Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-01-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
I just found out I'm headed to Seattle tomorrow for a conference, and I'm bringing my wife along.

I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants. I'm staying at the Westin.

Also, my wife wants to go out and about during the day while I'm in the conference. Is it safe for her to go out by herself?

I've thought about renting a car, or is it worth it to just use public transportation.

Thanks,

Eric
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-01-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
although seattle's public transportation kicks ass, i'd rent a car. ray's boathouse is pretty good; good food and good views of the sound. if you can, drive out to redmond to theno's dairy for the best ice cream EVER!

oh, and i hope you don't mind the rain.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-01-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
I have never actually been to Rays but have always heard good things about it. Elliot's Oyster House on the waterfront is a good and not too far from The Westin. Plus you would basically walk right by Pike Place which is a tourist staple. For the most part Seattle is safe. If you want to see an awesome view of Seattle take a cab or bus up to Kerry Park on the south slope of Queen Anne. Alki Beach is awesome but the weather is so terrible I am not sure I would waste my time. Your wife can also check out Westlake Center which should only be a few blocks away from your hotel. Other restauraunts to consider are El Gaucho and The Metropolitan Grill. If you have time at lunch you should try and make it to the Wallingford/Fremont area and get a ridiculous Cuban Sandwitch from Paseo. Maggies Bluff is a good grill type place on the water as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
The best place in town to eat is called El Gaucho. Its a throwback steakhouse in Belltown (swanky part of Seattle on 1st). If you want a good drink and very unique experince check out Bathtub Gin & Co. on 2nd. Its very safe for your wife to go out and about. If shes wanting to shop have her go to Pacific Place, within three blocks is Nordstrom and Westlake Center as well. If you guys do the Pike Place thing go to the Zig Zag Cafe, it was named by GQ magazine as the top place in the country to get a cocktail. Forcast is Rainy but it looks like Wednesday should be sunny and 60 degrees.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-01-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I'd like to jump on a ferry at some point too. Yay or nay on the rental car?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
I personally would get one. Seattle doesn't set up well for walking and I hate public transportation.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
El Gaucho's is fantastic, the Seattle one kicks a$$ over the Bellevue location for atmosphere. Wild Ginger (Asian fusion) is good too.

The above advice is sound. You'll find a few sketchy places (around the jail and courthouse for example), but they are still safe. From Pike's Place you can walk down to the waterfront and lots to check out down there. Grabbing taxis would not be a bad way to go. I personally HATE driving in Seattle and have not tried public transport. When I go solo it's on my motorcycle.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
Wild Ginger is our go to in Seattle! Damiana Margarita while you're there.

I guess I'm different on transport, but I guess it depends how long you are there. When I stay in Seattle, I walk everywhere, but I'm only there for 1-2 nts at a time cuz I live close.

And for drinks always hit up Vons. Nothing fancy, but "spin the wheel" is novelty there. We were just there this weekend and spent a few hours there. Spin the wheel every half hour and get the drink special. It's always fun and low key.

Hate, I'll have to check out bathtub gin and co...never seen it...

Last edited by hawk22; 11-01-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added low key
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Surprised nobody mentioned Salty's on Alki. Stunning views of Seattle in the evening.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-02-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Salty's on Alki. Stunning views of Seattle in the evening.
Salty's has a good view but I have never been impressed with their food. It just isn't that good and overpriced. I have heard their breakfast/brunch is really good though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hawk, is an old time speak easy style place in an alley with nothing more than a 6x5 plaque to indicate its there.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Space Needle is another. In the past it was crap but the manager from the Metropolitan took over last year and it's been receiving great reviews as of late.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Salty's has a good view but I have never been impressed with their food. It just isn't that good and overpriced. I have heard their breakfast/brunch is really good though.
Great view, OVERPRICED food and experience. Alki area is cool, but I rather head a bit further up the point, grab a tread and chill on the beach and not in Salty's
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-02-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
I was in Seattle not too long ago...we reserved a window table at the Edgewater Restaurant (Inside the Hotel) and it was fabulous food was great(the King Crab was amazing)...great bar...good service, etc. It's a little pricey, but it is definitely a nice fine dining restaurant. The view cannot be beat!

As for walking around...there are weirdos/homeless people in pretty much every major city, but she should be fine as long as she stays where there are a lot of people.

Definitely rent a car or take taxis. Busses and the the weirdos above seem to go hand in hand.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-02-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
Noonan,

You are supposed to call when you are up here. It's been a while.

Troy
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-02-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by depswa View Post
Busses and the the weirdos above seem to go hand in hand.
there's a HUGE difference between taking a bus in l.a. and taking a bus in seattle.

when were you in seattle noonan?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-02-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. I didn't rent a car as parking at the hotel is $40 a day. Crazy. The light rail ride from the airport was only $3. Can't beat that!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-03-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Thanks for all the info. I didn't rent a car as parking at the hotel is $40 a day. Crazy. The light rail ride from the airport was only $3. Can't beat that!
Did you get to check anything out or eat at any good restauraunts? The weather was beautiful yesterday and looks to be the same today. Maybe you should come up more often.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
We didn't do much yesterday in terms of going out. I had a lot going on to get ready for today. We did hit up a pizza place called Serious Pie that was great, then later went out for a quick bite of sushi at Red Fin that was quite good as well. I think we'll head over to Elliot's tonight. My wife is thinking about doing the food tour at Pikes tomorrow. I'm bummed we're only here until Friday. We'll definitely have to come back up here again.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-03-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Elliots is great...you'll like it.

Joe,
I took the bus from Green Lake area to Downtown and it seemed about the same as an L.A. bus ride (maybe NOHO or HOLLYWOOD-wise). Although I don't think I'd catch a bus through South Central...I'm sure that'd be a different story!

Troy and Umali...I was up there at the end of July. Hoping to get up there again...maybe spring? Would love to play some golf and maybe ride?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by depswa View Post
Would love to play some golf and maybe ride?
better plan for an august trip then.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-03-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
HA! True...lol