Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    symbian            08-15-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Just curious how I might go about getting more air?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
better technique
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Pretty difficult to tell you how to get more air when I don't know how much air you currently get. Post a pic.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Get a lesson or two. If not, go to a wakeboard camp. Some pro coaches will see you fly and show you what to do to get more air.

Don't fall into the "bigger wake" trap. Actually, it's better to learn the right technique and get maximum air with a smaller wake first, then take it to a bigger wake.
Old    symbian            08-15-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
no pics yet, ill try and get some this weekend.

thanks!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-15-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I agree Santa. Definately learn all your basic inverts and spins on a small wake and then start adding more ballast the better you get. With gas price the way they are going, I have actually stopped weight my boat and only use the wedge and people for ballast. Still pulling the same tricks minus 2ft of air. I actually notice that I edge harder with a smaller wake because I know I can charge it harder without getting bucked as much. Therefore I can take a lot my technical stuff like bs 180s into the flats.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on August 15, 2005)
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-16-2005, 12:03 AM Reply   
when I take someone out who is trying to go a little higher my advice to them is at the base of the wake try to jump or push the same way you would on your initial jump on a trampoline. after a couple of tries it should help a little.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
Jeff, after seeing someone else get huge air behind my boat without the appearance of really trying realized that my technique was lousy. This is kind of a golf swing thing.

I improved my air in three ways. First I went out only about 5 feet from the wake and tried use good progressive edge and stand tall into the wake. What we were noticing was that we were bending at the knees through the wake and losing all of our pop. Think about what you would do if you wanted to ride through the wake that another boat made. What I do is bend at the knees to try to keep the wake from bouncing me around. Now if you do the same thing to your wake, the wake your trying to jump you’ll lose all of your pop. When I started standing tall though the wake the difference was huge. For me the key was this practice exercise of progressive edging, from 5 feet out and then standing tall.

Second I got a progressive rocker board – big difference. I changed from a LF Trip to a Balance.

Third, once I had good jumps standing tall through the wake I added a push off. What I did was go out 10 to 15 feet, let the line get tight, crouch, drift in developing a progressive edge, then when I got on top of the wake stood tall, trying to crush the wake down.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
quit wakeboarding, start flying.

sorry
Old     (landon)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-17-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Buy a Sky ski...(Just kidding) I couldn't resist.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
photoshop
Old     (landon)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-17-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Sorry Jeff don't mean to hijack your thread but I thought I'd offer proof. Hope the link works. http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
I've been proved wrong before and therefore my apologies kind sir......... I didn't relize they hit another boat's wake. That is awesome.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-17-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
I'm thinkin' breath more deeply? Sorry, that was equally as lame as take up flying. Actually I posted a similar thread last week but got mostly stoner references about getting high. Since then I've increased my bong usage and added more weight to the boat. Also started cutting harder away from the boat and all the stuff that BigShow posted above is right on. Can't say enought about progressive edge and standing tall to get launched.