or are you looking for 6 1/2's or 5 1/4's?

i wouldn't bother with marine speakers, they are more expensive but don't sound any better or necessarily last any longer. make sure the speakers you buy have polypropolene cones and they'll last a couple of seasons without abuse.

without knowing what size you need it's hard to tell. what kind of deck do you have? you can find good 6x9's for around $100 and 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's for less on the internet.

stay away from claims that sound too good....$26 for handling 150 watts is BS.
Old    riverfreak            04-04-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
these are the speakers

5 1/2 is the size I need for some old holes that I have on each side, (stock speakers) they'll be exposed to rain and some water....so I would need marine? not car? like I said, a stereo idiot
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
That is the same as BOSS car audio. That is just a "marine" version that some manufacturers make. The only thing that makes them "marine" is the cones are made out of polyurethane and the grills are plastic. However many quality speakers are made out of polyurethane anyway. The metal grills may rust if they are exposed to water but they can easily be painted black again with a spray can. For decent speakers you can look at Infinity, JL Audio, Polk Audio, or MB Quartz. Expect to pay around $100 a pair on ebay. Amps are similar. High end amps are Phoenix Gold, PPI, JL Audio, Soundstream, Memphis. You get what you pay for.

You still should try to protect your stereo equipment from water as much as possible. Wipe the boat down and put a cover and dehumidifier if your boat is going to be exposed to the elements.