Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    phlames73            09-17-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
ok...i havent posted on here for a while...but i really need some help...i have to do a Senior Project in my school to graduate, and it involves doing a project, then writing a paper...my probleme in in the area of doing the project...making something...for my creating, ive decided to either build a wakeboard or a wakeskate...i know a skate would be easier..but then again, i dont know anything about building either of them. i Live in salem oregon, and i need a mentor, there are NO boarding shops around...and i dont know anyone with any experiance in this feild that is ever in or around the salem area that would take time to help me on my way...i thought about asking Mr. Murray, haha, but i doubt he has the time, or want, lol. what i guess im asking is, what should i do, the board or skate, and any direction on HOW to do it?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2003, 10:38 PM Reply   
No promises, obviously, but I wouldn't write off contacting Shaun or his father, Lloyd. They seem to be terrific people that at the very least may point you to someone who can really help you.
Old    phlames73            09-18-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
i would LOVE to contact them...if i knew Shaun's email, or what not...it would be great...anyone have any help in that direction? thanks for the help, Andre!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
Not sure about Shaun's, but try his Dad at

LMTWA@hotmail.com
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-11-2003, 4:28 PM Reply   
Lucas, give them a shot, ya never know, i contacted Lloyd about doing a vid with Shaun for my senior project and they were VERY cooperative. Unfortunately Shaun had broken his leg 4 days b4 we got down to orlando, but they were really cool about it and invited me and my whole family out to Shaun's house to hang out for an afternoon, it was awesome. They are really cool guys, defenitly e-mail Lloyd, it may take some time b4 he gets back to you but I'd be shocked if you didn't get some sort of response. Interms of your project, look towards surfing, a lot of people shape surf boards and I think you'll find the process will be very similar. If you decide on a wakeskate, there are TONS of different websites about making your own skate. I have seen a couple about making your own wakeboard, but not many. I almost did the same thing as you for my senior project, but then i changed my mind to video. Anyway, if you need help finding info, or websites send an e-mail my way and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Good luck! And don't hesitate to e-mail me.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Lucas
OK I thought someone was talking about me - and since you are not the first to ask me for this kind of help, I suspect there are others, as well, needing some direction. I don't build wakeboards or wakeskates (neither does Shaun) - but I'm guessing we could find someone who could help. So email me (and anyone else looking for a project) and maybe we can pool our information. If anyone has any specific links - send them to me. Andre was correct LMTWA@hotmail.com. When you're finished - we can hook you up with some stickers for the board(s). Good luck.

Bess - that kind of stuff (riding at Shauns) was supposed to be top secret - unfortunately, we don't have time to do that very often
Old    absolutofft            10-12-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Just get a steamer and plywood and 2 clamps, voila you have a wakeskate, It may not be the perfect ride, but hey at least it will look correct.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-12-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
sorry..
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
I was really "half" kidding....

L
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-15-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
Lucas,
I have made few boards in my time and could give you a little guidance. You can check out my profile to see the one I am currently riding. Probably going to make a new one this winter. A wakeskate is way easier than a wakeboard though. I think it takes me around 100 hours to make a wakeboard and about $300. A wakeskate though I could probably whip out in a weekend.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries