Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    mddecker            11-04-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
Ok, so our boat sunk. The boat is owned by Tulane University and we use it for our water sports club. The boat is a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter. We have been having many problems with the boat, mostly based on the fact that it is used and abused by about 50 college kids. Anyways, last Sunday some people went up to go out on the boat. When they arrived at the slip the boat was under water (picts below). We are not sure what caused this, although we have one hypothesis. The bilge has been broken for about 3 months so we have been draining the excess water by taking out the plug on the back of the boat, driving at like 30 mph for 10 minutes then putting the plug back in. What most likely happened was the people on Saturday did not put the plug back in tight enough. Any who, we have insurance so we are most likely going to get a new boat. My question is: does anyone have any tips for dealing with the insurance company? And also, what are some suggestions for a new boat, in the $25k-$33k range?
Sunken boat 1
Sunken boat 2
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-04-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
you didn't take out the plug, ha!
Old    norcal_99            11-04-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   

"so we have been draining the excess water by taking out the plug on the back of the boat, driving at like 30 mph for 10 minutes then putting the plug back in." ~~ So you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, jk.

Sorry to hear about the boat sinking. Next time, save yourself some misery, and fix the $20 bilge pump.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-04-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
"The bilge has been broken for about 3 months so we have been draining the excess water by taking out the plug on the back of the boat, driving at like 30 mph for 10 minutes then putting the plug back in."

Do you mind if I send this story and pictures to my local newspaper for their bonehead boater award section?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
how about sending the pics and quote to the insurance company.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
I am sure I would give the insurance all then information you provided us here. Knowing you had a defective bildge pump, and knowing it took on water is something you should have fixed. Kinda like telling them "I ran my car engine without oil even though I knew it was empty." Also, try taking care of your boat. All of us here go to great lengths to make sure our boats are in top shape and running order every time we go out. I don't think you or your school deserves a high end wakeboard boat.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-04-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
The Insurance company will most likely fix your old boat not give you the money for another boat. But look at it this way now you will get that 20 dollar bilge pump you guys were to cheap and lazy to replace. One question after you stopped to put the plug in did you have more or less water in the bilge than when you started or did you put the plug in while you were still moving??

(Message edited by tcaton on November 04, 2003)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
that swass message got zapped fast!

perhaps you should sue malibu for making a boat that sinks even if you don't hit an underwater object with your wedge.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       11-04-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
Could this be another story for DontBuyMalibu.com… I like this one even better that running into something with the wedge down… Doooh!

Not sure about recommendations on how to deal with the insurance company…. But if you do get a new boat…. I recommend that your water sports club add a class on boat maintenance to their schedules.

I agree with Andrew.

Time to joint the swim team.
Old    swass            11-04-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Just for the record, I deleted it myself. I haven't been "moderated" in quite some time.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
hahaha... this whole situation is hilarious... Common case of not treating the boat properly... taking advantage of situation... Do you really think you deserve another boat?
Old    starstudded99            11-04-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
Im sorry but that is a really hilarious story....You have to admit that you could have been taking a lot better care of that boat.....and i definitly agree that there should be some class on boat maintenance because if you don't take care of your boat your going to end up right back in this situation again...... Anyways good luck dealing with the insurance company but until then i would go grab a bucket and start bailing out all that water.
Old    norcal_99            11-04-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
You know you're a redneck when.......
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
you wouldn't happen to have more pictures (of larger size) of it?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
This does answer some questions that have come up in the past. A malibu won't sink to the bottom! It will still float
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
andrew, was it mooring lines holding it up though?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
OOhhh good questions. I wonder if the original poster of the message will come back with more details, or will stick his head in the sand in shame for posting this in the first place.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-04-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
Decker is a bud of mine and we are from Minnesota. Yes he and his friends are idiots when it comes to boat maintence. I told him not to do this in the begining of Sept when he went back to school, but of course no one listens. No mooring lines. The thing will float. And yes he should sue Malibu!!! HaHa that guy with the wedge falling off and breaking open his transom is a tool. I was looking into buying a plane ticket to go down to use this sunken boat when I heard the news. I guess no boarding for me until May
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
if there was someway to keep the engine dry, just think of the wake this boat would produce!
Old    mddecker            11-04-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
As far as it not sinking, it is sitting on the bottom. The water is not that deep in the slip. Anywho, yeah about putting in the cheap bilge pump, we actually bought one and it is sitting in the glove compartment of the boat. We were going to put it in the next time we took the boat out of the water. (yes another bonehead move) All I have to say is, yes we are dumb and should have gotten that earlier. But, on the plus side we are getting a totally new boat or, at the least, getting everything fixed that the school would not pay for.
-dec
Old    mddecker            11-04-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
As far as it not sinking, it is sitting on the bottom. The water is not that deep in the slip. Anywho, yeah about putting in the cheap bilge pump, we actually bought one and it is sitting in the glove compartment of the boat. We were going to put it in the next time we took the boat out of the water. (yes another bonehead move) All I have to say is, yes we are dumb and should have gotten that earlier. But, on the plus side we are getting a totally new boat or, at the least, getting everything fixed that the school would not pay for.
-dec

p.s. hopefully it won't be a Malibu
Old    mddecker            11-04-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
p.s.s. I don't know what word they are trying to censor above but I meant to say fixed.
Old    jlm            11-05-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
something is really wrong with our university system....
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-05-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
Tulane, huh? watch out for that green wave next time (boooh, that was bad)

insurance is really gonna cover this? that sux, doesn't seem like much of an accident to leave the plug out.

no warning sticker?
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
I hope you won't get another Malibu either.

Maybe a boat like this will last you longer.(maybe)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
they need a boston whaler "unsinkable"
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   

hkghj
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
decker

I found you a boat on e-bay.It's perfect!

(Message edited by mcfatty on November 05, 2003)
Old    mddecker            11-05-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
yeah that big red freighter would kick up some wicked wake. Just for the record, we did not leave the plug out. I just don't think it was tightened down enough. But the kids who were up there could be pulling stuff out of there *** so I dunno. And yes, we will make sure to watch out for that green wave.
-dec
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-05-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
Whats wrong with a Malibu? I think they're GrrrRRRRRREAT!!!! Too bad they didn't take care of the one they had, probably would have lasted a while longer..