Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
I have black boat and everytime we go on a trip we come back with one side of the boat with lots of fine scratches from a weekend of docking and rubbing against the bumpers. Is there any tricks you guys use to avoid this problem? I was even thinking of trying to mount a microfiber towel around the bumpers to help.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-22-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
When i was using bumbers I used fender covers made from polyester. Now I use hippity-hop balls and have no issues.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
x2 on hippity hop. You can find these or other name brands for about $12 each. Also, they are much better than bumpers for tying up with other boats. More room between boats for protection.
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
Which size of Hippity hop balls should I use? When I googled them I noticed several sizes. What makes these better for docking over the bumpers? I realize why they would work better for boat to boat.
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2011, 9:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
When i was using bumbers I used fender covers made from polyester. Now I use hippity-hop balls and have no issues.
I used some Mastercraft bumper covers for mine and they still scratched my boat when they rubbed back and forth.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-22-2011, 10:49 PM Reply   
Also you may use transparent film (decal) at the bumper contact area. Its not hard to replace 2-3 times during summer.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
go with the hippity hops. i have an all black boat too and will not tie up to people with traditional bumpers. the hippity hops are cheaper and softer so they don't scratch. just tie a rope to the handle and you are good. Order online or go to your local Toys R Us and they will have the right ones on the shelf. We have been using them for years and they are awesome.
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
I also use fender covers. As long as you keep them fairly clean they do a nice job to minimize scratches. If you are in salt water the salt on the gel coat will scratch pretty much anything you put against the hull.
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
go with the hippity hops. i have an all black boat too and will not tie up to people with traditional bumpers. the hippity hops are cheaper and softer so they don't scratch. just tie a rope to the handle and you are good. Order online or go to your local Toys R Us and they will have the right ones on the shelf. We have been using them for years and they are awesome.
So what size of the hippity hop works best? Do you just run two of them when docking? I won't be using these to tie up to other boats just docking.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
anyone have a link to these?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
You can use any size you want, but the ones at Toys R Us and what I have seen online are all the same size. Yes 2 is fine for one side of the boat. I carry 4 so I can cover both sides of my boat in case I tie up to multiple boats.... Here is an example http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4342067
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Look close in the background of this pic and you will see that most of us all use them and how they work... will look for more pics http://www.joncurrierphotography.com...88863587_eAofw

Here is another pic http://www.joncurrierphotography.com...88960920_rg3Zt

Simply tie rope to the handle and then hang it from your tower or cleat. Use the excess to tie off to the next boat or the dock.

They are very durable. If you want to blow them up bigger use an air compressor, but then they git a bit big to actually lug around. Many just blow them up when they get there to save storage space. You can do it with your lungs....

Last edited by tyler97217; 04-26-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Few more....
http://www.joncurrierphotography.com...75276587_CzpNf

I can't find a pic of mine with the Z5, but we just throw them up on the Z5 and tie them down......
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
HEhe, sweet. You guys are gonna put the boat bumper business in Portland OUT of business, Tyler.

I have a couple that look like giant baseballs. It's hard to find them without little kid graphics all over them.

Only place I've seen more of them is on the Parker Strip on the CA/AZ border or on Canyon Lake is SoCal. They tie them up & down the docks at the various bars on the river.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Here's some plain white, or yellow with sunglasses (the ones I have).

http://www.jumpingballs.com/us/hoppi...-ages-3-6.html

Nice thing about these is that you can deflate them for easy storage. Pump them up and then you're ready to go.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-26-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
I have no experience with them but Taylor Made has a few different materials they use for covers and one of them is Fleece. That should be real easy on the Gelcoat as long as the fleece is clean.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-26-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
There's actually a banner ad that on the site for a product that may help you out: http://vantageresourcegroup.com/boat...protection.php