Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
So I got my 4 sacs, 2 260# for the front and 2 400# for the rear. Going to do a fully auto install on my cobalt. My plan is to use a single 1.5" thru hull and T that line to 2 reversible pumps. One will fill the front sacs and one will fill the rear sacs. I plan to use the 1.5" thru hull for filling and draining. Question #1 is should I use a strainer or mushroom type thru hull? #2 Will the pump be able to drain these sacs while underway? #3 Will the presence of this inlet towards the stern affect the way water flows under the boat and cause any disruption to the wake? #4 What size hose should I use to run from the inlet to the pumps and from the pumps to the sacs? #5 I assume the fill line from the pumps should feed into the bottom plug on the sacs and then a vent line from the top plug? I'm sure I will have many more questions as I continue to plan this but I think thats it for now.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-13-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
1 - strainer is pretty normal - check where the bottom of your boat sits on the trailer also before picking a spot to drill - don't want your strainer riding the trailer bunk

2 - depends on your thru hull - mushroom would probably drain better than a strainer type while moving

3 - probably not noticeable since you are using an i/o and the prop disrupts the water pretty well on its own

4 - I assume the pump in/outs are 3/4" or 1" so should be fine to use 1" hose everywhere after your 1.5" is T'd

5 - yes - fill/empty on the bottom and vent on the top - also vent line needs to at least loop above the highest point of the sack when filled
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-14-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Another question...if I use a mushroom type inlet, will I be able to fill underway as well as drain?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
^^^ Where will the thru-hull be located? If in the transom, then no you wont be able to fill. Once you start to get going, water is really not up on the transom. Draining should be no problem. I use a mushroom thru-hull in the bottom of the boat and it fills fine. I dont see that a thru-hull in the bottom would effect draining.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-14-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
The thru hull will be located on the bottom of the hull closer to the stern cause all the pumps will be under the engine hatch. So with a mushroom style inlet, I should be able to fill and drain while on plane?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
^^^ I dont see why not, should fill and drain just fine.

Please post back your results, even though it may be next Spring.