Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Kemikal)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-18-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
The past two years that I've been surfing I have only filled my surf side ballast and the center ballast. I keep reading more and more about some folks filling or partially filling their non-surf side as well. What is the advantage?

Just for reference I have a Sanger V215 with 1100lbs surf side, 500 in in the floor, and this year I added a 625 bow sack.

Would it be worth filling the non-surf side tank as well?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-18-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
Try it and you tell us
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-19-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
in my experience as people have gotten more and more comfortable wit weight in the boat they have found that you can over weight it on one side and create oddities in the wake. To combat this people have started to fill the non surf side to sink the boat further and level it out a little bit.

try it out and experiment with adding weight to the front of the boat too. Experimenting with the wake is half of the fun of wakesurfing.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
Like others have stated, you need to try it on your boat. My Mojo likes the extra weight in the off side as well as in the bow.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-20-2013, 6:41 AM Reply   
it's all about displacement and every boat is different, my 23 MB gets longer and cleaner without as much tilt to the boat, I started with about a quarter (1150 stock each side ) or maybe 300 on the non surf side and have gradually gotten up to about 3 quarters or 700ish, play with it and see what your boat likes
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
On my LSV23, I thought I had it dialed with mls left, center, and front, full; a 1100lbs bag in the port locker and a 750 on the passenger seat...until I also filled the non-surfside mls. It made a big difference in the cleanliness and shape like free mentioned.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-21-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
Gas is also a big factor. My vlx would not surf very well with a full tank. My 23lsv works ok with a full tank, but you have to ad more and more water to the oposite rear side the lower your gas gets to keep the wake consistant.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-26-2013, 4:53 AM Reply   
here is an old shot of a "more level" setup, driver and a not even 100lb girl
Attached Images