Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (kent_fowlie)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
I'm finishing off the car port beside my house and want to know what size garage door people are using.
The boat is 8 ft wide so I was looking at a 9 ft wide by 8 ft high door.

Thanks for any suggestions

Kent
Old    swass            05-06-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
12 feet wide, 8 feet high. The garage is 15 x 25, roughly.
Old    handyman            05-06-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
Using a 9 ft wide door doesn't leave much room for error. I have a 12 ft wide X 15 ft high door.
Old     (kent_fowlie)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
It can only be a single garage (built on the side of a house). Has anyone parked a 20 - 23 foot boat in a garage with a door that size (9x8) or will it be near impossible to back the boat in?
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-06-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
At only 9ft wide that would have to be a smaller boat to fit comfortably--I have a 17ft Four winns and the outside dimensions of the fenders on the trailer are at 7' 6"...so I opted for a 10' door and 7' tall on the house we are building right now.

I think that you will want at least 6" on each side of the fenders. (assuming that you have a pretty straight shot back to the door)

sw
Old    svfara            05-06-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
You can definitely get it in, just not a easy.

My trailer is 8' wide & 23' long
Garage door: 9' wide, 6.5' high

Biggest problem with mine is the height, it just squeezes in with the tower down.

Needless to say, I only garage it for the winter...

If I was using the garage everytime, I would want atleast a 10ft wide door
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-06-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Best to go a foot or more wider then the trailer. Fold your tower down and measure from the ground to the highest point on the folded tower. Then decide how tall to make the door.
Old     (cgutzmer)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-06-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
yeah i have the same problem:

My trailer is 8' wide & 25' long
Garage door: 9' wide, 7' high

My problem is the height, The tower does not clear folded down so i have to take it off and back the boat in. I hold my tower on the ceiling with bike hooks.

I have to do this everytime I use the boat and I must say I am really good at backing it in. Haven't taken the garage out yet.

If you can make it wider go with 10ft sounds good.
Old    jml0835            05-06-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
I have a 2003 Launch LTS, and my garage doors are 9'. The boat only clears the door by 3" overall on width, so backing in can be a challenge. To get the boat out I walk it out by hand, then hitch it up. It is a pain in the rear, but beats keeping the boat outside. Go for a 10'door if you can.
Old     (655mac)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-06-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
9' x 7' garage doors suck! Stay away!