Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    auby            06-22-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
I am updating my audio system in my X7
Here was I've got;
4- Polk tower speakers
2- 12" subs
4-cabing speakers (facotry clarion)
1-400 watt amp (factory clarion)
1-400 watt amp
Heres what I looking to do-
I am looking to run my towers speakers and Subs seperate - w/ a sound adjuster remote for both. want the cabin speakers to be loud and clear - so that when I am either driving fast or have the subs running - the music is clear in the cabin.

What are your recomondations as to wiring, amp-setups, upgrades, etc...?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Start with at least a 100 amp alternator and 3-4 deep cycle marine batteries that are isolated from your starting and house load batteries and feed only the amps. You are looking at well over a thousand watts for everything. Run a massive main power wire and ground wire up to the amp location and get some serious distribution blocks.

3 amps, 1 for the cabin speakers, 1 for the subs, 1 for the tower. Opinions will vary as to the wattages you need. Look into an EQ that can adjust the levels for three amps, then you can control your tower, cabin, and subs seperately. You could also use the fader on the head unit for this as well, but you will only have 2 channels of control.

You could simplify and use only one sub and maybe get a 6 channel amp and bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the other 4 for the cabin. Something like the JL e6450 would work nice, it puts out more than it's rated power. Use the Clarion for your tower and see how you like it, you can always upgrade it. This setup would keep you right around a thousand watts and you could use 2 isolated batteries. You still should have a 100 amp alternator though or you will be draining batteries quickly.

Do a search here, there are a ton of nice setups that people have posted pictures of.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Even with three separate amps you "should" be ok with your stock alt. what year is the x7? do you knwo what size alt it has? and you'll really only need 1 extra battery, unless you plan on playign the stereo alot for extended periods of time w/o turning the engine on.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-22-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
IMO,probably no need to upgrade alternator with just a 1000 watts. I run just over 1000 with factory 65 amp alternator and never a issue with charging the batteries. I do have 2 blue tops with a switch and combiner and always keep my batteries fresh with a on board smart charger that I plug in after every use.