Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Hey all,
I've searched the threads and can't find anything about an average 100 hr. service price. I have an '05 Calabria Pro-V and got an estimate from the dealer and it seemed pretty high @ $550. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-21-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Well I bought all the parts and did mine myself, parts ran about $150.00 for a MC 205V. (Cap, Rotor, Oil Filter, Oil, Transmission Fluid, Transmission Filter & Plugs) The dang transmission filter was the priciest part (45 bucks) and you shouldn't have to do it for a normal 100 hour service, just change the fluid. It took an afternoon and is a great way to become familiar with your boat.

I'd recommend getting the common parts from an auto parts store (plugs, oil filter & oils) and only buying the specialized parts from the dealer (cap, rotor, etc.) to save additional funds and probably get better quality parts to boot.

As you can see from the cost of parts, the dealer has quite a mark-up going on labor.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Gordon,
That's the route I'm leaning to. According to the Merc. maint. schedule they are changing oil/filter, change trans fluid/filter, replacing fuel filters and checking/lubing steering control and linkages. Nothing else listed...
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2006, 4:01 AM Reply   
if you dont have dripless packing make sure you check that. i wouldnt recommend doing a plugs, cap and rotor at 100hrs its not really needed 100 hours is only like 10k miles in a car, just check all of it out and if you think it needs it then swap them out... $550 is high, were they including an impeller with this?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
400 for oil/filter, tranny fluid, vdrive fluid, and impellar. I'm sure they look over the rest of the boat as well. I could only stomach that much once before I started doing it myself. I can do it in an hour or two for 50 bucks now.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
You have an 05 Calabria and it still should be under guarantee. Doing it yourself could negate the warranty. In order for the guarantee to be valid, I believe you have to show schedule maintenance from a licensed mechanic.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I don't think a warranty can be voided for that reason alone. I think the dealers would like for everyone to believe that, but I bet it is illegal. I'd check with the manufacturer or get some legal advice before I paid outrageous amounts for "dealer service". Just document what you did and keep receipts and records. I could be wrong about this, but I remember reading about it somewhere.

Jman
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to pinch pennies. I am trying to get if it's a "reasonable" price or not. Found out it does include impeller, all fluids, cap, rotor, plugs....
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Sounds high to me but then again car dealers are charging $100.00 an hour around here to service cars. So, i guess its all in how you look at it.

I do most everything myself so i say its HIGH.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-22-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
In sac, the going rate is ~$350. The malibu guy will come to your house and do it (no taking it in, no waitin, available the next day) for ~$400.
Old    bigrich            06-22-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Car dealers $100.00 and hour. I work at a dealer in CA (name witheld for obvious reasons) and we start at $160.00. Sorry guys but gas prices are high.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
All you need to do is to replace the oil & filter, clean the intake breather, lube the ruter & if you have a grease fitting on the steering cable hit that too, Replace the Fuel water seperator. The impelers are good for two seasons and the plugs, wires,cap & rotors are good for at least 350 hrs. Every other season the trans fluid is good for. Make sure to not over look the trailer, bearings never have a service life, when they go they go.Make sure the boat buddy`s are clean & can move freely, you can tell this when you pack them the springs will bind if too much crap gets in them. Other than that boats have two gears and a comon engine. Very easy to work on.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Robb,
Can you shoot me the #? Thanks everyone for your help...