Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-18-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
Thinking about getting a new stereo for my 2000 Suburban since mine seems to be on its last legs. I want to put in a double din and I know that it only has a 1.5 din opening. I researched it and will probly do the 2003-2007 dash bezel and radio cage conversion if I can find a bezel to match the color I have right now. (ITS A PIA!! so far) Anyway, I was thinking pioneer with blue tooth, but was wondering what some of you might be running. Also, I really don't car about NAV since I have my iphone. Thanks in advance for the suggetions.
ALSO, Install tips are always greatly appreciated
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Go with the Pioneer App radio, though I'd wait a month or two for the App Radio 2 to come out. Then you can fully utilize your iPhone (App Radio 2 will be Android compatiable as well, + bigger screen and a few other enhancements). That will allow you to use the Navigation from your iPhone, plus stream Pandora and many other functions.

I'm still considering doing the dash conversion for my 02 Avalanche to do the same thing. My issue is more of spending money on a vehicle I usually average driving 1-2 times a week tops, especially since I already have a full system in it (Premier 980BT head unit, 2 10" Kickers off an Eclipse amp, Kicker Components in the front and Infinity coax in the rear). Also have a Garmin Nav custom mounted as well, along with my Sirius, so I have a nice little command center going.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Go with the Pioneer App radio, though I'd wait a month or two for the App Radio 2 to come out. Then you can fully utilize your iPhone (App Radio 2 will be Android compatiable as well, + bigger screen and a few other enhancements). That will allow you to use the Navigation from your iPhone, plus stream Pandora and many other functions.

I'm still considering doing the dash conversion for my 02 Avalanche to do the same thing. My issue is more of spending money on a vehicle I usually average driving 1-2 times a week tops, especially since I already have a full system in it (Premier 980BT head unit, 2 10" Kickers off an Eclipse amp, Kicker Components in the front and Infinity coax in the rear). Also have a Garmin Nav custom mounted as well, along with my Sirius, so I have a nice little command center going.
Whoa, that App Radio 2 looks pretty cool. I've got a root Kindle Fire running in my car right now. I tether to my phone for internet and GPS to the Fire. Moving that into the dash is a lot closer to what I really wanted in the first place.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-18-2012, 6:40 PM Reply   
I do like the ap radio, but also want DVD capability. I know u could run videos through the iPhone maybe, but no room on my phone and it's a 32 gb
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-18-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
you dont have to buy that dash bezel, my budy has a duable den in his 01 tahoe, all they did whas put a regular head unit trip piece and nothched the top and bottom out. it seriously looks factory. as fare as the duable den i would go with one of these, innovatek, you can find it at mp3playerstore.com my buddy just bought a new 2012 b&h go-fast boat and it came with one. its badazz. its seriously unbelievable all the things it can do. and i was blown away when i looked it up and seen the price!!!
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-18-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
i just take to him on it. they actually used the duable den trim piece, not a regular head unit piece. but they used the duable den trim piece for a pattern to cut. he said it was about a xtra 1/4 inch on the top and bottom of the factory dash bezel then he used the duable den trim to fill it in.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2012, 11:17 PM Reply   
I took a quick look at the Pioneer specs... not sure I'm liking what I see in regards to inputs. My car has a plain old mini stereo aux in that I use a ton. It's mostly wired to the DVD player in the back for the miniMagic, I really need a hardwire option via RCA or mini stereo, that input is handy for a laptops too (keeps the MrsMagic a happy camper on road trips). I need front and rear fading out puts too, I have an Audio Control LC6i in there now, that runs my sub channel, but fading on the speakers is a must for me.

Adding video to the dash would rock too. I do that now via my Kindle but it's clunky at best.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-20-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
I looked at the Innovatek units and they had great prices, just not sure about support and longevity though. Always a concern with knock offs. Also saw that people could not always get the features to work. I guess a single din slider might work, but then some say there are issues with the shifter being in the way when it slides out. So I will keep researching. Found some good install vids on YouTube too.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-20-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have a 00 gmc sierra, so I know exactly what you want to do, and I found diy stuff on it as well, personally the only way its going to look good is the dash swap, its really not hard to do, and the out come is factory, but the downside is the center console I have(yours should be the same) it doesn't look like it will fit with the newer lower dash...

And I used to have a 7 inch flip out and it does interfere with the shifter. And it gets extremely annoying